Author Topic: Anyone ever forget certain words after surgery or am I just going nuts?  (Read 11223 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Anyone ever forget certain words after surgery or am I just going nuts?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 10:43:49 am »
Hey, Bucko - been wondering about you, too.  Nice to see you again  :)  Don't be such a stranger!

Cathy -

try to rest as much as you possibly can.  At 15 months post op, I don't have the fatigue I had after surgery, but I notice that little issues still creep up on me when I'm overtired - balance, mixing up my words, dry eye, dry mouth.  The balance seems to be the most affected.  As you said yourself - don't overdo.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rick Everingham

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 06:45:55 am »
I'm 5 years post-op and I have that problem fairly regularly, especially when I am tired.  I also have problems with typing, the wrong word in a sentence.  Part of my brain know the word I should have typed was and, but the is what I type.  I try to blame it on having 2 teenagers.  ;D   But the reality is I still have some cognitive issues.
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 02:29:14 pm »
AAAARRRRR!!!!!!  I calls it gettin' me mords wixed up!!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 09:51:51 pm »
What kind of meds are you on? I have actually improved in this respect since surgery because I was able to drop the anti-seizure medication that was causing me to forget words.

The most stupid thing I can ever remember saying (and this was long before a medication side effect) was when a friend of mine and I were shopping for wedding lingerie. The saleslady told us there was a sale on camisoles and tap pants and I turned to my friend and said "Ooh, let's go look at the tampax."

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 02:26:50 pm »
Sara,

In my case, I take Lamictal.  I have been taking it for over 13 years for bipolar disorder.  I can't see myself ever going off of it because it is now a part of my brain chemistry, and it is what keeps my mood fairly stable.  I think when you put meds in your body, there is pretty much always going to be some trade off.  I am glad you are doing better with the words since you quit your meds, and especially after your surgery.  That is an added bonus.  Funny about the tampax.  Gotta find the "funnies" when you can.  Nancy ;D ;D ;D
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 07:42:46 pm »
Actually the only meds I take are ibuprophen occasionally. I have noticed a BIG improvement since I watch my fatigue.

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op right now, and I am wondering WHEN I'm going to feel balanced enough to drive. :-(  I'm getting close, but not quite yet. Also have my 4 week appointment with my Dr on Wed. with an MRI. Trying to figure out how much more time I'll need before going to work. Have been kind of thinking 2 more weeks of not working, and possibly then 2 weeks of working part time (at home). Wanted to get some things in my mind before visiting him and also checking out with the short term disability insurance company about the part time stuff -- if they still would pay for the 20 hrs/week that I was still unable to work. Guess I'll find out....

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.