Author Topic: Anyone ever forget certain words after surgery or am I just going nuts?  (Read 11224 times)

Kaybo

Re: Anyone ever forget certain words after surgery or am I just going nuts?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 12:53:24 pm »
NL~
That's a good one!!  I couldn't even begin to tell you all the funny stuff I've said, or even better HEARD over the years.  I guess there has to be some comic relief from this whole AN journey!! ;D

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 01:29:35 pm »
Bird Bath and Beyond!  That's funny.  And you know, it really could be a store....
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NL

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 05:16:03 pm »
NL~
That's a good one!!  I couldn't even begin to tell you all the funny stuff I've said, or even better HEARD over the years.  I guess there has to be some comic relief from this whole AN journey!! ;D

Cathy,

It seems you're really not alone in this - looks like they're are quite a few of us who still have the word issues. Maybe someone will start a new topic on it (or dig up a previous thread). I'm sure it would be a great read that would make us all feel a little better!

Nancy L - (trying hard not to hijack!)  :)
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 07:16:11 pm »
I haven't had treatment yet, but I can relate to the word thing.  I take anti-convulsants, and my doctor said that could be my problem.  My meds target the brain so I guess when you mess with the brain matter, you are going to come up with something funky.  I love the Bird, Bath and Beyond.  A great laugh for the day!  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 03:01:53 am »
Cathy,
I forget words too and at times it can be embarrassing.  I was talking to my doctor and couldn't come up with the word I was looking for which as it turned out was "good".  He tried to help out by guessing I was trying  to say"terrible"or something like that because I got upset ( because I couldn't think of the word, but he didn't know that) and the only thing I could say to him was that it was the opposite.  The word itself still wouldn't come to me.   Transposing letters when I type was a problem before surgery and I used to be an excellent typist, now it's even worse.  I hope this improves too.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 03:47:07 am »
I haven't had much problem with forgetting words maybe because I'm always reading and thinking in german and english and it helps with word stimulation.  I have noticed though that I will very often think of somthing I need to do or get and then when I'm there I won't remember what I wanted.  Yesterday I was in the bathroom and wanted to get a plastic bag out of the pantry but when I got to the pantry I didn't remember what I was there for, then when I went back to the bathroom I remembered what I wanted out of the pantry.  (Was Sie nicht im Kopf haben mußen Sie in die Beine haben) a german saying, what you don't have in your head you must have in your legs.  I my not be 100% mentally fit but a least its keeping me physically fit.

Dan in Germany   
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 06:16:38 am »
Hi Dan,
Love the German phrase.  In English I call it "destinesia"  kind of a cross between amnesia and destination.  I do this all the time (before surgery).  Since surgery I have had trouble spelling.  Hoping it will get better but grateful for spellcheck.
Mrcie, oops, Marci

:P
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

goinbatty

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 01:00:26 pm »
Nancy, I take anticonvulsant meds too but nothing related to the AN.  I was diagnosed with a seizure disordered 26 yrs ago.  But I'm right with you all on the word problems and typing issues.  I work on a computer all day and don't dare send even an email without checking it at least twice.  I'm not sure if this is related to the AN, radiation, menopausal issues or aging (47 if I remember correctly!).  A lot of my non-AN buddies are having the same issues though so age may have more to do with it but I also truly believe this AN and/or radiation hasn't helped the cause.  I just try to find humor in it and go on about my day but it can be very frustrating. 
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 02:02:12 pm »
Sandra,

I agree with what you said.  The spelling thing has really gotten worse in the past couple of years.  I think it is a combination of getting older and the anticonvulsant meds.  Will be interesting to see what happens once I have GK.  Humor is great.  I laugh at myself all of the time.  If I didn't, I would never get out of bed in the morning!
Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 03:48:56 pm »
Hello All~
I can honestly say that mine WAS brought on by the AN surgery.  I was only 25 when I had my surgery and these things STARTED happening to me then - I certainly couldn't attribute age or menopause! - I didn't have ANY of these problems before. 

Dan~
I remember going back to work after 3 months (remember I had a stroke too) and it was such an effort just to walk down to the office from my room.  I'd get there and have absolutely NO IDEA what I was there for!!  It was so discouraging - guess the exercise was good for me, but just getting up & teaching 1st graders all day was quite enough at that stage in the game!! A lot of times, they would get a rolly chair and just wheel me back to my room so I wouldn't have to walk!  I had great teaching buddies! ;D 

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 06:19:53 pm »
Yep! Me too! I like to go to Bucks Star for coffee. But seriously, I have talked to many folks post AN surgery and this is a common side effect. After almost one year later I still find myself groaning to find to spew forth a word that I want to say. It is less and less....ah....daily? No. Ah.....common? No! Ah.......Frequent! Yeah that's it!  LESS FREQUENT!  ;)
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 08:32:20 pm »
Everyone's comments have made me feel much better. I did have a big scare last week, though. I totally overdid it on Wed. and later in the day when trying to talk to my mom and brother I could only say pretty much one word. It scared us all a LOT!  After sitting and resting for about 45 min, it did get better, but I sure did learn a lesson the hard way. DO NOT OVERDO IT!

I slept a lot that evening and night and took naps the next day. Did much better then.  I feel like I am better but notice that I do seem to have more mistakes when I am tired. I can pretty much (but not always) remember the word pretty shortly after trying to remember it. I also make sure that i get plenty of rest during the day. I think that has also helped me.

Thank goodness for all my new friends to let me know I'm not nuts!

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Kaybo

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 06:55:07 am »
Uncle Buck~
I was just wondering about you - we hadn't heard form you in a while!  Glad to see you are still alive & kicking!!   ;D

K

Cathy~
Slow & steady...be careful!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 07:24:04 am »
K,

I have been just Baha'ing away and doing pretty well. Mornings are always my worst time getting the 53 year old gyro going to keep the shiny side up. Yeah I need to come see by AN buddies more often. Thank you. -bucko aka Uncle Buck aka Steve #2
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 08:56:15 am »
Good question!  I was wondering if it was just me, and glad to know this is a common post brian surgery "thing."  I have always had a great vocabulary and now I suddenly find my self missing words fairly regularly - huh!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com