Author Topic: Driving?????????  (Read 12825 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Re: Driving?????????
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 06:53:36 pm »
I did it. I drove today! I wasn't planning to, because I was really tired, and didn't feel as good as I did yesterday (I think I overdid it a little bit yesterday because I was feeling so good). But after a nap and my son coming over to mow my yard for me, we got in my car and I drove it to his house and to the little "grocery store" that we have. We live in a little town, so all local roads and short distances. I am excited. Another step in the right direction!!

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Tamara

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 07:00:23 pm »
Yay Cathy!  Way to go! :D

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 07:24:16 pm »
You get the big K WHOO-HOO!!!   Good Job!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 05:20:28 pm »
Way to go Cathy!  Keep it up and you'll be taking a road trip soon!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 06:01:39 pm »
Well, I am 10 weeks post-op today. And I am driving like a pro. Turning my head side to side doesn't bother me, and I even noticed the other day that looking in the rear view mirrors when driving doesn't give me the weird feeling anymore either. And I drive at night just as well as I ever did (lol - meaning it's always been harder at night, but I do it).

At 8 weeks post-op I got up my nerve and went on the Interstate to an appointment. I did fine. I agree with the others - driving is easier than walking.  ;D

Cheri - when I first got out of the hospital and would be riding in the car, I would focus on an object - like a stop sign or a traffic light - until we got to that point, then would focus on another object down the road a bit. One of the PT's I saw in the hospital gave me that tip and it really worked well. I noticed after a few days that I would start to look around when I was riding and only have to focus when going on a curvy road. Soon that got better too. If you haven't tried that, maybe it will help.

Here's to a speedy recovery - and being a taxi cab again!

Cathy

PS. I still don't like bumpy roads, but as with anything, the more you do it, the better it gets.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:03:15 pm by Dog Lover »
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

wcrimi

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 03:07:11 pm »
I just started driving (I'm at 5 1/2 weeks) and it's funny (well not really funny) how we have similar experiences.

It's definitely easier for me to drive than I thought based on the balance and wonky head issues I was having walking. I guess that has something to do with the motion of your head.  You are typically sitting rather still when driving.

I get a little bit disoriented when I'm on a bumpy road.

Intersections, stop signs, and changing lanes are a bit of an issue because I have to turn my head to look around quickly.

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

joebloggs

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 07:03:54 am »
Hi all,

I'm just reading this thread for the first time from a curiosity point of view (almost 2 months till my surgery and I'm trying to get prepared for what's to follow!)... in terms of balance issues - I'm looking at the sizes of the AN's... am I right in thinking that generally the smaller the AN the worse the balance symptoms post op?  I've noticed a lot of the smaller AN's seem to result in fairly full on balance issues.  I could be totally generalising - just something I noticed.  I know it's probably not wise to try and predict my post op balance issues based on the size of my AN - probably a fairly natural thing to try and do though.

Hope everyone is doing well with the driving!

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 09:24:16 am »
This is one thing which can vary widely too.        I was told of this by my surgeon with my first surgery.     I am NF2 and now have had 4 surgeries.              I think some varies by tumor location and how long you have had it before surgery.         I was unusual and am not sure why in that I have never been dizzy.    Some wake up and the room is spinning.        I have always been up and walked well from day 2.             I found out I did have balance issues when went outside to walk.   The weird head feel was quite there.      Keeping yourself walking helps.   it does improve.         Malls and big bright stores will bother you.    Dusk and the dark will too so make sure to have night lights post op.                I was also unusual when last spring had surgery on the other side than my 3 other and did fine walking post op.         I was expecting to do poorly and need PT.
   I do always have some balance issues but walk ok.         I may weave some and do have some wide based gait.         I am used to it but my granddaughter a while back asked why I walk funny.  She knows of my ear problems so told her it was from that.                    I can not walk on slippery conditions so this time of year is not fun.
    It is normal to wonder how it is all going to be.                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

wcrimi

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 09:50:14 am »
I have read that typically the larger the tumor, the more likely that it has done some damage to the balance nerve on the impacted side. So the other side of your brain has already started to compensate. That would make for less balance issues post op. I'm not sure how reliable that correlation is though. I think you should count on some balance issues post op and if you are lucky enough to not have them, consider yourself lucky.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

golden

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 11:59:54 am »
 I had a 3.7 cm AN removed and I didn't attempt to drive for 3 months. I have vision and balance issues. Turning my head results in dizziness and nausua. I started out taking short drives in the country where there is less traffic and I didn't have to turn my head so much. I slowly built my self confidence up to driving short distance in town. I still don't drive far from home and definitly no long road trips but, I can drive to the store, take and pick my children up from school, and drive myself to Dr.s appointments. Everyone is different in there recovery. Who knows you may be driving right away. Stay POSITIVE. After surgery everything is on your terms. Don't rush yourself into anything YOU don't want to do.

wcrimi

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 05:44:29 pm »
golden,

When did you have your surgery?

Edit:  OK I see that you had surgery in April 2007.  I think you will find a lot of the help you need here. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:46:50 pm by wcrimi »

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 06:19:28 pm »
Hi Charlene:  For me, driving was much easier than walking - the only thing I had to learn to negotiate quickly was turning my head from side to side - looking at the side-view mirrors.  I began driving 3 weeks post op out of necessity.

& I just passed my vision test at the DMV, so I'm a happy camper !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:59:41 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

joebloggs

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 08:03:51 am »
Cheryl and Wcrimi,

In regards to size of AN and correlation with pre-op balance issues/post op, just had my pre-op vestibular assessment the other day at the hospital... good times, 3 hours of testing resulting in me falling on top of an elderly lady in a tram just afterwards... nice!  Anyway, despite the tram incident, looks like my balance system is really good.  Not quite as good as the left side, but the lady testing said considering the size (2.7cm at last look) it's in excellent shape.  She said that will probably mean that my balance after the op will be all over the show, but we'll see!  Stay tuned!

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

wcrimi

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 07:21:26 pm »
"She said that will probably mean that my balance after the op will be all over the show, but we'll see!  Stay tuned!"

What do you exactly mean by "all over the show"?   I never heard that expression.  ???

joebloggs

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 06:51:57 am »
Ha ha, sorry, it's probably an Australian expression... umm all over the show means, very messed up.  So if I said, I saw my mate down the pub last night and he was all over the show he would be pretty drunk and staggering etc.  So if my balance is all over the show, I mean I'll probably be quite dizzy and unable to walk in a straight line etc.  Hope that helps... I forgot that most people wouldn't understand that!!