Author Topic: Driving?????????  (Read 12824 times)

cincinnati

Driving?????????
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:45:28 am »
I am 8 weeks post-op and still have terrible vertigo. :-\ I am terrified to drive, since I can't even walk straight. ;D When do you start to see improvement and are able to drive???? I am doing the exercises for balance and the nausea is gone, thank goodness, but, does anyone have any other suggestions??? ???

Charlene
AN left side 4mm x 3mm
hearing loss left side
CFS leak healed
I feel like a bobble head, still dizzy
Palsy on left side much better
 Middle Fossa 6/27/08
 Pensak and Theodosopolus Mayfield Clinic Cincinnati

Tamara

Re: Driving?????????
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:43:23 am »
Start slow, get used to how things look now, and don't worry if you're driving like a granny.  If you can, go out to a parkway with another driver and give it a go.  That way, if you need to, you can have that person drive home.

I just took a deep breath and jumped in (about 5 weeks post-op).  Things still look weird (with some vertigo) when I turn my head quickly to look for traffic, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Best wishes,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:17:15 pm »
Charlene,
  Glad to hear your balance is improving, even if it's not as fast as you'd like.  You're doing exercises which will help.  If you aren't working with a Physical Therapist (Physical Terrorist  ;) ), try working with PT that is familiar with Vestibular Retraining, it helps speed things along.  If you're already working with a PT, then I'd say taking long daily walks seemed to help me the most.
  My PT suggested that I wait until I could turn my head suddenly without the swooning wonkyheaded feeling before starting to drive again.
  Keep working at it, it does get better.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

cincinnati

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:48:09 am »
Too funny, Donna-Lynn. ;D I actually figured out you meant 3 months. ;) 

Thank you sooooooo much!!!!!!!!! ;D I feel tons better!!!!!!!!!! It helps to know that I am healing normally.
 Every bump we go over in the car or brake movement I feel like a bobble head. :o

I am not walking very much and will definately start doing more of that.(It seems like the more I do the worse I feel, so, I will definately take the advice of baby steps and work up to it)

I will see Pensak today at 2:45 and will ask all the questions.

Charlene
AN left side 4mm x 3mm
hearing loss left side
CFS leak healed
 Middle Fossa 6/27/08

satman

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:27:23 am »
it took me 6 months
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

cincinnati

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:54:34 pm »
Well, I am going to start physical therapy at the Center For Balance. They feel it should really help. Also, Pensak mentioned a sugical procedure they can do if the therapy doesn't help. Has anyone had this done????  The first appt. I could get is not until Sept. 8th.

I am also going to see a lady for my tinnitus. I am anxious to see if she what she can do to help.

Also, they said I am a good candidate for BAHA. But, they are back ordered right now and will have to call me. Interesting. ::)

Pensak did say it could take up to 6 months to get back to a good game of golf. Guess I had better start now since I don't play golf. :D

I am going to practice driving this weekend and see how it goes. :o

Charlene
AN left side 4mm x 3mm
hearing loss left side
CFS leak healed
 Middle Fossa 6/27/08

oHIo

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:40:53 pm »
Charlene...PT at the Center for Balance is a great idea.  They helped me both pre and post op. 

I did not drive until right before I returned to work at 9 weeks.  I still cannot multitask while driving--or even listen to the radio. 

Interesting about the BAHA because I am supposed to have mine on Sept. 17th if my insurance company quits stalling about a decision.  I had my BAHA eval in June, so maybe they already ordered it.  Did they do a BAHA eval and trial on you?

I'm 5 months post op and still haven't learned to play golf.  ;)  I guess I still have another month to learn.  ;D

I'd love to know who you are seeing for the tinnitus.  PM me if you wish.  Also, I forgot what part of Cincinnati you are from...we should get together sometime. 

Hang in there.  Things really do get better. 

Static

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:10:19 pm »
Driving is way easier than walking, especially at night.  Riding in the car is a whole different story because that still makes me dizzy and I'm almost 5 years post op.  You don't have to balance while driving because the car is already balanced on its tires and you are sitting!  Good luck!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:33:05 pm »
Well I finally did it yesterday being 4 weeks post-op.  I decided to try driving and going to my bank which is just around the block.  I did very well, then since I was in the same plaza I stopped and picked up a few things at the grocery store.  When I asked my doctor how soon can I drive he told me "You'll know".  I'm not a bit sorry I tried.  I will try again tomorrow.  A little at a time.  I still have a balance issue, but as it was said, you don't need balance to drive, just keep your eyes focus........I live by myself and getting tired of waiting to get a ride......
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Tamara

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 05:19:58 pm »
Good for you Lamsue!  My first driving trip was a whole 5 blocks to Walgreen's.  After that each time out was easier and easier.  You'll be back to "normal" sooner than you think!

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 01:10:02 pm »
Personally, I think the driving is a whole lot easier than the stores!  I still avoid Wal-Mart on weekends - just too much going on for my brain.  Haven't tried night driving yet - but with winter coming, that will be next!  I always have blurry vision from drops and eye-goo, so not sure how headlight glare will affect that. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 05:59:08 pm »
Just a note on the subject of driving and wonder if anyone has noticed this...

I have a short memory  and don't remember just when I started driving  :-\... but here I am 14 month
post op and still get dizzy and nauseated riding in a vehicle... driving is OK...it is riding with someone
else driving that I have problems with ...I am thinking holding the steering wheel gives me more
stability or something...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:04:28 pm »
All the comments about driving have been very reassuring. I've been doing pretty darn good with the walking. I went to Gordman's the other day with my mom (middle of the day, so not busy) and lasted an hour before I got tired. It was a little more difficult that walking outside, but i did it! I've been contemplating if I can drive yet. Riding with someone else driving doesn't really bother me anymore, and turning my head fast doesn't really make me unbalanced, but more of a second of whoa, ok, I'm here (if that makes any sense). Like Sue, I live alone and am so tired of waiting for people to give me a ride somewhere. I am very close to giving it a try to my son's house, which is about 5 min away in a small little dinky town.  :)
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Tamara

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 07:02:44 am »
I am very close to giving it a try to my son's house, which is about 5 min away in a small little dinky town.  :)

Go For it!  I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how you've adapted!

Happy Driving,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 07:06:56 am »
Congratulations, Lamsue  ;D  ;D  ;D

Dog Lover -

the key to driving again is to start with short trips on local streets.  Once you can master that, move on to farther trips and more heavily traveled roads.

You'll get there - no pun intended  ;)

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways