Author Topic: High Cholesterol and AN  (Read 3967 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
High Cholesterol and AN
« on: August 11, 2008, 01:17:25 pm »
I just got off the phone with my GP.  He ordered a bunch of blood test and this past Thurs Dracula did her thing.  When I heard his voice on the phone I thought oh boy now what.  As it turns out in a very short period of time 6 months to be exact my cholesterol is very high.  Now I've gain weight from being on the Neurontin and I actually started the weaning off process.  Is the neurontin playing havoc with my system?  I am not eating more in fact I'm very careful of what I eat because of the weight gain side effect.

I've been reading up on cholesterol and I do admit I need to be more active and they said stress is also a contributor to high cholesterol.  Stress unfortunately is my middle name these days.  Headaches, ear pain facial issues like hemifacial spasms, waiting for the pathology results from my recent surgery, worrying about returning to work and of course being part of the watch and wait group.  Who wouldn't be feeling STRESSFUL?  Oh yeah, being 48, female and all of the funky things going on......stress what's stress!!!!

Anne Marie
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:11:34 pm by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lori67

Re: High Cholesterol and AN
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:34:43 pm »
Really Anne Marie - sounds like you have nothing at all to be stressed about!   :D  HA!  Just kidding!

Well, they do say stress can elevate your cholesterol levels, so it sounds like you have enough stress to shoot those levels sky high right now.  Mine went up after my surgery too - and yes, I haven't been as active, but I haven't really changed my eating habits, so maybe stress is the culprit for me too.  My doctor suggested I take fish oil capsules.  I don't know if it's working because I go back for my 6 month re-check next month, but I'll let you know.  When my husband's good cholesterol was low compared to his bad cholesterol, he told him to drink red wine.  Oh sure, he gets wine, I get fish oil.  Doesn't seem fair to me!

I also take red yeast rice capsules and try to get a little extra fiber because that's supposed to help too.  I guess we shall see next month!

Take a deep breath... think happy thoughts.... ;D
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:02:18 pm »
Hi Ann Marie,
I've heard about the high stress/high cholesterol connection too.  You certainly have more than your share of stress factors.  Did you talk to your doc or just an office assistant?  Maybe the doctor can prescribe a mild tranquilizer until things are more under control.  Do you have any idea of when you'll get the pathoilogy report from your surgery?

Hi Lori - It figures you would get the fish oil capsules -- maybe it would be okay with the doctor if you had a little red wine with them -- I'm sure James wouldn't mind sharing!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

yardtick

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 11:52:01 am »
I did a lot of very late night and early morning reading, until 5:00 am to be exact.  On Rx Wiki, I read that a high cholesterol is a very rare side effect of neurontin.  I stopped taking the med's immediately.  I'm still going to watch my diet even more carefully now and start walking when the sun goes down.

My cholesterol doubled from the last test and it's higher than my husbands.  I see my GP in a few weeks and we will be discussing this some more.  My concern now is what can I take for the headaches and neuropathic pain? 

Considering I hardly slept at the moment my head isn't too bad.  I'm going out to buy a decent pair of trainers.  Nothing like a little shopping spree to cheer a woman up......I can think of more interesting things to buy though ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

lori67

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:55:37 am »
Yes, but a decent pair of trainers will help you run from store to store faster - so you can buy all those other things!   :D

And carrying all those shopping bags counts as weight lifting - but you have to make sure you buy A LOT!  (and don't tell your husband I told you that - or he'll be forwarding the credit cards bills to my house!)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:12:56 am »
Lori,

I got myself a decent pair of trainers, they are red and white and very light weight.  I didn't want anything too heavy.  Louie really likes the looks of them and now he wants to find a similar pair in men's.  Maybe this is the kick in the butt he needs to finally do something about his ever expanding belly.  He is on med's for cholesterol.  Diet did not work for him.  He's like Garfield....diet is DIE with a T.

Oh by the way I need your address...... ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:22:54 am »
Anne Marie~
Doesn't a new pair of shoes always make you feel better - even if they are just tennies??  I have a weakness for athletic shoes that I have had to let go of b/c of all the $$ and now kids, but when I was single and taught PE - I had shoes to match every outfit!  I don't know how good I was at teaching, but I was one styling PE teacher!!   ;D

Good luck with you BOTH as you execise - remember to start slow and work up...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 01:56:38 pm »
Anne Marie -

If Louie is as good a cook as you say he is, it's no wonder you both have high cholesterol!   :D  Doesn't he also make wine?  Maybe you should both drink more of that!  It may not lower your cholesterol, but you'd be happy anyway! 

Kay - I know what you mean about the weakness for sneakers - when I worked as a PT, I had a closet full of them.  James never understood why I needed so many pairs of sneakers.  Men...  they just don't get it, do they?   ;D

Oh, and my address.... uh... I live in - Chicago.  Right next door to Jan.  Send those bills to her and she'll take care of them.  She's rich, you know.   ;)

Lori

JulieE

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 02:17:22 pm »
well, I have gotten my laugh for the day from this thread: Dracula and shopping and Lori's
Oh sure, he gets wine, I get fish oil.
But I have to say I take the issue seriously, and personally.  My 1st ENT (Not the surgical phy) was trying to make me feel better about the AN diagnosis and told me I was more likely to die from my high cholesterol than from the AN.  WHAT? It was kinda like when she put up my films and pointed out my deviated septum b4 she showed me the tumor - talk about insult to injury!  I'm 43, healthy (except for the tumor in my head)- only 116 lbs. and eat extremley well; all organic, whole grains, restict the amount of red meat I eat (and I drink red wine when I eat it!).  So I was surprised.  I had my battalion of tests right after Christmas (and yes, I let Dracula in too...), and I had eaten too rich, and had too much stress (I blow glass right up to Christmas Eve. meeting orders), so I wrote it off to that.  I guess I better retest now - afterall, I have met my deductible. ;D  I wonder if their is a connection?  Lets keep each other up on our findings / results!
Jules

yardtick

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 04:06:17 pm »
Lori,

Let's clarify things........ I'm the cook, Louie is the pizza maker and wine marker.  He has come along way with his cooking talents but the boys prefer my cooking.  Louie has a tendency to over salt and use lots of oil.  I have always watched the amount of oil, butter or lard I use.  My husband thinks more is better.  He is an excellent grocery shopper I must say. 

Now Lori you still have to give me the house number and street name so I can mail my credit card bills to Jan ;D  Its so nice having caring rich friends  :-*

Kay,

I'd sooner buy a nice pair of shoes.  I must have 10 pairs of thong sandals.  They make your feet look so pretty compared to sneakers.  Now with fall coming there's a few quite boots I wouldn't mind.........These boots are made for walking and that's just what they do, one of these days these are going to walk all over.......high cholesterol!!!

Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 08:26:09 pm »
Anne Marie~
Oh, I have a whole closet full of shoes - I like them all but now I have to go for the more sensible ones that I can walk in!  I love the new Privo! shoes by Clark's...I still just have a special spot for teenies!!
 ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 02:52:30 pm »
Oh, thong sandals - I LOVE those!  I always buy a bunch in the fall when they are all on sale - then the next spring it's like Christmas, or my birthday with all the new shoes! :D

Meanwhile, on the high cholestrol --- your chol can change quite a bit just with dietary changes.  Big thing that I've learned to watch for is trans fats (fortunately very easy to watch for since labeling requires it now.)  Sneaky little bast***s are hiding in a lot of places!  And, of course, dark chocolate in moderation is key!!  And it goes so nicely with red wine...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

yardtick

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 08:32:25 am »
Debbi,

I just got 2 new pairs of thong sandals, one silver with cute little silver tassels and one in teal blue ........you are right it's like Christmas, but without the cold and snow. 8)

Back to the cholesterol, I spoke to the pharmacist and he feels the spike is due to the medication.  I'm off the med's and I'm reading every label on the packages of food.  I'm so glad the garden produce is so plentiful.  Lots of beans, tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuces.  I have never been a junk food eater but I will admit chocolate is a weakness, but a piece of chocolate once a month never hurt anyone!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

lori67

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 08:13:07 pm »
One piece of chocolate - once a month????   I thought is was supposed to be one pound of chocolate once a day???  No wonder my cholesterol hasn't gotten any better.   :D  And I thought my clothes were just shrinking in the wash... guess not.

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 09:39:55 pm »
Geez!  The cat's away the mice will play, eh, Lori  ???

Just about the time I was getting ready to respond to this thread and thank you for agreeing to pay Yardtick's credit card bills, I see you've passed that wonderful chore on to me  :P  I always knew you were a generous soul  ;)  I just didn't realize until now that the generosity came out of my wallet instead of yours  :D

Jan - caring (absolutely), rich (yea, right  ::) )

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways