Author Topic: on the road to recovery  (Read 23335 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: on the road to recovery
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2008, 07:21:46 am »

Hi Phyl,
We watched "the band's visit" a quirky arab/israeli film about an Egyptian police band that gets stuck in the wrong town in Israel--not where they are supposed to play--and they stay overnight.  It was really charming but only if you like subtle, charming movies.  You know, no gratuitous sex or violence.  Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 98%.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kaybo

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2008, 07:56:21 am »
Marci~
Glad you got a good night's rest and NO headache!  And the movie was a plus too!
Have a good day!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2008, 12:01:55 pm »
Marci,

I envy you! How'd you manage a nap and a good night's rest so soon after surgery? I'm still having trouble taking naps. I can get one in there about once a week. And, it wasn't until this past Wednesday (6 wks post-op) that I managed to get 7 hrs of uninterrupted sleep.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

MAlegant

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:23 pm »
Hi Syl,
Don't know why my recovery is headed in this direction, just lucky I think.  The only thing I can think of is that I was in very good physical shape going into this and had increased  my running in the weeks prior to surgery.  I felt as if I was training for a marathon, except the marathon was surgery.  An even bigger factor is that they did not cut my vestibular nerve, so I have no balance problems, just lots of fatigue.  Still working though other issues but they aren't so bad.  We all get to the finish line eventually anyway.  Wishing YOU restful sleep and oh by the way, YAY on your hearing!
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

MAlegant

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2008, 06:11:33 pm »
Even though it was a good night's sleep I was still up at 4am.  Just not in great pain for the first time.  I was beginning to fear going to sleep.  I think it will be quite a while until I sleep through the night.
M

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2008, 05:54:18 am »
I hope the elevated head continues to help you with pain and as for the waking early--don't give it the time of day, find it within yourself to surrender to the early a.m. waking.  With time this too will go by the wayside and I pray the pain dissipates. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

MAlegant

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2008, 06:39:41 am »
To all,
I must share this with you, it's a quote that a friend sent me along with his get well wishes.  It resonates even if you aren't religious.  Marci

It is in the quiet crucible of your personal, private sufferings that your noblest dreams are born; and God’s greatest gifts are given in compensation for what you’ve been through.
-- Wintley Phipps

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2008, 08:11:43 am »
To all,
I must share this with you, it's a quote that a friend sent me along with his get well wishes.  It resonates even if you aren't religious.  Marci

It is in the quiet crucible of your personal, private sufferings that your noblest dreams are born; and God’s greatest gifts are given in compensation for what you’ve been through.
-- Wintley Phipps

Marci,
Me likes that quote! Thank you for sharing it! :)  Hoping today is a better day than all yesterday's... and all tomorrow's bring even more wellness. Hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MAlegant

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2008, 09:33:02 am »
Hi all,
How can my face itch when I can't really feel it?  What is itching?  And since I can't feel it, I can't scratch it.  And this is making me crazy!  I did walk about a mile this morning without holding on to my husband, though he was at my side.  At one point I think he was just trying to keep up with me. (Not that I'm in a hurry or anything.)
Marci

MAlegant

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2008, 08:10:16 am »
So this was my second consecutive night without waking up!  Yippee!  I was beginning to feel like I should have a newborn in the house, or at the very least, a puppy.  I walked two miles this morning (slowly, very slowly) because the weather is so beautiful now.  When you live in the midwest, sunny days with low humidity are prized. I know I will "pay" for this with fatigue that is sure to get me by late afternoon but it's a trade-off I gladly make.

Kathleen and Wendy, I hope you are moving right along with recovery.  And I wish everyone a happy Sunday.  Hope you can rest, read the paper or play softball, whatever your bliss.
Marci

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2008, 12:39:08 pm »
Great news Marci!

The weather is really nice today in Southern Ontario!!  Its so glorious...I dread the winter :'(

Remember to rest my friend.  I still nap in the afternoon when need be.  I'm almost 2 yrs post op Translab, but I think this last surgery did me in, I know it was my nerves.  I'm recovering but I still get vicious headaches .

Keep smiling my surgery sister ;D
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2008, 12:47:43 pm »
Anne Marie,
Have already had one nap today.  :) Hopefully you'll be well again soon.  I cannot imagine going through this again and so give you plenty of kudos for your courage and fortitude. Remember, according the doctors we are "young"!  (A fact I thought was very amusing) and will bounce back.  I hope at least you have good drugs for the headaches. Do they expect that the frequency of headaches will improve now?

I remember (not fondly) the harshness of winter in Montreal and understand completely how precious the nice weather can be.  Enjoy.

Best,
Marci

MAlegant

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2008, 04:34:46 pm »
A milestone!  Brian asked me if I wanted to vacuum!  ;D  You can guess my reply.....

LADavid

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »
Hi Marci

That is good that all the doctors think we're young.  I'll buy into that even if I don't feel it at the moment.  As far as sleep and naps are concerned -- at eight months post, I still have nap attacks.  And my sleep patterns still aren't regular -- of course that could be due to obnoxiously loud upstairs neighbors who believe it is critical to play soccer on a hardwood floor at 3 am. *note to self -- objective is to live on the top floor*.

Actually the reason I am responding -- have you tried running yet -- even at a shuffle pace?  Don't be concerned if it feels like someone forgot to attach your brain to brain attachment places.  When I first tried running -- all six or seven steps -- it felt like my brain was banging around in my skull.  That was in February.  Last week, eight months post surgery, with my daughter by my side to steady me, I ran 7 miles.  Granted it wasn't much of a blazing pace and most of the time I had to concentrate on not falling over, but at least my brain seemed happy somewhere inside my skull.  We're still working on that October Half Marathon.

And Anne Marie -- what a different perspective -- although this summer has for the most part been pleasant -- I can't wait for the 60 degrees of LA temps in the winter.

I am sure there has to be the perfect climate on Earth.  I'm also sure that none of us could afford to live there.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MAlegant

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2008, 08:29:22 pm »
Hi David,
Yeah, I'll take those young comments anytime.  Haven't tried running yet. I am working up to it by walking my short running loop (first time today).  Once I can do that comfortably I'll give running a go.  After 27 years of running it's so much a part of me that I'm becoming depressed not doing it.  The neurologist asked me to wait another week or so and I think that's about when I'll feel up to it.  I'll remember what you said, as I am sure that my brain will think me insane and my head will be wonky.  But for me it will mark the beginning of the new normal, which includes facial numbness and very strange hearing in my right ear.  Tinnitus I think but I'll let the doctor diagnose me.  I did try singing a couple of days ago and it made feel nauseous.  Which is pretty funny all things considered.  It was so very LOUD in my head that it hurt.  I may wait a couple of weeks on that one as well.  I am having to learn patience. I am not very good at it.  How was your appt.?  Weren't you going in to get checked out??
Best,
Marci