Author Topic: on the road to recovery  (Read 23228 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: on the road to recovery
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 07:33:16 am »
Hi all,
For Anne Marie--yes, they shaved a neat vertical one-inch path behind my ear, down to the nape of my neck.  I have a really cool scar, though! 

Today is day 6 and I feel about the same as yesterday, maybe a little worse.  Weaker, dizzier, a bit more pain but I had a much better night so maybe it's a trade-off.  I am ready to resume my life now, why isn't my body cooperating? How type-A is that?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 08:04:11 am »
Patience, Marci, patience!  It's really hard for people like us to be patient with our bodies during the healing process.  All I can say is that you really have to listen to your body and give it what it demands.  As for the patience, I'm still trying to learn that one...  ;)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

satman

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 10:25:27 am »
congrats marci,sounds as if everything worked out great.
so you still have facial animation,does your eye blink and close ?
the whole dizzy, tired thing will pass,hang in there. congrats!
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

cmp

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 12:43:09 pm »
Marci--

Wow, you made it home in record time! Glad you are safely through (and yes, officially a postie!), though sorry you are still experiencing discomfort. For me, the second week got a whole lot easier, but then the third was horrible! (Partially that was because I had a doozy of an asthma attack that took several days to even recognize as such, but it was also because I was pushing myself too hard and my body was in major rebellion. So, like others here, I will counsel...be very very patient! Get lots of rest! Be very gentle with yourself!)

Re the yukky hair dilemma--I'm glad you were able to shampoo; you must be feeling a million times better. I didn't shampoo for two weeks, as per my doc's instructions, but I did use a dry shampoo on the front part of my hair (far far away from my incision), without which the wait to suds up would have been unbearable...

Hope every day finds you a little stronger...

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 12:49:15 pm »
marci~
I will tell you what I tell everyone:  Always remember as you heal and feel better that it is OK to have the occasional "bad day" and listen to your body - don't push it!!
Sounds like you are doing great!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 04:19:31 pm »
Hi, Marci:

Don't apologize.  I was the exact same way when I got home from the hospital.  I wanted to be 'good as new' immediately, if not sooner.  I did push it a bit but with no adverse consequences.  I can't advise you to do that but I understand why you might want to.

I was driving within 2 weeks of my surgery (with my doctor's permission, of course).  I was doing routine stuff (walking, shopping) within 3 weeks and never looked back.  Sure, I got tired, but I just went to bed a little earlier and slept a little later (being retired without small children to watch has it's benefits).  :)

Your recovery is impressive and I think you're going to come out of this just fine.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 04:53:19 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement gang.  I will try to be patient (write one hundred times on chalkboard) because I know it's actually the best route to recovery.  Satman, my face (right side) is numb but is still smiling and blinking, though my right eye is very watery, tmi?  Also, watching me eat is entertaining since I can't feel my chin or bottom lip and therefore can't feel food when it falls, which it does.  Very amusing.  Carrie, the shampoo was an adventure that entailed me washing with my husband holding saran wrap around the incision.  He says he can't take that kind of pressure so next I will just wash the front of my hair and wait for doc's ok for the whole head thing.  Did listen to my body today and took a two hour nap which seemed to really help.  I have also been walking around the house but still feel uneasy about going outside.  Carrie, how are you doing??  And since mine was a trigeminal neuroma do I have to leave the group?  Or do I get voted off the island?
M
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:39:34 pm by MAlegant »
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

satman

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 04:20:28 am »
no getting kicked off here,you are a lifer!
i'm so happy to hear all the pos news,you are doing awesome.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 07:03:53 am »
Yeah as satman states, "You're a lifer!", sorry you're stuck with us for better or worse!  Glad you are slowly improving and as kaybo says we all have good days and bad it's how we react to them that matters now.  Go with the flow, do get outside with a friend for walks to help with balance, fresh air does good too.  Slow and steady as she goes, peace!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

MAlegant

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 07:12:33 am »
I did take a walk this morning (husband at my side), incision shielded from the sun, and it felt so good.  Not as good as running a few miles, but getting back to that is of course, my goal.  Today is one week since surgery and I feel pretty good this morning, no pain, just an annoying whooshing sound in my head.  Guess those little voices have become a chorus.   :D 

cindyj

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 07:26:41 am »
Know it must have been great to get outside for a walk - wonderful that you are able to do that and so soon after your surgery!  Glad the pain seems better, hope the dizziness is subsiding as well.  You give great hope for others awaiting their treatment :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 10:44:53 am »
You are WELL on your way!  I didn't get out of the house for several weeks post-surgery, so you are doing very well in my eyes (even the one that doesn't blink all the way yet ;) ).  Congrats on doing so well.  Give it time and patience and all will be well.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

JulieW4

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 11:04:10 am »
Marci,

Having patience during the recovery process is one of the most difficult during this journey.  I think having patience and taking it easy is the second hardest thing, making a treatment decision is number 1 for me. 

It sounds like you are doing GREAT.  I'm sure getting outside helped mentally and emotionally also for you.  I just hate being stuck in the house.  I get so stir crazy. 

I was ready to try to pick up some shifts at my waitress job this week but after double checking with my doctors it looks like I have to postpone that some more because they both said I can't lift anything heavy for 8 weeks.  I don't know if I can wait that long, but then again I don't want to do anything that it interfere with my recovery.

Take it easy.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

MAlegant

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 01:52:48 pm »
Ok, I think I see how this works.  10 minutes outside walking is equal to 2 hours of napping.  They shouldn't call this napping, they should call it "deep sleep so your body can heal from what you've done to it" sleeping.  What say you veterans?

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 03:23:27 pm »
Hey Marci
I'm glad to hear your doing well......WHAT A TROOPER!!!!!!  :D
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012