Author Topic: on the road to recovery  (Read 23317 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: on the road to recovery
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 06:38:21 pm »
Now you've got it.. Fatigue is definitely a factor for awhile.  You are doing great!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 09:56:03 pm »
Marci -

never underestimate the power of fatigue  ;)

It hangs around for quite awhile post op.

And, no, we will NOT be voting you off the island!

You're here to stay!  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 10:34:09 am »
Hey all,
Went to the doctor's--they took out the stitches and gave me the green light to do whatever whenever I feel up to it.  One interesting fact--I asked about the "whooshing" sound inside my head and the nurse said it was probably CS fluid sloshing around. I thought that was pretty cool.  All this time I thought it was the voices inside my head speaking as one.  Who knew?  I am pretty tired from the trip so I think a nap is in order.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 11:13:29 am »
Have a good nap, Marci!  Naps are a valuable part of post surgical life, as many here will attest to!  I still sleep alot, compared to the pre-surgical me - last night I slept 10 hours, but today I feel great!  There's a message in there, isn't there? 

Rest up, Marci.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pembo

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 11:16:12 am »
Hey Marci! Sounds like you are doing great. Docs told me 1 week recup for every hour of surgery...in other words you'll be needing a nap for awhile. Let your body rest and heal.......
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 01:40:10 pm »
Marci:

Fatigue was one of the few issues I had, post-op.  The fatigue resolved within a few weeks.  Of course, I missed a lot as I was napping fairly frequently during that time.  I still don't have quite the stamina I once had but then, I'm much older than you.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 12:08:02 pm »
I took another nice walk today--but still can't seem to sleep through the night without waking up with a headache.  I wonder if it's pressure from my head being down?  I have no pain during the day, it's totally bizarre.  Also, the eye on my numb side is really dry and irritated and then after a while tears.  Blinks just fine, but is pretty uncomfortable.  I've read a lot on this forum about eye gel/drops but thought if your eye blinked you wouldn't have that problem.  Not so!  Any suggestions?  Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

oHIo

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 01:54:58 pm »
Marci,
Dry eye can be a problem even with a blink.  A family member of mine had Lasik surgery (no AN or facial nerve issues) and has suffered from a severely dry eye ever since.  Protect your eye if you feel it is dry by using eye drops or ointment.  If it is bothering you, it might not be a bad idea to see an ophthalmologist who can make sure nothing else is going on.

I also woke up with headaches for a while post op.  Have you tried sleeping with your head elevated?

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 01:58:54 pm »
Debbie is totally right - the eye can still not be making enough tears even if it blinks.  Make sure you keep it well lubricated with drops (I personnaly recommend the "single use" kind because they don't irritate your eyes the way some of the ones with preservatives can.)  And, seeing an opthalmologist is also a good idea.  You want to be very careful not to dry your cornea out.  The good news is that you probalby won't need the "industrial strengh" gels that some of us use!

Be patient with the fatigue - hopefully it will start subsiding, but be careful not to overdue.  Can you try elevating your head at night to see if that helps with the pain?  Maybe it would releive some of the pressure?

Feel better!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 02:16:10 pm »
I think I've got it--elevate and lubricate!  :D  Now sending Brian to the drug store to get drops....
Marci

MAlegant

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 03:07:39 pm »
I actually tried singing a bit today and it was very strange.  It was so LOUD inside my head that I had to stop. And laugh. The dogs were also howling but they always do that. I wonder (and will ask the doctor on Tuesday) if the fact that the neuroma was abutting the auditory canal means that it was affecting how I heard myself.  It would explain oh so much....

Kaybo

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 06:56:22 pm »
I am just so tired tonight - think I can still plead the need for a nap 12 YEARS out???   ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 09:10:51 pm »
Marci
You make surgey sound so easy......
I'm so happy your are doing well!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

MAlegant

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2008, 05:48:12 am »
A good night's sleep! Yay!  Extra pillows kept my head elevated and I woke without a headache.  I know, it's a small victory, but it has made my day!!  Also, the eye drops allowed me to watch an entire movie with my husband last night. Happy, happy, happy!

I started a thread on scar care, please feel free to jump in and advise.

Marci

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 05:49:28 am »
Hey Marci,

was just looking for your update thread. Sorry I'm late getting to this.... but.... I'm glad to hear you are doing well!  Hang in there.... day by day, inch by inch... and wellness wishes right to ya! :)

You postie :)

Phyl

(btw, what movie did you watch?)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"