Author Topic: on the road to recovery  (Read 23330 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
on the road to recovery
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:26:27 am »
Hi all,
4 days post-op and I'm still in somewhat rough shape. I've forgone the percoset for a double dose of Advil hoping that I'll at least be steadier on my feet. I think the muscle relaxant is a placebo however.

Much gratitude to Debbi for keeping everyone posted.  Anne Marie, I hope you are doing ok.  Any word on Wendy?? 

Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pembo

Re: on the road to recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:49:49 am »
Good for you Marci! I lived on extra strength Tylenol for a long time. You'll be amazed at how quick the pain disappears! Stay strong..........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:55:42 am »
Good morning, Marci!  Glad you are able to make the transition to Advil - hopefully that will work.  Some of us seem to have more problems with pain after this surgery - hopefully yours will pass soon.  If not, you can always take a percoset if it really gets bad!

Meanwhile, take lots of naps and don't forget to eat! 

I'm waiting to hear from Rob on Wendy's update.  I've got my blackberry with me so I won't miss any updates. 

Be well, Marci.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 07:59:53 am »
Hi, Marci and welcome to 'postie land'! 

You seem to be doing splendidly.  I was just getting on my feet (for brief walks in the hospital corridors) at 4 days post-op - and I had a very quick recovery.  Getting off the Percocet is a good idea that I hope works out for you.  For now, focus on getting stronger and regaining normalcy while doing whatever you have to do to handle any pain, which should be transient . 

We're all thinking about you and sending good vibes your way, Marci.  Thanks for posting.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:14:35 am »
Marci,

How'd you get home so fast? I'm happy for you, but amazed at how fast this happened.

I understand your tumor was not an acoustic neuroma. Can you explain TRIGEMINAL to me?

Rest well.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Kathleen5306

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:37:51 am »
Marci

I think you are doing amazing!  To think you are already home and only 4 days after.  I have been told to plan on being in Los Angeles (I live in Denver) for 2-4 weeks.  So, I don't even have any expectations to be home as soon as you.  Take it easy.  Take care of yourself.  Enjoy the fact that it is over.  I can hardly wait to join you in postie land!

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:55:20 am »
Marci,

So glad to see that pretty smiling face of yours!!!!  I'm doing pretty good myself.  I've just had way too much company this week.  Yesterday was the killer, we celebrated my husband's birthday.  Today I'm doing nothing and DITTO for tonight!

Debbi did such and excellent job keeping us update.  Nothing like your own bed eh?  I hope the next few days and weeks go just as smoothly for you.  When is your first follow up with the Dr?

Rest my friend,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 09:25:59 am »
Hi Anne Marie, you are a warrior princess from what I can tell.  Follow with my doc sometime next week, the sooner the better. 

For Syl, a trigeminal schwannoma grows off the 5th cranial nerve.  And in the end it was pretty big-3x4 cm.  Mine had wrapped itself around the trigeminal nerve.  That's nerve gives you sensation on your face.  Who knows, I may be able to save money at the dentist office on novacaine. Pain is much better today, though I looking for my "sea legs" which seem to have also gone away.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not a very patient patient.

Am I officially a postie now??
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kathleen5306

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 03:57:48 pm »
Marci

My understanding is you are officially a postie.  Being a newbie, tho, I would wait to get confirmation from the veterans.  I, however, am going to gladly proclaim postie status as soon as surgery is over on Wednesday.  I am glad you are feeling better and getting stronger day by day.  You have been an inspiration to me this week before my surgery.  In fact the whole team from last week is an inspiration--way to go Anne Marie and way to go Wendy!

All the best,

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 04:06:19 pm »
Wait, wait, Marci, first we have one more task:

http://stevegerrard.home.comcast.net/applause2_x.wav

Okay, now you are an official postie.  :D

Congratulations on getting through so well, by the way.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 05:25:57 am »
Hi all,
Last night was pretty rough--I think I gave up on Percoset too soon--but this morning seems better.  The right side of my face is still mighty numb but I'm still smiling! :D
With a little more clarity today I just wanted say yet again to all, thank you, because being a part of this group has given me strength I didn't know I had.  Now if I could just wash my hair....
Marci

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 06:55:42 am »
Hi Marci-

Ah, the hair washing...  when are you able to get that first wonderful shampoo? 

Sorry you had a rough night.  It may be that you will need something stronger than advil in the evenings.  I find, even now, that the pain escalates later in the day.  I hope you can find the "happy medium" that works best for you. 

sending you hugs,
Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

MAlegant

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 08:01:09 am »
Had my hair washed this morning and had my husband hold plastic wrap over my sutures.  We kept it pretty dry.  It's amazing how small things can make such a big difference.  Tonight I will switch to Percoset earlier for sure. At least I got a decent night's sleep. 
Now if I could just feel my face....
M

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 08:17:03 am »
Enjoy your clean hair, Marci!  That was one of my post surgical highlights, for sure.  By the way, Glad Press 'n' Seal works great for covering any kinds of sutures or holes in the body. 

Take it easy, and listen to your body.

BTW, I just posted some pics on Wendy's thread - she looks great!

hugs,
Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 09:11:18 am »
 :D Hi Marci,

Did they give you a new "DO" in the surgical suite?  My Dr told me at my pre-op he won't be cutting my hair........WRONG he buzzed me all right.  Thank goodness I have lots of hair!!
I'm so glad you enjoyed your first hair wash, for me it was divine.

If you need to nap later today do so.  This entire weekend I've been in and out of sleep.  Listen to your body.  Sleep is part of the healing process. 

Keep smiling my surgery sister!  ;D

Ane Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games