Author Topic: BAHA battery change  (Read 11260 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
BAHA battery change
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:08 pm »
Question for all you BAHA users.

How do you know when it's time to change your battery?

My audiologist told me a battery would last about 2 weeks and that I'd know when it needed changing.

Well, the 2 weeks guideline doesn't really make sense to me because some weeks I wear my processor more days than other weeks.  And while I think  I can tell when my processor doesn't sound loud enough anymore I'm not entirely sure  that I can.  I hate to be tossing batteries prematurely if they still have some power in them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
Re: BAHA battery change
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:12:55 am »
Jan,

Great question. I am starting on day 13 and it still seems to be functioning well. I am sure that it either works or not. I'll be sure to let you know when my detective work is complete.  ;)
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:55:36 am »
I find that I do go 2 weeks .. but then again I dont wear it every day (working from home by myself I dont wear it) . after 2 weeks a just start another.. it does not cost that much ...(I think back when a pack of smokes cost me 3 dollars a day  :o )

I've noticed that before the batteries go out, it does not sound right.. starts to cut out at loud sounds....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Catflower

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:49:38 am »
I think the information that came with my BAHA said that you would hear two long beeps.  Of course, I don't know how you are supposed to discriminate them from another noise.

Linda

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:52:32 am »
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who was mystified by the "when to change batteries" issue! I've had my Intenso since June 1 and have replaced the battery twice: June 21 and July 12. The BAHA rep who came to my audiologist's office when I "plugged in" my processor mentioned that the batteries lasted about two weeks. Two weeks passed and everything seemed okay, but on June 21 I heard a couple of random beeps that sounded as though they were coming from my head. Didn't do anything then, but a couple of hours later I heard the beeps again and decided it could indeed be a "battery signal." I changed the battery at that point. Spoke with my audiologist a few days later and she confirmed that hearing aids usually transmit signals when the batteries need to be replaced (what did I know? I've never had a hearing aid before!). I then went to the BUSK website and found this in the little write-up on the Intenso: "... sound signals alert users to when it's time to change the battery." I don't recall reading that in the literature that came with the processor, nor do I know if this is true for other BAHA models.

On July 12, the date of my second battery change, I was out on my patio with dinner guests and thought I heard the same little random beeps. The person sitting next to me looked over at me, but didn't say anything. I considered asking her if she had just heard two beeps coming from my head ... but then decided that I would just assume she had heard it, too, so I simply excused myself for a moment, went upstairs and changed the battery!

Is everyone comfortable with putting their processor on and taking it off? It was a bit like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" for the first couple of days, but I got the hang of it pretty soon after that. I also had to get over my "yuck" factor at attaching something to my head and then prying it off, but fortunately that didn't last too long either!
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Sam Rush

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:39:15 pm »
With the Divino model, there are no beeps, the sound goes intermittantly off several times, then stops completely. There is no weakening of power, just on and off a few times, then off.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

1wareagle

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 02:49:52 pm »
I change my Divino BAHA every 2 weeks whether I need it or not. When mine gets low it will go off and cut back on till you change the battery. I bought my batteries in bulk from www.soundbytes.com. The price is about half what you would pay in Wal-Mart buying one pack at a time.

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:11:58 pm »
Hey, guys -

thanks for all the information.  I knew someone would be able to help me out.

Since I have the Divino, I guess I'll just have to wait until my sound goes completely and then change the battery.

Ellis, thanks for the battery link.  I'm still working on the six-pack that came with my processor compliments of Cochlear, but I'll check out the battery prices at both Sam's Club and at the place you recommend.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Catflower

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:56:12 am »
I don't know if this is accurate or not, but my audiologist told me that the batteries from Cochlear are more powerful than the ones you buy at Walmart, etc.  Anyway, I ordered some to have on hand and they really didn't seem too expensive to me, but I've never bought hearing aid batteries before.

Linda

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 12:50:34 pm »
In addition to the soundbytes link contained in an earlier post, people may want to check out www.microbattery.com. This company also carries the "powerone" brand, which is what came in my, and I assume everyone else's, processor package. This site was mentioned on the BUSK forum, and several posters commented that their audiologists said the powerone was the brand most compatible with BAHAs. I recall that one poster had even contacted Cochlear for a battery recommendation; powerone was the response. The Intenso, which is my BAHA model, requires the p675 battery, which I didn't find on the soundbytes site, but appears to be available from microbattery. I haven't ordered any batteries yet as I still have several of the "complimentary" ones from Cochlear.
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

sabuck

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 12:53:48 pm »
I am still using my Intenso today for the 14th day straight. I am using the Powerone brand that came with my unit from Cochlear. This battery is a 1.45V compared with other brands for the same battery size that say 1.4V so I don't know if that makes any difference or not. Anyhow I ordered and received a box of 60 Powerone P675 Zinc Air batteries for $25.95 plus about $5.00 shipping. A pretty good deal I thought. http://www.microbattery.com/ It might be worth checking them out for yourself.
SSD post op - left side

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 05:19:43 pm »
Interesting info on all the batteries.  Glad I started this thread  ;)

My audiologist just said to use any "orange" coded hearing aid batteries, but it sounds like there are better options out there.

Thanks,

Jan

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 07:28:14 pm »
Cool, a topic all about batteries.  8)

I use the brown battery, one size smaller than the orange. I went to the microbattery site; I now must choose between Rayovac Extra Advanced, PowerOne, PowerOne on a generic card for 25% less, or Rayovac GenX Extreme. I did not realize the choices were so daunting!

My hearing aid gives me two quick beeps, about 3 minutes before the battery bails out. I carry a spare in my wallet.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

oHIo

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 09:45:08 pm »
Steve,
While you're knitting our hats, a little compartment on the side would be useful to carry the spare batteries for our aids.  Something like a pocket would be nice and you could use your artistic abilities to knit hats suitable for the men and the ladies along with a unisex design.

While I don't have a BAHA yet, I have done the trial and should be having surgery this fall.  My audiologist recommended batteries from Sam's as the cheapest for the Divino. 

sabuck

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 04:39:08 am »
Microbatteries send along with my order of 60 batteries a nifty little keyring battery container. It is big enough to carry 3 batteries. I'll try to post a picture of it later.
SSD post op - left side