Author Topic: FSRT  (Read 3550 times)

28 Fracs

FSRT
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:08:40 pm »
Does anyone have personal experience with fractionated radiotherapy?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: FSRT
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:11:43 pm »
Hi 28 and welcome.  I am assuming you speak of FSR, done over approximate 25 days? I did have a form of "fractionated" radiotreatment, called Cyberknife.  Mine was "fractionated" over 5 days.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

28 Fracs

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:18:54 pm »
Yes, I completed treatment 20 of 28 fractions today at Shands Hospital in Gainesville FL. I'm curious if anyone in this forum has done the conventional FRST and not the hypo fractionated you note. Thanks in advance.
(My AN is 1.5cm left. Decent hearing remains)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:23:23 pm by 28 Fracs »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 05:23:54 pm »
Hi 28.  Ok, got it.  Shands... great place! You are in great hands there.

I know of many here that had FSR, some based here in Boston that were treated at Mass General Hospital. Will keep an eye open to see if they spot this thread and contribute.....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

macintosh

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:56:28 pm »
This is interesting. As recently as 2007, when I had one-shot LINAC radiosurgery at Shands, Dr. Friedman (head of Neurosurgery and Radiosurgery) was saying that the results for fractionated were still too preliminary to justify moving to that as a standard procedure (since it is a lot more expensive to perform). It seems like he may have changed his mind.

But what kind of treatment are they using now at Shands? Is it CK? They can't be screwing that frame on your head 28 days in a row. I still shudder a little when I remember that part.

Mac

Peggy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:04:39 am »
hi,

I had fsr in philly, at jefferson univ hospt.  my last treatment was in december, as of today I feel fine, I had 26 treatments total,  I don't go back until december of this year, i did have an mri after 3 months of treatment but there was no difference at all, good news I guess.  I hope in december I will see shrinkage or something.  good luck.

peggy

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 01:50:05 pm »
28 Fracs:

As my 'signature' shows, I underwent 26 FSR treatments during September and October of 2006, following debulking surgery to reduce the size of my large AN.  They were performed at the Hospital of Saint Raphael MRI center in New Haven, Connecticut.  They were painless and lasted about 25 minutes each.  I drove to and from each session, which were held Monday through Friday with weekends off.  I'm pleased to report that I suffered no ill effects from the radiation and that my last MRI (8/1/08) showed tumor shrinkage and necrosis.  I should mention that for a few months post-radiation, the AN did swell a bit which gave me some mild discomfort but nothing serious (a few Ibuprofen handled it) .  That eventually disappeared.  All I can add is that FSR worked well for me.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.