Author Topic: Update on Carrie (CMP) 6/24 Surgery  (Read 14547 times)

cmp

Update on Carrie (CMP) 6/24 Surgery
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:28:17 am »
SORRY I FORGOT TO LOGIN AND MAKE THIS THREAD FOR YOU GUYS.
HERE ARE THE EMAILS IVE SENT OUT

Jordan (CMP's) Hubby
-------------
6/23  10:PM

As you must know by now, Carrie is entering Mass General Hospital in a little over 8 hours
for Neurosurgery, to remove the acoustic Neuroma which has regrown since it
was removed 20 years ago.  She is quite calm and ready, but we may be out of touch for a few days.

I made this temporary mailing-list  heal@cur.io so I can post updates in real time from my phone, to people who may be thinking of Carrie, or praying for her.

If you reply, please write directly to me, cause you might spam the whole list by accident!

Jordan

------------------------

6/24 2pm

After prep, Carrie went into the OR around 8:45. I got a call from chief of neurosurgery at 1:30 that she was out, stable, tumor-free, and that I can see her after 3:30.

My iphone is almost dead though!

Thanks for everyones (religious) prayers and/or  (athiestic) positive thoughts. They seemed to have worked, but this is not scientifically testable:)

-----------------------
6/25 7am

Carrie's surgery ended at 1:30, and at 4PM they let me visit her in the ICU.

She had no major complications, just some post anasthesia pain and nausea.

The Resident came in and did some basic neurological and motor tests, which she passed beautifully,
and he commented that the surgery went perfectly, and the tumor came out in one piece, relieved pressure
on the trigeminal nerve (which caused the facial pain) and didn't implicate any other nerves.

She slept and drowsed for another 4 hours while I sat next to the bed, and then we spoke for
a while after 8PM.  Its all good!

She will be transferred to a hospital room this morning, and after my 5 hour roundtrip drive to camp with Dylan,
I will find out the room and update you all again.

Thanks again for all your caring and concern!

Jordan

--------------------------
6/26  10 AM

Yesterday, I visited Carrie at 3pm and 8pm and she was still in pain and uncomfortable, sipping water and ginger ale. Today I got here at 10am and she was gone, walking around the halls with her physical therapist!

She'd even eaten banana and Cheerios!

Her room is Ellison 1234a
Her phone is 617-724-5290

Don't know if she will answer or talk to amyone but I will try to get her to use webmail later.

--------------------------------------
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Update on Carrie (CMP) 6/24 Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:55:21 am »
This is absolutely wonderful news!!  I am thrilled to hear that Carrie is doing so well - please tell her I am sending hugs and lots of good wishes.  And, I'm impressed that she is already eating cheerios!! 

Debbi - doing the happy dance in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Sammict

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:22:10 am »
Wow its great to hear how Carrie is doing it brings inspiration to those of us waiting or surgery.

I will be thinkiong good thoughts to an easy recovery. I will be looking forward to reading future posts.

Thanks Sam

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:32:49 pm »
Hi, Jordan:

Thanks so much for the exciting update on Carrie.  Her apparently trouble-free surgery and what seems to be a remarkably rapid recovery is as heartening as it is amazing.  I'm sure your support has been a big help to Carrie and we know that she'll be back here soon as a 'double postie' (twice having AN surgery).  Give her our collective good wishes and a big hug.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:50:48 pm »
Jordan -

sounds like Carrie is doing wonderfully!  Thanks for updating us; we worry about our AN family members.

Please give Carrie our best :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:04:45 pm »
Great news! Thnaks for updating. Hopefully she will have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 01:26:28 pm »
Thank you, Jordon for keeping us posted on Carrie (the double postie).  That's great news that she had a successful surgery.  I am sorry to hear that she had a rough time with pain.  Hopefully that will go away soon.  Meanwhile, please say hi and give her our best.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Tamara

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:25:45 pm »
My very best wishes for a strong and sure recovery!

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 04:43:10 pm »
Jordan,
Thanks for the update.  Carrie has been very much on my mind and i'm glad to hear she is doing so well!  Please give her our best.  I wish her a smooth and speedy recovery.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 04:56:22 pm »
Jordan,
Thanks for the update. I'm glad that the surgery went well. It's a good sign if she's eating and walking 2 days post-op. Carrie is sure to have a speedy recovery. Prayers and good vibes and well wishes are being sent her way.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 06:54:03 pm »
Thanks for the update on Carrie, Jordan.  It's positive news that she's up and walking the halls as well as eating a little bit. 

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:26 pm »
Oh good. That's what we like to hear. Bananas and Cheerios is a very good sign.

Best wishes, lots of rest, then back to the forum when she is up for it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 09:48:15 pm »
Jordan~
I have been out of town and I was wondering how Carrie was doing - you've all been in my prayers.  Hope the trip to camp went OK and that your son is doing well.  We were picking ours up from 2 weeks at camp - 1st time (she loved it!)!

Give Carrie a hug!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 06:14:09 am »
Very, very good news Carrie!  Hang in there and may your days from here on out become pain free!  WEEEEEE!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

calimama

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 07:15:39 pm »
HI Jordan and Carrie...

Just back on online and glad to hear that all went well. Keep the good work and news.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.