Author Topic: Update on Carrie (CMP) 6/24 Surgery  (Read 14544 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Update on Carrie (CMP) 6/24 Surgery
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:16 am »
Hi, Carrie

I haven't had much incisional pain at all, other than a twinge of "tightness" in spots from time to time; the real problem has been my neck, which though still stiff is finally not interfering with sound sleep (before last night I had to break up lying in bed with at least a couple of hours upright in a recliner...).

Carrie

I have the same tightness on my incision--no pain. The neck is the issue. I've had to sleep in shifts--4 or 5 hrs at a time--due to neck stiffness that develops into pain if I don't address it immediately with Tylenol, a heating pad, or by just getting up and moving around to loosening my neck muscles.

Your scar's placement appears to be about the same as my retorsig scar. One of these days I'll post a photo of it.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

wendysig

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2008, 05:14:29 pm »
Carrie,
Thanks for the update on how you're doing -- I was on vacation and haven't had time to catch up on how everyone is but you made it easy.  Your scar/incision looks like its really healing nicely.  I'm glad to hear you're doing so well, but sorry about the neck pain.  I get the feeling this is a universal problem with AN surgery.  Hope that goes away soon.  Are you using one of those little electric massagers (the little ones you can get in Walgreens or other drug stores).  Tammy told  me they really help  and I plan to get one before I have my surgery. 

Wendy

P.S.  I found an article online that gave a blow by blow decription of retrosigmiod along with diagrams.  Your incision looks exactly like the diagram.
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

oHIo

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2008, 09:20:03 pm »
It looks like a retrosig incision to me.  My doctor described the location of a translab as being two finger widths behind the ear.  (I'm sitting here measuring mine with my fingers together right behind my ear and sure enough that's exactly where it is.)  Most of the translabs somewhat follow the curve of the ear starting at the top of the ear and curving downward to the base of the ear.  Surgeons may vary the angle somewhat, but a translab with normal anatomy should be fairly close to the back of the ear and hairline. 

Rob, I believe you are right that they fold the ear forward to get to the tumor with a translab. 

I always ask my doctor for a copy of my operative report, the pathology report and the discharge summary to give me a better idea of what went on and remind myself why my recovery has not happened overnight.  It will list the approach on the report.