Author Topic: Update on Carrie (CMP) 6/24 Surgery  (Read 14496 times)

lori67

Re: Update on Carrie (CMP) 6/24 Surgery
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 10:03:19 am »
Jordan,

That is great news!  I'm so glad to hear she's doing well and on her feet already!  I hope she's back home soon and on the mend!

Thanks for keeping us updated!  Hope your son is loving camp!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 10:05:11 am »
Jordan -

any more news on Carrie's progress?

Also, how is your son handling being away while Carrie is in the hospital?  Is everything turning out okay for him?

Just wondering,

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cmp

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 01:20:46 pm »
Hi everyone, and thanks a MILLION for your good wishes, which have brought me countless (half-asleep) smiles... I am so surprised to be home this quickly, and of course thrilled to have no new neurological glitches to add to my collection. My husband has been amazing (but you already figured that one out!), and both my kids seem to be taking everything in stride. (We called my son at camp last night and it was just like a regular conversation with him (ie "I left my razor and orthodontic bands, could you send them?), so that's a huge relief. My local rabbi (it's a Jewish camp) checked in on him for us, too, and confirmed that he's settling into his bunk just fine.

the biggest issue for me was going from the endlessly adjustable hospital bed to a flat bed--apparently they had to cut through the neck muscle, and extend the incision more than last time, so my neck is pretty significantly ouchy and I just didn't see how I was going to get through the night without being able to sleep on an incline. My fix-it hubby came to the rescue, of course, and suggested I sleep in one of our new cushy Lazy Boys--worked like a charm. I was able to even tilt my head towards the incision side without actually putting weight on it.

Well, that's all I'm capable of now (you have no idea how many typos it took me to get this far  ;) ). Just wanted to say again that your support has really touched my heart and made me feel so much stronger! I will post again as soon as I'm able...

The Cheerios Kid
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 01:45:24 pm »
Carrie~
GREAT to hear from you!  I am glad that you are home and settled in the Lazy Boy - they sure are comfty!
Continue those great strides!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 03:00:11 pm »
Agreed, it's GREAT that your home and on the mend!  As you know, it only gets better from here!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 04:20:43 pm »
Hi, Carrie;

Congratulations and welcome to double-postie land.  :)

So pleased to learn what a successful surgery you had and that you're home so quickly...always a good sign.  I love my recliner so I can appreciate your comments on that.  Its unfortunate about your neck sensitivity but your husband seems to have saved the day and I'm glad that he did.  That your son is doing well at camp is a relief, I know.  One less thing to worry about as you try to recuperate.

Don't be concerned about posting.  We're just glad you're doing so well and could post at all.   That our support has strengthened you is very rewarding, Carrie.  Your experiences have undoubtedly helped others, too, I'm sure and you're an inspiration to many.  Thanks for being part of our 'family'.  :)  Now, get some rest.  We'll be here when you're better able to post messages.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

robynabc

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 07:20:17 pm »
Carrie,

So glad to hear you did so well.  Fantastic news.  Take care.

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

lori67

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 09:15:39 pm »
Carrie -

I was so surprised to see you posting already!  What a trooper!

How wonderful that you're home and all is well with the kids!  Although I have to wonder how on earth you got your son to worry about not having his orthodontic bands??  My daughter would have gone without them forever if I didn't do mouth checks every morning!  Of course, then she'd probably still be wearing braces!   :D

Anyway, I'm glad everyone is doing well and your husband sounds like a real sweetheart!  I hope you get some much needed rest in the recliner.  What would we do without those things?

Take care!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 09:35:35 am »
Carrie-

I was so thrilled to see your post when I logged on this morning!  And, I am so very glad to hear that you are feeling okay - all things considered. 

Ouch - the neck muscle sounds really painful!  Have you considered one of those foam "wedges" that keep your head and upper body elevated?  I think you can get them at places like Bed, Bath & Beyond.  We got one for my mom after she had lung surgery and it seemed to help.  Just a thought...  Otherwise, the lounger sounds really great.

I am sending lots of good thoughts your way, Carrie.  Find something to laugh about every day, and know that we are ALL here cheering you on!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 10:36:27 am »
Hi Carrie!
I was so happy and surprised to see your post when I logged on.  Congratulations on your return home and  on having no additional problems to deal with.  Your husband was great about keeping us updated and of course, it's even better to hear from you.  Glad to hear your kids are taking things in stride although not really surpriseing.  Kids are very resilient.  Your husband's idea of you sleeping on the couch for now was a really good one and I'm sure you'll be more comfortable there util you're feeling a little better.  Best wishes,.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15:10 am »
Steady and easy as she goes Carrie, glad you're in a place of loving comfort--home.  There's no place like home! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 07:13:58 pm »
Carrie -

thrilled to see you are home - and much sooner than I expected  ;D

Glad your son is doing well in camp. 

Tell Jordan it was wonderful of him to keep us updated.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cmp

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 04:13:11 pm »
Just checking in briefly (I'm semiconscious and the typos are taking over every word I type...)

I am feeling a bit stronger and much more optimistic--we saw some old friends last night, and a good friend dropped by this afternoon, so I'm finally spending more time making silly jokes than worrying!. The stiffness in my neck is much better and I'm not needing so much pain med for the headaches. Unfortunately I do seem to have some trigeminal neuralgia on the right--apparently the tumor was pressing on the TGM nerve, and though the AN was totally removed with no sticky pieces, I'm nonetheless getting a lot of nasty shooting pains in my jaw, temple, cheekbones and ear. Though Dr martuza hopes it will resolve by July 7 (when I go to get my sutures removed) he says I should bring the issue up at that time for further discussion.

I am taking my doc's advice to walk 4 times a day religiously. It's funny, though I was in pretty good shape at the time of surgery, after being prone a couple of days, my legs got REALLY charleyhorsed the first few times around the block!

Lori--re my son remembering his ortho elastics: He was at the ortho's office two days before we dropped him at camp, and he is DYING to get his braces off at this point. When I told him I wouldn't let the dr just pull them off because he was impatient with wearing them, I guess he caught onto the fact that the length of time he spends as a metal mouth is fully in his control... :)

I will try to catch up with more of the threads here tomorrow--but in the meanwhile, hope all those who have had treatment recently are comfortably recovering, and calm thoughts to those whose treatment is imminent!

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

wendysig

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 06:03:11 pm »
Carrie,
I hope you feel as good as you sound!  I'm sure you are tired, and know you are having pain from the trieminal nerve but seem like you are in good spirits.  Here's hopinf the doc isright and it resolves soon.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 08:22:29 pm »
Carrie -

thanks for checking in.

Get some rest  :)

Jan