Author Topic: Ck - The Great Cyberknife adventure here at BNI in Phoenix Arizona  (Read 52695 times)

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: Ck - The Great Cyberknife adventure here at BNI in Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2008, 08:25:24 am »
Hello out there in AN world. It is a different world we live in when symptomatic. I had a roller coaster weekend, but it was a kiddie roller coaster. Saturday was the best day I had in months, and on prednisone - whoa!   :o

I DID overdo it that night. Our family was invited to a 3 year old's birthday party at Peter Piper Pizza! He had 2 long table dedicated to him in a sea of 3 - 6 year olds also having birthday parties. Colorful lights, colorful character balloons, kids running and screaming, me trying to socialize with the really neat adults I don't know well. There was a din of off key "Happy Birthday!'s" being sung. Pizza was slung, BBQ spicy wings flew, cake and ice cream were plentiful. The room is multiple colors and shapes. Everything s packed in pretty tight and the stable visual stimulus I need so badly for balance just was not there. Instead I looked at chaos and tried to find stablility on the waves of dizziness.    :-\

Then the sounds above were unreal - I did sit near the end of the table near the edge of the room, but I was on the WRONG side. My bad almost useless ear faced the noise. I couldn't hear anything anyone said behind me. The sounds I heard in that ear were like New Years Eve noise makers being shaken, rattled and whistled in that ear...loud! I finally switched sides and could again hear with my good ear and somewhat protect my bad ear from the interference. I plan to take ear plugs for that ear so that surrounding noise doesn't distort into confusion in my head. We drove an hour each way to get there through town and an 2 hours at the party. During the drive on the way home, the long shadows on the road, the cars whizzing this way and that all became an amplified mess to my dizziness.

Soooo Sunday, I imitated a drunken slug and took it easy in our quiet restful home. I did get in some laps in the pool at last and I realize that I feel perfectly NORMAL there. I am not afraid of being dizzy, I can't fall. The water supports me beautifully.

Yesterday I stayed home and I did okay. Then we had one outing and until it got worse later I was fine. It didn't pay the toll The birthday party did and I am feeling good again today.

I was dizzy before my CK. I think it measured about 26% on that side. When the swelling hit, it worsened. After being on the prednisone it is back to the level of before. I start  vestibular therapy this week, so we shall see. Most likel :-\y I will have my cochlea destroyed and use a Baha. My functional hearing is 20% and that part is hardly functional in my mind. If that is destroyed, I will have a set point to get used to the balance loss at a set point. Right now it vascilates and when I adjust to one level through exercises, it changes, just to do it again. This has been going on the last 2 months.

The other thing I notice is pain most likely where the AN is. It isn't intolerable at all, a couple of tylenol takes care of it. I do feel a little more tired, but it was only one week ago yesterday that the CK was done. I suppose if I had stayed with the 3 doses, it might have been gentler on my system, but I had no more hearing to save and wanted it over.  I won't second guess that because I am functioning. I am not my old self, but I haven't been the same since the AN symptoms started about a year ago. I am still so glad I chose this way.

Take care all! You are important in my life. You do not know how very much the support helps. This is so weird to the non-AN world and it is great to have others to talk to.

Hugs!

Mary

And BIG HUGZZZZZZZZZZZ to you, Guess Who ;)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Jackie

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2008, 09:41:36 am »
Hi everyone,

Today has started better. I the the steroids have begun to help. I am feeling peppy ( :D - steroid high) and even went for an early morning walk. The pool was only 77°, so still no luck getting in a swim. I am still a little dizzy but with a cane on one side, and Weldon on the other I managed a nice stroll. The real test is later today to see if symptoms worsen like they usually do through out the day. At least this time they are starting at a more manageble level. My headache is mild and has moved to the back of my head.

My only new issue is my right eye. I woke up and I thought my glasses were badly smudged. I took them off and realized it is my eye. It had a bad haze. I put in eye drops and an hour later, it was still there. I posted a query on the CK site to see if it had any connection. It does seem to be clearing up now. Maybe just a strange anomoly? Any one else had this?

Have a great day all!

Mary

Hello Mary,

I am on Prednisone right now, not for my AN as I am watch and wait, but for a horrible allergy/type rash. The rash is now cleared, and I am at the one week more lowered dose and then done with the prednisone. I know the peppy feeling you are experiencing, but I also know a very tense uptight-grit-your-teeth feeling, and I don't like it at all! My husband also had been on Prednisone for a month and found that his eyesight improved 10-fold to the point he could see better without his glasses! my sense of smell has been tremendously enhanced. So it is a weird drug, they call it a miracle drug of sorts, but it's a nasty one too! I will be glad to be done with it again, as this is one of many times I have been on it over the last 25 years! Good luck to you in your journey. Make sure you rest when you can!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2008, 10:13:06 am »
Hi Jackie,

Yes, prednisone is a miracle drug andat the same time has many, many terrible long term effects. My mom was on it years and it saved her life, but it was at a cost. Luckily, we are only on it for a short spurt post CK. I have taken it on and off through the years (for other issues) but never long term nor more than once or twice a year at most.

Today I started dosing down. The "high" disappeared a couple of days ago. It is such a weird feeling, peppy yes, but not a healthy peppy!  :) I understand the grit teeth thing. There is an uneasy undercurrent.  I should be done taking them Saturday and call my Dr. on Monday to give him an update. I hope that will be the end for now and I can just get back to tumor death.

Have a good day!

Mary  8)

CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2008, 02:46:21 pm »
Mary -

I'm glad you are doing better.  I don't envy you the party at Peter Piper's  ;)

Don't sweat the hearing, if you do end up with a BAHA, you know where to come for support.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2008, 03:13:54 pm »
Hey Mary,

That party would have put any adult over the edge, I think, much less one in your situation...

Glad you were able to swim - sounds like the perfect therapy for you.  Have you felt up to reading any of the book (Thirteenth Tale)?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2008, 04:28:04 pm »
Hi Mary-

First of all, a belated - but big - thanks for posting such a detailed report on your CK.  I found it fascinating and really loved reading every bit of your account. 

I can't imagine the pizza party - just the tought of it makes me feel panicky.  Big kudos to you for sticking it out!  You're my new hero.

I wasn't taking Prednisone, but some other steroid after surgery - I can relate to all the comments about feeling hyper, and not necessarily in a good way.  I was very happy to "step down" from them. 

Mary, I hope your recovery continues to go well - and thanks again for sharing your journey.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2008, 06:40:41 pm »
Hi,

You all are great and I DO feel better with a lesser dose of the 'stoids! I also made an appointment today for a conference with the surgeon about a labyrinthectomy and Baha! Big step for me! I re-addressed my record of balance testing that the doctor ordered before CK and then looked up things like "spontaneous nystagmus" - the involuntary eye movements that enhance my vertigo and "oscillopsia" the amplification of movement I seen when riding in a car or really any other movement including Peter Piper Pizza parties! It seems like destroying the cochlea really is successful in ridding these miserable symptoms I have had since before CK. My hearing would then be 100% gone, but at this point, I think that would be better than the warped sounds I hear now. I am too often not functioning. I seem to get on top of it only to backslide.

By the way, I don't think I mentioned this before. The testing at a balance center in Phoenix was such a riot! My doctor has all his AN patients go through the testing pre-treatment. I imagine post-treatment, too at some point. I really needed someone to video this testing. It was a sick amusement park. For those of you who haven't done them, they were extensive and took about an hour.

First they attached me to a harness like on a parachute, put me in a booth a little larger than a phone booth. The booth was painted in bold colors and irregular patterns like an abstracted landscape. I stood on a platform similar to a large flat scale that senses your movements. Everything is connected to the computer. The technician held onto a strap on my back and the harness is attached to the ceiling. Then the walls move different directions and different walls walls at different speeds. Eventually more are added and things speed up. Whoa! There were a series of those.

Then I was put in a round room about 8 - 10 ft across max. I sat on a rotating chair in the middle. I wore goggles as these stripes rotated around me. He told me to COUNT them.......right! They went to fast to count!  He said I didn't have orders to do the testing with the chair rotating. Thank goodness. I flunked the first royally already!

Last he had me on a table with goggles and lights to follow. Then there was cold water squirted with some force in each ear and then warm water. Like I said everything is attached to computers. He had me looking different directions as he did it. VERY bizarre? Same guy who invented this invented the mammography, I am sure.

I never got sick, miraculously, through any of these but I did get a little green around the gills! I thought I would because so often lately I feel like I did when I had morning sickness. Remind me and I I will invest in soda crackers!

DEBBI, I have followed your account since your surgery. It is your account is that inspired me to do a more detailed account of my journey. I found yours interesting and you MOST inspirational. You are MY hero!!!! I am cheering for you every step of the way. I also think your photo is very good. you look terrific!!! My daughter (30 yr-old) plays Pogo games on line (me, too....confession time) You have a little mini you post with your membership. It is kinda like paper dolls.  :D Anyway, you can choose the background, outfit, goodies and even the face. She purposely chose a face with a crooked smile. It is enchanting. I wish I could send you a picture, but it is not transferable.

CINDY, I did finish "Thirteenth Tale" I started before CK and finished it afterwards. Now that is going to give it a weird perspective from my vantage point. Did you read it? :D

Take care,

Mary

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2008, 11:20:44 pm »
Mary -

the testing at the balance center sounds surreal.  I've never heard of such a thing, but then again, I don't get around much  ;)

As Debbi mentioned it was wonderful that you posted so extensively about your CK experience.  I don't know a lot about CK - or radiation in general - so it was definitely an education for me.

Thanks,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2008, 11:32:15 pm »
I did not have the astronaut tests you described, but I did have the goggles and water in the ear test. The cool thing is that the goggles are making a video of your eye movements during the test. When they played it back for me, the display removed my nose, placing the two eyes closer together. Very bizarre to see my two eyes flickering around together, unattached to a face or head.  ::)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2008, 11:41:15 pm »
Mary -

forgot to ask.  Are you going to discuss Thirteenth Tale with us?  Discussion starts on the 13th.

Jan

cindyj

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2008, 02:29:36 pm »
Yes, Mary, I did finish the Thirteenth Tale - see you over on the book club thread on the 13th to discuss it, I guess.  I really did enjoy it!

I do NOT know how you got through that balance carnival - I really could barely stand to read about it - my head is still spinning just thinking about them.  Really, I'm sure I would not have made it. 

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress  - it's good to see all these details about treatment recovery.  All of you recently treated guys/girls have done a great job, despite what must be some very rough days of recovery.  Thanks to all of you!

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2008, 03:27:12 pm »
Thank you, Cindy!!  :)

I am sending you big HUGS for making my day.

Mary

AJ

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2008, 09:02:59 am »
Biggo HUG to my friend Mary!!!   :D    Have you been feeling any better?  Mary, I can't believe you went to Peter Piper Pizza!  Ahhh  :o  That place is too busy and too loud, I avoid it as much as I can.  You probably felt there, the same way I felt when I went to the Diamondbacks game.  I'm trying to avoid noisy places, except for restaurants of course  ;)  One of my favorite things to do is eat out!!!

Keep us posted and I'll be chatting with you soon.

Hugzzz,
Annette
2.5cm AN diagnosed 3/25/08 Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Some hearling loss in right AN ear.
Slight Tinnitus and slight imbalance.
CK scheduled for May 28th! Woohoo!

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2008, 09:44:53 am »
Hi dear friend, Annette!  :)

How are you feeling since your CK? Still doing well?

I am having a better day today.  Maybe we can get together again and catch up. Peter Piper, ah yes....my daughter owes me BIG time. Yes, I think it was like the Diamondback game for you. VERY disorienting. Weldon got me earplugs. I am now going to have them with me everywhere and when it is too loud, I will put it in the AN ear. Might help?? I will let you know.  We live and learn, right? LOL

Big Hugzzzz back!

Mary

Kaybo

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2008, 10:16:12 am »
Mary~
Lost your picture again!   ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!