Author Topic: Ck - The Great Cyberknife adventure here at BNI in Phoenix Arizona  (Read 52571 times)

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: Ck - The Great Cyberknife adventure here at BNI in Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2008, 10:18:38 am »
HMMMMMMMM....I guess I am playing hide and seek but don't know how???? Any ideas?

How are things for you, Kay? I hope you are doing better and better.

Take care,

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2008, 10:29:53 am »
Why does that picture losing thing happen?  I've "lost" both Mary's and AJ's pictures.  I thought it was just on my home computer, but it's also on my work computer and my laptop.

What's the deal  ???

Just wondering,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2008, 10:51:47 am »
It seems to be Mary the most - must be her special smile and sweet spirit!

I am doing really well.  I have just been SUPER busy trying to do all the "finishing touches" of trying to get Addi packed for camp.  We finally have EVERYTHING done and are leaving this afternoon for Oklahoma City (I still need to throw me some clothes in a bag for tomorrow!) - but I have her done!  We even stuck her sleeping bag in a space bag and vaccuumed and it is in her trunk - we were so proud of ourselves!!   ::)  I don't know what I will do with only 2 girlies for 2 weeks - it will be strange!!

Better run!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2008, 12:27:13 pm »
Hi,

Tell Addi to have a great time at camp for ALL of us and you and your 2 curly girlies, don't get into too much mischief!

I found out what is happening with the picture. The web designers for hubby's biz are working on the site. There is an invisible page there where we have the photo posted. It is at my end. They have been working on the site a lot this last month and you would thin I could realize that is the problem sooner but I swear my brain is slower than it used to be.

Mary  :)

CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

AJ

« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2008, 03:59:48 pm »
Mary,
I'm doing well!  I hardly get headaches anymore.  I just seem to be getting that heavy head or fullness of the head feeling and that is mostly in the mornings.  On most days, it subsides as the day goes on.

I took a little trip to Sierra Vista (south of Tucson) this past weekend.  I did fine, but did feel a little tired.  The weekend of June 21st is my 22nd wedding anniversary and the hubbie is taking me to San Francisco.  We are flying there, so I'm a bit anxious about my hearing and balance in regard to the flight.  Wish me luck.

We most definitely have to get together again.  I'd love that.

Chat with you soon!
Annette
2.5cm AN diagnosed 3/25/08 Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Some hearling loss in right AN ear.
Slight Tinnitus and slight imbalance.
CK scheduled for May 28th! Woohoo!

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2008, 07:25:04 pm »
Hi Annette......Yea!!!!!!!! You have no idea how glad I am to hear you are doing well. I have the opposite. I have a harder time as the day goes on. This is such an experience.

Enjoy your 22 Anniversary trip and congratulations!!!!

See you when you get back, okay?

Take care, my friend,

Mary  8)

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2008, 08:11:14 pm »
It has been awhile since I updated my post CK thread. Let's see f I can do this and make sense at the same time!  ;D

I have had my ups and downs. I was having these issues pre-CK so I have a hard time blaming CK for the issues. I am sick of the dizziness. I knew upfront that the CK would not fix it, but I want it gone. SOOOO, I have graduated from the vestibular exercises I was doing at home to going to Vestibualr Therapy. Today was my first day, and I feel like it is a lot like what I already was doing. BUT he can measure, adjust and tweak for my back and knee problems as well as assess what exercises are working and what aren't.

I don't know, but if you have dizziness, "try this at home." For instance, hold a index card at arms length with the letter B on it. Move your head from side to side at it, while keeping FOCUS on the card. If you lose focus, go slower. Then nod at it. I am to do each of these 30 seconds 3 times, 2 or 3 times a day. Then I am to locate 2 points on a wall and dart my eyes from one to the other. I am supposed to do this with the same requirements of the other. I will be picked up by a funny wagon or be accepted on the "Last Comedian Standing". My son almost split a gut watching this. It is great to be entertainment.

I am off the steroids so I needed to update the doc. He wanted me to have him interrupted when I called to talk to him. Can you believe that one? He also thanked me for updating him. WOW! I am happy to be off the 'stoids. I know they made things easier. It seems people who specialize in ANs are especially kind people.

By the way, on anothe3r thread,  I am researching hearing issues and solutions as you may have noted. Please, if you have 2 cents to add to it, I would appreciate it.  :)

All in all I suppose I am okay for a dizzy, half deaf, screaming, full earred granny. It adds character.

My grandkids - 12 and 9 come next week. We will be caring for them during the days when my son works. We care for my mom. I have two lively standard poodles. My husband will be out of town for a week to go get them and visit family.  I can't drive. The entertainment factor has just gone up. I am selling box seats for any and all.

Wonky headed Granny,  ::)

Mary

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2008, 10:03:54 pm »
Mary -

I'll take one of those seats - it sounds like your life will be a lot like mine, except that I can drive  ;)

I'm sorry you are having your ups and downs, but I'm glad you are having vestibular therapy.  The exercise you described sounds like one of the ones my doc gave me to start doing pre op.  I also did them post op and it helped a lot with my balance and dizziness.  As I recall, the exercises are quite amusing for others to watch  :D

Your doc sounds like a real gem - I just love docs who are genuinely concerned about their patients. 

Enjoy the grandkids and hang in there,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2008, 08:20:46 am »
Hang in there, Mary!  And, can you put me down for two of those box seats?  Heck, better yet, sign me on as an usher - at least I can help out!  Sounds like your hands are going to be FULL!  Grandkids AND standards poodles --- wow.

Take some moments to breath deeply and relax!

Debbi, infusing IV as I type...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2008, 08:25:04 am »
I want seats, too!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2008, 02:18:43 pm »
Thanks for the update.  Sure hope the new, entertaining, excercises help with your dizziness! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2008, 10:19:07 pm »
I also posted this under my querie about hearing....so please ignor it if you read it over there. Sometime I don't know where to post. LOL ;D

I had an appointment Friday with the surgical doctor. It was an information gathering appointment. I copied and pasted an emaii I sent friends and family:

Yin Yang, balance…..whatever you want to call it. Life is all about the balance. Without the unwelcome challenges how could we appreciate the surprise joys in life? So I am sitting on the curb watching for my ole friend joy. It is always there, sometimes it hides better than others. I do like to look at the world as my glass is half full, because it is! 

I very much appreciate all the people out there struggling with their own issues, many people have much worse problems and my heart and prayers go to them. They give me the gift of knowing and balancing the reality of my situation. I am blessed.

Yesterday was a difficult day. First, I was dizzier than normal. Then my doctor appointment with the surgeon was in the late afternoon when I usually get worse.

Here is what he had to say:

Hearing

• My varying hearing is not uncommon (between bad and worse). I have had this since pre-ck
• A BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) is an option for me and may be a good one. He really likes it and knows of many radiosurgery patients who have gone this route.
• He is not crazy about Transear. If I go that route, I will need to find someone else (of course, he is a surgeon, not a hearing aid dispenser.) He said many find it uncomfortable.
• He informed me the Cross Aid (sp?) may be another option. It requires hearing aids in both ears. In the bad ear the signal is picked up and transmitted to the receiver in the good ear.
• There is no hurry, we can wait until November to see where I at my follow-up MRI to see what we will do

Balance

• He witnessed how dizzy I am.
• He said because I have 24% left of my balance in the bad side, my brain is always trying to balance it with my good side through inputs from my vestibular nerves (one with the tumor). The signals vary so it is always adjusting, making me dizzy. This may get better, could get worse, could stay the same, could go almost away. That narrows things down for me – LOL. I have more issues with dizziness than the "average" AN patient, but at the same time it isn't unusual
• He wants me to continue with the balance exercises, push myself further (which is hard to do when you are not sure of your ability to stay upright, never mind trying to do something in addition at the same time!)
• I need to wait until November to have my balance reassessed to see what is happening then - sound familiar?
• When I asked about the labrinthectomy, he agreed it would get rid of the dizziness as being a major issue for me. He said it could be an option down the line. THEN the bomb dropped…..he said if he does it, what he would recommend is doing the Translab surgery and taking out the tumor! He is the same doctor that recommended CK before treatment. Surgery is just what I avoided by doing the cyberknife! He said it would be so close to the tumor if they do the cochlea surgery I could be free of the thing, in addition. The only big danger in that is the facial nerve. (AND the major surgery involved.) I think I like being dizzy and hearing is overrated. I did CK to try to preserve my facial nerve. That is one of the scariest side effects to surgery to me.
• He remarked, referring to my exceptional level of dizziness, and some worsening since CK that sometimes cybernife does make this worse. Without my dizziness, I wouldn’t have been diagnosed with my tumor as early.
• I may have more severe dizziness also because I had the entire dosage in one treatment instead of the three we were initially scheduled to do when I still had hearing to save.

I had heard from a wonderful little birdie that perhaps very low dosage valium twice a day would take the edge off of the dizziness. I was going to ask him about that and forgot!!!!!!! I feel DUMB! If I don't get relief soon from these exercises, I will call and ask. I can't wait until November. I will work like crazy to get on top of it, though.

My hero, Weldon took me on a date last night for a great dinner out. That was the medicine I really needed. Spending the evening with my sweetie! Today he is driving to Texas to see his Dad. He will return on the 29th. When he comes home, he will have the 2 grandkids with him!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »
Mary -

thanks for the update.  Sounds like some good things came out of your appointment, but some confusion also.

Give yourself some time to digest what your doctor said before you make any decisions; you have time to think about all this.

Good luck,

Jan

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2008, 10:48:45 pm »
Hi Jan,

You are such an encouragement to me!!!!! Thank you!  :)  Time will go fast when the grandkids (12 and 9) are here. They stay until August 8th. We care for them while our son is at work so they should keep me entertained AND pushing myself beyond any comfort zone.  ;D

Mary

sgerrard

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2008, 11:44:13 pm »
Hi Mary,

I am betting (and hoping) that the balance nerve will continue to decline. If it is already down to 24%, it must be on the way out. If that happens, you will be able to adjust to having one good balance nerve. I think that is the most likely outcome, even if it is not by a huge margin.

The idea of doing a full translab seems a bit much to me. I can see how the doctor would think that if you are in the neighborhood, might as well clean it all up, but I think going after the tumor would turn it into a more major operation, and get more into the neurosurgery aspect of things. Hopefully that doesn't need to happen.

It sounds like you will be waiting until November to see where things stand. Meanwhile, continue to enjoy things as best you can, which it sounds like you are doing well. And take it easy too, except for your exercises of course; you are still in recovery, you know.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.