Author Topic: BEST DOCTORS AT HOUSE EAR CLINIC FOR MIDDLE FOSSA  (Read 14673 times)

klm

BEST DOCTORS AT HOUSE EAR CLINIC FOR MIDDLE FOSSA
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:34:54 pm »
Who would you recommend to do middle fossa for a 1.8 cm AN at House Ear Clinic?  Is there anyone you would NOT recommend?  What about Dr Brackman or Dr.Slattery or Dr. House?

I have to decide very soon!

OTO

Re: BEST DOCTORS AT HOUSE EAR CLINIC FOR MIDDLE FOSSA
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:50:35 pm »
klm,
Dr. Slattery did my middle fossa in May 07 (my AN was 10mm).  I was very happy with him.  Dr. Brackman is renown as the expert in AN microsurgery.   Dr. House is well known too.   I would say all 3 are good.   One thing to ask about too, is which neurosurgeon will work with them.   Dr. Schwartz is the neurosurgeon who works at the House Clinic.   Sometimes the House doctors will also use Dr. Hitzeberger, another neurosurgeon.   He is also very good, but there was a thread on the forum, where someone's insurance wouldn't pay for Dr. Hitzeberger.

My personal observation was that Dr. Slattery and Schwartz were younger than the rest.   A friend of mine who also went to House Clinic, told me younger is better - steadier hands...    however, repetition, experience and number of surgeries done probably counts for something too.... 

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:29:16 am »
Dr. House himself is getting up there! .. and I think he is only very part time now...

Dr Hits. and Brackmann are getting up there too ... but I did talk to one person who did have Dr. Hits the "steady hand test" and he past with flying colors...  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:07:02 am »
Dr. House himself is getting up there!

I heard that the "original" Dr. House doesn't do surgeries anymore - but his son (obviously a younger man) does.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 11:18:31 am »
Hi klm,

Yes, Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger are getting up in years. Dr. Brackmann turned 70, I believe this year. I received a Christmas card from him and he said he has no intentions of retiring, he loves what he does and as long as he can help others he will continue to do so (not his exact quote). I chose experience, not age. Both of these doctors have worked together for over 40 years and they can probably finish each others sentences. They were recommended to me by one of their former patients that I met at an AN meeting. It was the best decision I have ever made. You have to be comfortable with whoever you choose. Talk to more than one doctor and feel them out. Ask questions until you are satisfied with their answers and then make your decision. Please do not be in a rush, this is a once in a life time decision. I wish you the best.   Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:13:18 pm »
I just wanted to clarify my earlier post about Dr. House - for what it's worth.

Ann so kindly told me that the "original" Dr. House is deceased.  So obviously he isn't doing surgeries anymore. 

But I know that someone who consulted with HEI recently told me that there is a Dr. House there - a relative of the "original" - who does surgery.  And he's younger than both Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger.

Thanks Ann for letting me know my mistake  :)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 07:55:46 pm »
Dr. John House, son of Dr. Howard House, the founder of House Ear Clinic/Institute, performed my trans-lab surgery in January 2008. I cannot say enough about the entire experience I had with the House personnel, St. Vincent Medical Center, and the Seton Hall Guest Center. It was absolutely amazing; everyone was very professional and compassionate. I am extremely thankful that my doctor here in central New Jersey said he unconditionally recommends House Clinic to all his acoustic neuroma patients. I would go back there in a heartbeat ... even if I had to WALK from New Jersey to Los Angeles!!!!
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:52:50 pm »
Hi, JerseyGirl2 -

getting off topic here, but wanted to say welcome to the forum  :)

I'm glad your surgery was so successful.  I also see that you have a BAHA that you got in June.  I got mine in June too  ;D

Although I have the Divino, I can't say enough good things about it.  Hope you like your Intenso just as much.

I also hope you stick around the forum.  We're a good group to join.

Jan

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:23:48 am »
i had translab at House and have to travel to LA for the procedure and I have not regretted my decision - they are professional and excellent!  I had Brackmann and DO NOT let his age fool you as he is sharp, focused and confident.  He is an expert in this field, doing both surgeries and lectures.  He actually don't do the surgery all by himself, he usually have a team to back him up, e.g a neurosurgeon which in my case was schwartz, an internist and a fellow.  St Vincent is great too, I got a thread here about my surgery experience at house but you can PM me if you have any questions.  hope this helps and good luck!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

vcschaub

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 10:42:53 am »
I had middle fossa surgery at House in November of 2005. My surgeons were Dr Brackmann and Dr Hitselberger. I had excellent care and thought they were both terrific. Both are charming with wonderful bedside manner. I still correspond with Dr Brackmann who promptly answers any concerns and reviews the MRIs I have had post op.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

DebraInTexas

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 06:46:32 pm »
I've been reading this forum for awhile now.  I have learned a lot of information.  Thanks to all for sharing.  I, too, am looking into going to House.  Does anyone have experience with Dr. Friedman, Marck Swhartz, or Michael Stefen?

Thanks for the help in one difficult decision making process.

Deb

cindyj

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 08:04:12 pm »
Hi Debra and Welcome to the site!

I haven't had surgery yet, but am going out to LA for a translab in Nov w/ Dr. Friedman and Schwartz!  There are a number of people here who had Dr. Friedman, most recent being Nancy L and Kathleen5306...you can look up posts by them to see their experiences.

Good luck w/ your decision - I just made mine very recently after six months of research and thought,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

DebraInTexas

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 08:50:46 pm »
Cindy,

Wow, what a coincidence.  I'm glad to know that someone else is using the same doctors.  I'm hoping to have my surgery soon, so I need to make a final decision.  I have a phone consult next Tuesday with Skull Based Institute and am hoping to learn more about the fully endoscopic procedure that they do there.  I'm really leaning toward HEI.  Dr. Friedman was fabulous on the phone.

Thanks for also giving me names of others that have used Dr. Friedman.  I really appreciate it.

Let's keep in touch.  Who knows, maybe we will be in LA around the same time.  Where are you located?

Oh..thanks for the welcome.

NL

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 09:48:26 pm »
Hi Deb,

I just wanted to pop in to say that I had retrosigmoid surgery on 8-6-08 with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz. Dr. Michael Stefan is the internist who I saw for my pre-op and follow-up visits. They are all wonderful doctors. Dr. Friedman is as great in person as he is on the phone. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Nancy L

Hi klm,

Though I can't help you with any info on a middle fossa in particular, I can say that my experience with House Clinic in general and St. Vincent's Hospital was all great.

You could try a search on the forum with "House Clinic"+ "middle fossa" - and I see you've already heard from OTO.

I found it helped me a great deal to speak with others who had my surgeons and/or the same approach before my surgery. Please feel free to PM me if I can help in any way.

Nancy L

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

DebraInTexas

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 10:20:07 pm »
Hi Nancy,

I will send you a PM.  Thanks for the opportunity to learn from your experiences.

Wow.  Not even a month and you are up and posting on the forum.  That is encouraging.

Thanks.