Author Topic: Doctors in Central NJ ?  (Read 3001 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Doctors in Central NJ ?
« on: December 22, 2008, 08:45:04 pm »
I talked to a woman tonight whose 75 year old husband has been diagnosed with bilateral ANs; one of them is 3 mm and one of them is 7 mm.

They live in central NJ and their ENT referred them to Dr. Courtler (I think this is how you spell it); they are seeing him tomorrow.  Anyone know anything about Dr. Courtler?

Names of other docs in central NJ who treat ANs would also be appreciated, as they have no desire to travel - even to NYC.  I know of Drs. Roland & Golfinos, but am not sure where they are in relation to central NJ (yes, I am  geographically challenged; remember folks, I'm an accountant)  ;)

The wife told me that she feels at this point her husband is too overwhelmed to really talk about his ANs, but in the future he might want to talk to others who live in their area who have been diagnosed/treated.  Anyone who lives in central NJ who wouldn't mind being contacted, please PM me.

Thanks for your help,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

Re: Doctors in Central NJ ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:16:20 pm »
Hi, Jan,

I live in central New Jersey -- Monmouth County, which is more technically the central Jersey shore area. I would be happy to talk with the woman with whom you spoke. I didn't see a "Dr. Courtler" in the Physicians listing in my phone book, but it doesn't cover that wide an area, and it's likely they live in a nearby county which could also be considered central. I would also be happy to give her the name of my otolaryngologist, who's the head of that department at the largest hospital in the area, but -- since you mentioned that they don't even want to travel to NYC (and that's not very far away!) --  she wouldn't be happy with his recommendation since he only recommends House. I'm sending you a PM with additional information.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:21:55 pm »
Wow, bilateral ANs means NF-2 by definition. Being diagnosed in one's seventies is kind of late, I think. At least I have never heard of it before. I don't know the doctor this gentleman is referred to, but he might not have to do anything with his ANs because of his age: the older one is, the slower generally the growth. They might not grow at all for the rest of his life. There is the support group for NF2s only: NFCREW, I believe. Anyway, best of luck to him.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

PrisB_NJ

• 2 cm diagnosed 11/2007
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:31:24 pm »
I think they may be referring to Dr. Jed Kwartler who is a neurototogist at Summit Medical Group.  He is on the Medical Advisory Board for the Acoustic Neuroma Association of New Jersey (ananjinc@aol.com.  I recently met with him to get my 6 month MRI scheduled after GK at U of Pittsburgh.  I did consult with the MDs at NYU but went to Pittsburgh for GK since Dr. Kondziolka had more experience and Pittsburgh had newer equipment. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:39:23 am »
Thanks to all who responded to this thread and also to those who PM'd me.

I haven't heard from this patient again, but I still hope to.  His wife didn't think it was a good idea for him to talk to others in his situation; she felt it would add to his anxiety.  When I talked to her I offered to call her back with the names of people in her area who would be willing to talk to her husband, but she said she'd rather call me.

So at this point all I can do is keep the relevant information in case she does decide to call.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways