Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 81964 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 04:50:05 am »
Good morning, Jenni - and Brian!

I hope the first night passed well and uneventfully.  Brian, if you hear many strange sounds in your deaf ear, don't worry.  I actually heard loud drilling sounds, and voices - probably a combination of tinnitis and drugs!  All I get now is a little chirping on occasion.  Just get through today as best you can - you are surrounded by love, which is the best medicine of all.

Jenni, keep your strength up - you are a HERO!!

Debbi (off to get my sutures out!!!)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 05:19:07 am »
Good Morning!
I hope Brian rested well and you too, Jenni.  I'm putting my pirate sox in the washer. Welcome to the world of the posties.  Continued prayers and good thoughts coming your way.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 05:41:38 am »
Jenni,

thank you SO very much for the updates! Great job and I know its very appreciated here. As you can see, we rally for each and every one of us AN'ers (as we, lovingly, call ourselves) and thrilled that Brian did well. I hope you got some sleep and please give the "Pooter" a high-five from me... and tell him he's off the grog for now.... but a mug of it is awaiting his return! :)

Congrats, Postie-Brian!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Melissa778

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 06:25:48 am »
Jenni thanks for all fo the updates, I'm sure it also helped you pass the time.  Glad to hear all went well.  Looking forward to hearing how he is today.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 09:22:12 am »
Good morning all! Brian is still recovering in ICU, but the doctor mentioned possibly putting him in a regular room today. He was nauseous last night, but other than that, did well through the night. He is still very groggy this morning, but was awake enough to want a kiss and to answer questions. He keeps falling asleep (but then again I expected that with all of the drugs he was on in surgery). I will continue to keep you all updated and will print and read your posts to him later today or tonight (assuming he is feeling well and will understand what I am reading). As soon as he got into recovery he apparently started talking and the nurse asked me who Kyle was. She said he was asking about him all the time (this is our son). It was nice to know that as soon as he woke up he was thinking about people and things that were important to him. :) Anyway, I will update later this afternoon or this evening. Keep the prayers coming... they have worked miracles thus far.
Love,
Jenni
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 09:50:34 am »
Jenni~
Will do ~ glad the night was OK...
 ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 10:38:32 am »
Hi Jenni

Thanks again for all the updates.  Brian sounds very normal following surgery.  I said some pretty strange things in the first two days -- and I thought I knew what I was saying.  Please tell Brian that we're all thinking of him.

And Melissa, since you're next up, well someone be keeping us updated next week?

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 11:06:33 am »
Brian and Jenni,

What a great team you are!

Jenni, I was checking in often yesterday to see if there were updates. It was so good for us out here also to hear how things were going. I liked the frequent updates. Brian, you done good!!!!

Thoughts and prayers continue your way.

Hope we can get updates on you Melissa. We are also cheering you on during this wait time.

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Melissa778

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 11:08:14 am »
Not sure, my husband is pretty compuer illiterate....I may try to get my sister or a friend on board to help out with this.  We'll see....

Glad to hear Brian's night went well.....

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 11:22:21 am »
Jenni -

from what I recall of my own surgery, Brian is recovering normally.  He will be tired for quite a while.  Brain surgery, like any major surgery, takes a toll on your body; plus it takes a while for the anesthesia to leave your system.  I was only out for 7 1/2 hours, but I was tired for weeks  :)

Melissa -

it's probably kind of inconvenient, but if your husband isn't comfortable with posting or isn't able to, perhaps he would agree to call someone from the forum post op just to let them know that you are doing okay.  It doesn't have to be a long call, just something to tell us that you are out of surgery and doing fine.  The forumite (thanks for this term, Phyl) he calls could then post to let us know that everything is status quo.

Besides being a rather impatient group of people (myself included), we care and worry about you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 11:54:51 am »
the first few weeks ... the only time I was awake was to eat !!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 11:58:46 am »
Yay for Pooter!!!!  I am so glad he is okay and resting - probably the best thing he can do now is rest and heal.  Tell him we are all cheering him on! 

You can also tell him that I got my stitches out today, just to help celebrate his successful surgery. 

Keep us posted - really do love getting the updates and knowing that Brian is doing well.

Debbi (stitchless in NJ...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 12:07:43 pm »
the first few weeks ... the only time I was awake was to eat !!
...and I've seen you eat!!  LOL!  ;D
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 07:14:51 pm »
Brian is doing well this evening, although still very sleepy and groggy. It is taking awhile to get the drugs out of his system. This is concerning me much more than his doctors (which I guess is a sign that it is normal). Anyway, they talked about keeping him in ICU another night, but the last report I heard was that they were wanting to go ahead and move him to a regular room tonight. I have mixed feelings about it. I know they monitor more closely in the ICU, but then again, I know he will sleep better without all the respirators, beeping, nonstop people talking, etc. I guess if he is in a regular room then I will stay up all night staring at him to make sure he is ok. :) I kind of like him. ;) I will update more tomorrow. I am hoping the report will be that he is very spunky and ready to just jump out of bed... ok maybe not jump out of bed just yet (although he did sit in a chair for about an hour this morning). Granted, he dozed off the whole time, but he got out of bed at least. Still not interested in eating (2 crackers and a little water is all he had today). I guess that is normal... once again, a concern, but nothing that anybody else seems to be worried about.

I did tell him that he had been officially welcomed to "postie land" and that everybody's pirate socks were dirty and I got the cutest little crooked grin out of him (the only time you can really tell that they were even near his facial nerve is when he smiles and eats).

Anyway, until tomorrow...
Love,
Jenni
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2008, 07:28:07 pm »
Hang in there Jenni.  Like 'Joef' said, he WILL be sleepy for at least a couple of weeks, if not more, it is normal.
Also normal is the decreased appetite.  I lost 15 lbs in less then a week.   
His body is working overtime to heal,  the surgery is like being hit by a mack truck.
Little by little, he will regain stamina.

And,  with all the stress you've been under,  I suggest when you both get home,  you'll need some naps too ! !

Continued healing to Pooter.    Keep a peaceful heart Jenni.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis