Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82113 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2008, 06:13:36 pm »
I totally agree with Kate on the goals.  They can be tiny goals, too - even something simple like eating a piece of toast (or a jello) - it is important to feel like you are taking control of something. 

Let Brian know we are all cheering for him and know he is going to do fine - yep, Brian Rocks!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2008, 07:12:58 pm »
Hi, Jenni,

I had double vision after my both AN surgreries. I don't remember how long I had it after the first one which was 20 years ago but after the second one I was able to look at myself at day 7 post surgery. On day 10 I was logged in to Internet and was surfing away for the lack of something better to do. Double vision, was explained to me, can be a side-effect of AN surgery if the tumor is big enough to involve brainstem and certain cranial nerves that control the eye. In my case  it was but I do not know how big Brian's tumor was and what it involved. Tell Brian (and yourself!) not to worry. Double vision is usually quick to go away. It is very rare for it to linger. I am really glad he is in no pain! This takes a long time in my experience (from the first time only, though). I hope this info helps. It really sounds like Brian is doing well so far!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2008, 08:14:17 pm »
No problem, Phyl... with all these AN related money making ventures I've come up with lately, one of them's bound to pay off... when they do - then I'm buying!  And if they don't, Jan can just pick up this tab

Gee, I'm late to log on today and already Lori's volunteering me to buy the drinks  ???   I'll definitely be at the symposium but I'm thinking that Steve will want to buy all the drinks for everyone, so I don't want to insult him or make him feel bad by offering to do so myself  ;D

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Jenni -

I remember feeling exactly the way you are describing Brian, so don't be too concerned about his behavior.  I had double-vision for 2 or 3 days post op - I thought I told him that, but he probably forgot.  The double-vision can be very annoying and downright upsetting (scary, really) plus it does add greatly to the nausea.  It is a side-effect of the surgery.  I was told that in some cases it can be permanent, but I thankfully wasn't one of those cases.  I'm confident Brian won't be either.  I remember I kept looking at everybody with one eye closed - I even watched the TV that way when I could stand to watch it at all.  With one eye closed, the double vision didn't exist.  As far as I know, the doctors can't give Brian anything for the double-vision, he just has to wait it out.  Hopefully it will be gone in a day or two.

The dizziness is normal too and is probably why Brian isn't exactly ecstatic at the prospect of getting out of bed and walking - even to the bathroom.  The nausea may also be keeping him from wanting to be too mobile, but moving into a chair is a good step.  Hopefully as his nausea subsides he won't be so leery of walking around. 

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2008, 09:24:00 am »
Hi Jenni,

I join everyone else in wishing Brian well - so glad the surgery is behind him, but know the first few days are so hard.  I hope the nauseousness goes away soon - it can often be worse than pain.  We're all cheering him on to recovery!

You take care too,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Tamara

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2008, 10:03:02 am »
Pooter & Jenni,
  I have been checking in daily to see how you are doing.  Hope to hear from you when you have a chance. 

Hugs,
Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

sgerrard

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2008, 10:04:58 am »

Gee, I'm late to log on today and already Lori's volunteering me to buy the drinks  ???   I'll definitely be at the symposium but I'm thinking that Steve will want to buy all the drinks for everyone, so I don't want to insult him or make him feel bad by offering to do so myself  ;D

Yeah, Jan, you are a real mind-reader, that is just what I was thinking, I am so glad you took my feelings into account. Thanks a bunch.  ;D

Go Pooter!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2008, 10:07:37 am »
Just wanted to tell others, in case you didn't see it, that Nicole's mom posted and told us that she is doing well after her surgery.

Guess we're just waiting for news of Kimberly now.  Let's keep her in our prayers.

And, Steve - you know I was only thinking of you.  I knew how disappointed you'd be if I offered to pick up the whole tab.  But it seems you are off the hook.  I heard from Lori earlier today that she's had second thoughts and has decided that she just couldn't live with herself if she didn't pay for everyone.

Thank you SO much, Lori  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2008, 10:07:48 am »
Jenni -

Like everyone else mentioned - this is all normal.  I remember having no interest in tv, books, music, small talk or anything in the days following my surgery.  That anaesthesia just does a number on your body and it takes a while for it to work its way out of your system.  I can remember one day my husband and my sister came to visit me before he took my sister back to the airport to head home and I chatted for about 5 minutes and then just said "I'm sorry, I just have to sleep now".  I just really couldn't stay awake. I felt bad because my sister was leaving that day, but your body has a way of letting you know what it needs, and mine needed to sleep.  

Once he feels up to short trips to the bathroom, the distances will get longer and longer.  Progress can seem really slow, but it happens.  All of us here have learned patience through all this - and for some of us, that was not an easy thing to learn!

You're doing a great job!  I'm sure he'll buy you something nice when he's back on his feet again - you deserve it!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2008, 10:08:40 am »
Oh, forgot to say -  a very big wish for a great Mother's Day to you Jenni  ;D

Jan

LADavid

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2008, 10:26:16 am »
Hi Jenni

Thanks again for the update.  Maybe Brian needs his guitar.  As far as what he is experiencing, I was a bit fortunate -- at least in the hospital as far as the dizziness and double vision.  I thought I was "fine".  But the one thing -- as everyone else has said, I was very tired.  While I appreciated guests, I could only handle company so long.  And even the second day at home, I fell asleep on the kitchen floor while making breakfast.  Nap attacks will happen for the first month.  The one thing I have learned that I never had before is Patience.  The recovery is a very long process for some that is only measured in very tiny successes.  As I have picked up from the long-time pros on this forum, you do get better -- it's just impossible to see when it's measured day to day.

Say hi to Brian and Happy Mother's Day.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2008, 06:32:03 pm »
Thanks for all of your comments and advice. Today was a great Mother's Day all things considered. Brian asked this morning for something to drink and went through 3 apple juices in about 5 minutes. He then asked to go to the bathroom and told me he wanted to walk. We walked to the bathroom together (although slowly) with no problems. He sat in the chair two different times today as well (for about 2 hours total). He reported that the double vision is better today, and at times it was not there at all. He ordered dinner, but I went with the kids for a few hours today while his Mom was there, so not sure if he ate or not. I shall see in a few as I am on my way back to the hospital to spend the night with him. He is not in any pain still, but complaining about being sleepy and sore all over (OR table and a bed for three days can do that to you I am sure). I also got a nice surprise at home yesterday afternoon. I got flowers delivered from guess who! He arranged to have my favorite (tulips) sent for Mother's Day weekend. Even with all of his stress, he was thinking of others... so typical of him. :) Anyway, all is well given the situation. I will update later (although not as often I am sure as progress is slower at this point). I will let everyone know when he is released from the hospital.
Love,
Jenni
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2008, 06:46:16 pm »
Jenni -

sounds like Brian is right on target as far as his recovery goes.  I had no pain post op either - didn't take pain meds - but I was stiff, especially my neck from being turned to the side for so many hours so the docs could remove my AN.  This too shall pass.  I'm glad the double vision is getting better, it will probably be nonexistent in another day or two.

It's so great that Brian thought to order you flowers for Mother's Day before his surgery.  Very sweet  :)

Thank you for all your updates these past few days.  It won't be long before Brian is updating us himself.

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2008, 08:28:10 pm »
Jenni,

If Brian sat in the chair two times today and walked to the bathroom, it ups the ante for tomorrow:-)
Each day you report, I hear progress.  Yeah!

I was surprised myself by the lack of pain after surgery, but for me I didn't have any.  If Brian hasn't had any at this point, he most likely won't.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2008, 07:09:35 am »
Way to go, Brian!!! When you start asking for food, and to take walks, you've just turned a major corner - I am so thrilled for you!  I suspect you'll be getting eager to go home soon - that first night in my own bed was beyond blissful.  Of course, if you miss all the hospital sounds, maybe you can have Jenni rig up some beeps and alarms during the night  ;).  Or, maybe your bad ear can produce some interesting sounds to keep you amused.  Okay, I'm being silly - I am really so veyr happy to hear that you were feeling better yesterday.

And, you get lots of gold stars for remembering mother's day and ordering Jenni's favorite flowers (tulips are my favorite, too, Jenni!) 

I'm cheering you both on from NJ - keep us updated, Jenni, when you can.  And, Brian, when you're ready, look forward to hearing from you, too (but don't push it.)

Debbi - smiling in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2008, 10:37:39 am »
Hello all. Brian was up and walking again this morning and actually went through a bowl of cherrios and a few strawberries. He had some juice as well. He has one concern at this point that maybe you can all help me with. He is still very slow with his speech and he told me he felt "mentally retarded"... like he was not as smart as he was last week. I reported this to the doctor and he said that was not typical, but it could be the steroids. Did any of you have this concern as well? He remembers things from the past (birthdates, vacations, names, etc.), but he is not "all there" yet. The fact he is aware he is slow at this point seems good to me, but this is all new to me and I don't know what to expect. The only drugs he is on at this point though are the steroids, stool softener, and Nexium. Please advise. Thanks.
Love,
Jenni
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager