Author Topic: Ten Days After Diagnosis and Making Progress - BoogerectomyRe-Scheduled  (Read 11095 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Ten Days After Diagnosis and Making Progress - Boogerectomy Scheduled!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2008, 11:02:54 am »
AAAARRRR!!!!! Me surgeon left that little feller in thar to guard aginst the return o the dreaded booger! Nice bloke  aye???

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Hi Calimama -

Great city - Toronto!  One of the cleanest and most beautiful cities in North America.

In terms of the speed of treatment, part of that is my own desire to get this done with and get on with life.  And, part of it is that the booger is pressing into my cerebellum and the facial nerve is stretched across the top of it.  No one has recommended waiting, and even the GK guy said that radiation really wasn't a good option for me.  What I think I've learned is that it is as much the configuration and exact location as the size that directs treatment.

I was really, really lucky to be able to get into see two treatment teams within two weeks of diagnosis.  In addition, I sent my MRI CD to House Ear Clinic in LA and they got back to me within 24 hours.  All of this, along with a pretty consistent opinion that translab was the way to go, made my decision fairly easy.

As for other symptoms - none, really.  I have had some occasional balance issues in the last year (which I incorrectly attributed to getting a little older and not doing my yoga as consistently as I should!)  Other that that, my first indication that something was amiss was about 6 or so months ago when I started to become aware of decreased hearing in my right ear.  Of course, I assumed it was just aging and genetics (my dad went suddenly deaf about 35 years ago) and put off the ENT visit until March.  Don't think it would have made a lot of difference if I went sooner - and can't worry about it anyway at this point. 

What you've probably gathered from reading a lot of the posts on this forum is that a sense of humor is really important.  If also helps to "de-scare" this thing we've all got.  It's a bump in the road of life - not the end of life!

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further.  I don't have a lot of answers, but I do have a lot of optimism (okay, and sometimes a fair amount of fear!)

Debbi (and Ethel - but not for long!!)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:38:44 pm by Debbi »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

calimama

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 05:52:46 pm »
Debbi,
Thanks for your reply and nice words about Toronto. Most Americans seem to have wishful ideas about the city. I have lived a few places (including Sydney, Australia - paradise!) but Toronto is pretty cool... particularly the way that so many people of so many different backgrounds seem to live in harmony (for the most part). I understand it is not as clean as it used to be, but i guess everything is relative.
I am sure that you had so many opinions pointing in the same direction helped make your decision easier. Sometimes i think that is the best case scenerio, other times i just think i want options! Anyway, i hope i can get some clarity about my little 'intruder' next week when i meet with the GK guy. I wonder if the AN is all wrapped up in the facial nerve?? I have no idea. Gosh i hope not.
Anyway, thanks again for your support. We will all be wishing you well in the journey ahead and looking forward to good news from you from the other side.
Yoga sounds like a good thing to take up these days! OOOmmmm OOOOmmmm OOOOmmmm.... ;)

take care...

Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

LADavid

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 06:01:16 pm »
Debbi
That is great news.  I have April 16 marked on my calendar.  Please know that you have a great group of people here on the post-op side to bounce questions off -- no matter how crazy they may sound.

BTW, K's T3 is this Friday -- are there any other "boogerectomys" or T3s scheduled soon?

And I thought you might all enjoy this -- I shared the "brainbooger" terminology and Capt Debs MRI with my Hollywood friends.  They just shake their heads and say we have a dark sense of humor.  I just half-smile and agree.

Have a great week.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 07:40:24 pm »
David~
I've done the 1/2 smile thing for years now and made MANY jokes about it -- it just hit me when i read your post that MAYBE I wouldn't have it anymore...don't want to get my hopes up...but MAYBE...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 07:43:24 pm »
I'm praying for you, K.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lori67

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 08:11:02 pm »
K - your half smile is better and means more than any full smile I've ever seen!  But I can understand how much it would mean to have the whole smile back - so I hope your surgery is a success and your smile is lighting up the whole state of Texas in no time!

Good luck to all with their upcoming surgeries!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 08:14:21 pm »
Lori~
Shucks..you make me blush!

Hey!  What ever happened to that phone conversation???
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

elderbirds

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 08:58:43 pm »
I'm scheduled for my "boogerectomy" on April 2nd at Hopkins!  9 days yikes!  starting to move into that last minute panick phase.
Hope

Kaybo

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 09:03:55 pm »
I was just about to put this date up b/c I remembered that David had asked, but I couldn't remember which thread it was on...LOL!!
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2008, 09:55:55 am »
Okay, by my calculations, we have at leat two boogerectomies and one T3 scheudled within the next 3.5 weeks. 

Anyone else want to get in on the fun?? 8)

Deb
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Ten Days After Diagnosis and Making Progress - BoogerectomyRe-Scheduled
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 10:41:41 am »
 :P  Just got word that my boogerectomy has moved back one week to the 23rd.  Disappointing, but I'll just have to find ways to keep myself REALLY busy between now and then so I don't go nuts!

Deb - enjoying springtime in NJ
2.4 cm Right Side AN

lori67

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2008, 12:30:33 pm »
Okay, by my calculations, we have at leat two boogerectomies and one T3 scheudled within the next 3.5 weeks. 

Anyone else want to get in on the fun?? 8)

Deb

No thanks Deb!  I'm staying away from sharp objects aiming for my head for a little while!  Which reminds me, I need a hair cut.... :-\

K - that phone call is coming!  Between your jet-setting and my kids running me from one place to the next - I think I should find a way to just attach a phone permanently to my BAHA attachment... hmmm... is that another one of my brilliant ideas...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2008, 12:38:31 pm »
Now that is a good idea...unmfortunately, the market is not a HUGE one...
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2008, 12:39:17 pm »
Do you have me down for April 17th?      Do I get extra points since good ol NF2 is making this my  4th surgery.   3rd tumor and 1 CSF leak.     It's still nervewracking in some ways and easier in others as I do have a clue what to expect.    
Then May hopefully the cochlear implant for the extra bonus round.
                                                       Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care