Author Topic: Ten Days After Diagnosis and Making Progress - BoogerectomyRe-Scheduled  (Read 11096 times)

jtd71465

Re: Ten Days After Diagnosis and Making Progress
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 12:12:57 pm »
Can't wait to hear about your meeting with Dr. Golfino's, you can either post here or send me a private message, remember calling is always an option.  Wishing you the best.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Ten Days After Diagnosis and Making Progress - Boogerectomy Scheduled
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 09:35:06 am »
After two full days of talking to brain docs this week, I have reached a decision and am having translab done at NYU by Drs. Golfinos and Roland and their team.  Wahoo!  The booger is coming out - i am having a "boogerectomy!!!"

These guys impressed me so much that it made the decsion easy.  All three surgeons were unanimous that radiation isn't an option given the size and position of Ethel.  And, also unanimous that hearing preservation isn't a realistic goal.  So, translab it is - look out SSD World - here I come!!

Pending final confirmation of the surgical schedules, I am tentatively scheduled for the morning of April 16 - which I will offically designate as my lucky day! 

I'm going to have about a zilliion questions about post surgical recovery, but will compose my thoughts before I post.

Deb - Ready for the Boogerectomy!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

satman

Re: Ten Days After Diagnosis and Making Progress - Boogerectomy Scheduled!
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 09:55:12 am »
dont sweat the SSD,it's has'nt been a big deal for me and I work in television with audio/video.
the hardest part to get used to is when someone yells out your name and you have to determine
where it's coming from,other than that no big deal,at least for me.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 10:44:32 am »
Deb -

congratulations on reaching your decision!  It's a great feeling to have all your hard work and research pay off.  Having all three docs agree is very reassuring and I can tell by the tone of your post that you have a lot of confidence in them.

SSD isn't a big deal for some, they learn to adjust very well; but if you find it too frustrating for you, there's always the BAHA or TransEar.

Three cheers for booger removal  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 11:30:57 am »
 ;D  Thanks, Satman and Jan - you have already made me feel better! 

Deb - Future Postie
2.4 cm Right Side AN

lori67

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 11:49:32 am »
Deb -

Glad to hear you're getting your "Ethel-ectomy".  Ethel might not be too glad, but we sure are!

Try not to drive yourself too crazy with questions and "what-ifs".  You've got a good team of doctors and you'll be in good hands.

On April 16th, I'll be flying to Arizona to visit my in-laws.  At least you can consider that day YOUR lucky day...  :P

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jtd71465

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 12:03:24 pm »
Lori-

Don't make me start with "mama" jokes....

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 12:25:21 pm »
Oh Boy, Another Deb with a sense of humor with another Brain Booger.  We're having fun now! I just thought Ethel would enjoy a laugh at me former booger that usta inhabit me old brain pan! Enjoy!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 01:04:22 pm »
Debbi,
I love your attitude.  You will do fine!  Happy thoughts coming your way!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 05:44:37 pm »
Hello All~
Debbie, I am glad you have made a decision and have set a date!  I think that is the hardest part.  Poor Ethel...at least we will still be able to BLAME things on her...if it were my girlies they would say, "Ethel MADE me do it!"

Lori~ You just make me laugh out loud!!  You are so funny!  I,too, think you have GREAT ideas!

OK, since satman brought up not being able to distinguish when someone yells your name, I have to tell y'all my newest story!!  We went to Baltimore for the consult on my surgery and we were staying at a friend's apartment (well, really we didn't know her, but her parents).  We were going to meet her for breakfast Wednesday morning and came outside to get in the car.  A lady (I hate to say this, but pretty "masculine" looking) was outside about 3 doors down (in front of where our car was parked) -- I heard a VERY HIGH voice say, "hello!" and i thought "WOW! That was NOT the voice I thought would come out of her!" but she was the ONLY other person around.  She came walking toward us and pointed up into a tree at a PARROT!!  It was the parrot who had greeted us!  The lady then went on to tell us that the parrot "Goldy" had a thing for blonde females!!  I walked on to the car b/c my arms were full of stuff -- right as I got there, a flutter of wings were everywhere all around my head!!  I ducked down (I'm sure that there was some screaming or at least yelps) and when I looked up, Dave was holding a parrot on his finger!!  How crazy is that?  I guess she wanted at the blonde girl!!!  I told Melynn that we wouldn't have been late if I hadn't of been accosted by a PARROT!!

OK, that really didn't have anything to do with anything, but I thought it was funny!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 09:11:49 pm »
K -

If you had said you'd been accosted by anything else in downtown Baltimore, I would have thought nothing of it - but a parrot?  What are the chances??

Joe, go ahead... you can do some "mama' jokes - it'll give me something to think about and laugh at as I'm getting off the plane.....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 10:29:58 pm »
Deb -

On April 16th, I'll be flying to Arizona to visit my in-laws.  At least you can consider that day YOUR lucky day...  :P

Lori

Deb is definitely getting the better end of the deal - I'd take a boogerectomy over my mother-in-law any day LOL

Oh wait, she's now my EX-mother-in-law; much better than I thought  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 06:33:29 pm »
Hey, you gals (and guys) are all cracking me up!  Thanks so much for the opportunity to laugh - it is the best medicine!

I got final confirmation last night that I am definitely on for the 16th of April for translab.  I can't believe that I am saying this - but I am really excited to have a date (as I said to Kay - when did it become exciting to have brain surgery????)   :o

Capn Deb - I LOVE your post boogerectomy MRI!

Chillin (literally today) in NJ
Deb
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 07:16:14 pm »

I got final confirmation last night that I am definitely on for the 16th of April for translab.  I can't believe that I am saying this - but I am really excited to have a date (as I said to Kay - when did it become exciting to have brain surgery????)   :o

Deb

Most of us felt that way !! ... once a date was set .. it was a relief !!  a relief to be know after that BIG day .. (most) of my issues would go away forever!!   I now refer to that date as BS .. (Before Surgery)    ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 07:23:40 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

calimama

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 10:00:37 am »
Hi Debbi,
Wow, your surgery is coming fast! I think that must be a relief.
I am still waiting on my consultations for both surgery and GK.
Do you have some symptoms/issues that make it necessary for a speedy remedy or is that just the way it goes in the US (i am in Toronto Canada)?
My AN is a bit larger than yours (2.9cm) and orginates in the CP angle, so there is already "mass effect" on the brain stem. Is this also the case with you and the reason why radiation is not an option for you??
I am meeting finally with GK doc this week (and surgeon the week after) so finally i will have an answer to all my questions, but I can't help but find i am still looking for some indications in advance as to what my options will be.

Thanks for your humour and insight. You are so right to say that it could be so much worse than a benign, treatable tumor. I wish you a safe and speedy surgery and recovery. Soon you will be one of those people who is here is guide other newly diagnosed people through this.

Thanks!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.