Author Topic: Eye Weight Surgery Question  (Read 8919 times)

LADavid

Eye Weight Surgery Question
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:23:14 pm »
Hey all you eye-weighters and lower lid-tuckers,

I have a couple of questions.  I made my appointment to have the surgery, but they wanted me to come in for a full physical like the one I had before the AN Surgery.  Is that normal?

The other question, what is recovery like?  Does it do anything serious that you can't be up and around in a day?  My birthday is two days after the surgery and I don't want to be a in another recovery mode.

Also, did any of you have any issue with insurance covering the procedure?

Hoping your day is great.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Karen

Re: Eye Weight Surgery Question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:40:38 pm »
 I had my eye weight put in a few months after my AN surgery.  I had a black eye for a week or so, but I bruise easy.  There weren't any major restrictions that I can remember.  It took a while for the swelling to go down.  No problems with my insurance and we have a PPO where they are really picky.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:57:09 pm »
I CHOSE TO HAVE MINE PUT IN BY A PLASTIC SURGEON OUT OF STATE AND MY INSURANCE COVERED IT. I HAD A LETTER SENT FROM MY SURGEON STATING MEDICAL NECESSITY OF THE WEIGHT AND THE LOWER LIFT PROCEDURE. COST $7,1000.00 BUT WE JUST PAID THE DEDUCTIBLE. THE PROCEDURE FOR THE LID DIDN'T HURT THAT BAD BUT THE CANTHOPLASTY TO CUT THE TENDONS AND MUSCLES FROM THE BONE, SHORTEN THEM AND REATTACH WITH THE INCISION IN THE CORNER OF THE EYE HURT LIKE CRAZY AND STAYED SWOLLEN FOR MONTHS. MY LOWER LID WAS DROOPING. DON'T HAVE THIS DONE UNTIL WAY LATER. GIVE YOUR FACE A CHANCE TO COME BACK FIRST AND SEE HOW IT TONES UP ON ITS ON. MY WEIGHT IS COMING OUT IN APRIL BECAUSE IT'S TOO HEAVY CAUSING MY EYELID TO DROOP BAD. WILL HAVE TO WAIT 6 WEEKS FOR SWELLING TO GO DOWN THEN DECIDE IF I NEED ANOTHER PUT IN. SOMETIMES IT TAKES MORE THAN ONE SURGERY TO GET THE RIGHT WEIGHT PUT IN.
CROOKEDSMILE

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 04:21:24 pm »
Hi David:  I was fine even the evening of my surgery, but your eye will be swollen for some time, & some bruising.

My surgeon also wanted preop:  bloodwork:  Basic chemistry panel, CBC & PT, PTT;   also a  urinalysis, & EKG.   I met with the anesthesiologist the morning of the procedure.

No problem with insurance:  this meets medical necessity criteria:  it's to protect the cornea & prevent corneal ulcers from developing.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 06:16:48 am »
I did not have a  "full" workup .. but did have a mini one .. blood was taken etc....

I was in the hospital I think for only 30 min! .. it was quick and easy.. (I did it on a Friday so I could easily return to work Monday) the first day I did take some pain meds and but that was it .. and was a little red for a week ..

well worth it ....  ;D ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:51:13 am »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I think I now know what to expect.  So I am going ahead with it.  March 25.  Then as of April 15, I'm heading to Kanab Utah to volunteer with horse care at Best Friends animal sanctuary  until I recover well enough to go back to acting.  It'll be good to have my eye issues resolved before I go.  Thanks again
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 11:52:15 am »
Good luck with the surgery, David.  I hope everything goes smoothly.

I meant to tell you before that I think the Best Friends volunteering is a great thing; I read about it in another one of your posts; good for you.

I'll have to look into something like this for me and my kids.  They are at an age where they need to start getting involved in something like this - actually we should have done it years ago.  Is there a website where I can get more info?

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 12:06:24 pm »
Jan
Here's the website for Best Friends
http://bestfriends.org/
It's a great organization and in beautiful country.  Very frontier.  My brother is the human resource director there and his wife works there as well.  It is an excellent place to heal while caring for others.  They recently took in Michael Vicks dogs that could be saved.  Take a look at the site and enjoy.  And thanks for your interest.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 12:15:45 pm »
David -

thanks for the great link.  I'm on my lunch hour @ work, so I don't have time to thoroughly check it out right now, but I'll do so later tonight.  This might be a great thing to get my kids involved in.  They've recently seen some really heart-breaking commercials on TV asking for donations and help for homeless and abused animals and they've been expressing an interest in getting involved.  This might be right up our alley.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »
Hey David~
I had my eye weight done 3 times to get the "right" one -- third times a charm!!  :D  I realize now that I have things easy in a way b/c I don't feel anything on that side -- the surgeries were a piece of cake for me.  In fact, the 3rd was done late one afternoon and I went straight to my daughter's make-up soccer game (w/ my frozen peas, of course!).  I never did any pre-op work that I can remember -- I MAY have the 1st time b/c it was in a surgery center, but he just did the other two in the office.  I had them give me a little something to relax b/c I didn't want to hear them cutting (been there, done that) but the last time we didn't.  The med recovery was MUCH worse than the surgery.  I bruise REALLY badly but only bruised the 1st two.  What does your Dr. say about the platinum weight?  I was going to ask the Dr. in Baltimore about that next week when we go for the condultation for the T3 surgery.
Can't wait to hear about the Best Friends stuff!!  I will check out the website you gave Jan!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Glenda

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:04:42 am »
Hey David,

Hope everything goes well for your surgery on the 25th. 
I love the Best Friends idea.  I am a HUGE animal lover  :)
I looked at the website and the place is beautiful.  I can think of no place better to go and heal.  Beautiful scenery and the love of animals.  May you heal fast and feel better really soon!

K,
I know you are at your consult today for the T3 surgery, I hope things go well and you get really good news too.  :)

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 03:48:54 pm »
Believe it or not, SAG Insurance denied the procedure saying that it was cosmetic -- thanks to all the vain actors.  My opthomologist is now going back and forth with them.  As a result, I've had to postpone the surgery and as a result of that, put my plans on hold for going to Best Friends. My half smile isn't real big at the moment.  Bureaucrats.  Blah.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 04:21:48 pm »
Actually, I can't believe it.   Geez louise....   Well, all your eye surgeon has to do is call the insurance co.,  tell them you had an AN, with complications of facial paralysis, cannot blink,  & you will have damage to your cornea if this is not treated ASAP.   This IS a medical necessity.   
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 04:26:11 pm »
I can't even believe that!!!  What person in their right mind, actor or not, would WANT something extra on thieir eyelid????????  I'm so sorry...I'm sure it will get taken care of, but just add more time & effort...AND wreck all your carefully laid plans!!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 05:00:49 pm »
Maybe some people think a lowered lid has a 'sultry look' ?   Beats me too K.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis