Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 406051 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 04:24:02 pm »
Kate,

I just finished "My Sister's Keeper"  a well written book.  An emotional roller coaster ride.  I also read "The Kite Runner" another amazing book. 

Lorenzo,

You and my hubby have the same reading habits.....is it a male thing.....you know I love you both ::)
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 07:02:47 pm »
Kate,

I just finished "My Sister's Keeper"  a well written book.  An emotional roller coaster ride.  I also read "The Kite Runner" another amazing book. 

I was surprised by the twist in My Sister's Keeper. It would definately generate conversation as it includes moral dilemmas. It was my first introduction to Jodi Piccoult books. 

I have not read the other two suggested: Water for Elephants nor Loving Frank.

It seems we are all over the board, so 16 it will be your call...I will follow your lead.  I suggest two to three weeks to finish a book as not all will have time to read it at one time. 

Kate
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 07:06:03 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 07:49:10 pm »
The Kite Runner is a great book, but as Steve points out, it's a little grim.

I liked My Sister's Keeper, but found the ending disappointing.  I thought Nineteen Minutes was much better written.

Has anyone heard of "The Short Bus" by Jonathan Mooney?  I bought it a few months ago, but haven't started it yet.  I'm currently reading Gone with the Wind; haven't read it in years.  It's my favorite movie, but the book is even better.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OMG16

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 09:15:26 pm »
Jan tell us more about the short bus.  We have quite a decision to make as I am unsure also, it may take us a month to decide on a book.  They all sound like good choices.  I am so confused.  ???
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

OMG16

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 10:38:50 pm »
Well I'm going to reply to my own post.  Jan congradulations on your successful Baha surgery!  In honor of you and your strength I crown you our first ANA book club Queen.  The book will be your choice and you may state the time frame to finish the book and can lead the discussion.  Then after your turn at being Queen you may choose your replacement.  This will be such fun.

Everyone welcome Queen Jan and let the fun begin.  ;D 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 10:50:51 pm »
16 -

I've never even been in a book club before, much less been nominated Queen of one, so I have no idea where to begin ???  I'm thinking I should defer my nomination to Queen-Elect and let someone who has a clue be first.

Here is a review of The Short Bus that I copied from Amazon.com:

From School Library Journal
Adult/High School–Many kids with physical, mental, and learning disabilities have ridden the short bus to special-education classes, signaling that they were different, singled out, not normal. Mooney was one of those short bus children who hated school because he was dyslexic and couldn't read until he was 12. In 2003, a few years after he graduated from Brown University, he cowrote a book on learning disabilities and began a career of public speaking on the subject. Then he set out on a journey. He bought an old short bus and traveled from Los Angeles to Maine to Washington and back to L.A., stopping to visit with various people who were also not normal. Along the way, he confronted his own preconceptions and assumptions about people with autism, Down syndrome, deafness and blindness, ADHD, and other so-called disabilities. In this book, he deals with the question of What is normal? This is a story about a young man coming to accept himself, but also a cautionary tale about what happens in schools, in the workplace, and in society when people fail to recognize that everyone is normal, just in different ways. Mooney is an engaging writer with a sense of humor about his own failings, and his story is an entertaining and enlightening one.–Sarah Flowers, Santa Clara County Library, CA
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

I'm not sure this is a book that will appeal to everyone.  Maybe we should go with Kite Runner or My Sister's Keeper?  As Kate said, My Sister's Keeper is bound to bring lots of discussion due to the moral dilemmas.  Plus it has a "medical theme" which kind of ties in nicely with the fact that as a group we are kind of tied into a medical theme.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OMG16

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 10:59:35 pm »
OK Jan that is fine you can be a Co Queen perhaps.

My Sisters Keeper sounds like a good first book.  What do all of you think? 

Kate you are a born leader and have such a way with words and seem to think of everything so would you mind leading the discussion?  This is not one of my strengths.  So I would be forever grateful to you.  Then you would be our first ANA book club Queen.   ;D 16

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 01:32:45 am »
So, you don't want to read Marley and Me by John Grogan?  I've been recommending that book for months! :D   

I just finished Death by Black Hole by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.  I love astronomy. 

Yeah, if you guys want to do a book club, maybe you should just decide what "list" you want to follow and just go down a list, because you might never agree on a book!  Or pick a "host" every month and let that person decide what book to read - Like Oprah! 

Hope you have fun!

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 05:00:20 am »
OK Jan that is fine you can be a Co Queen perhaps.

My Sisters Keeper sounds like a good first book.  What do all of you think? 

Kate you are a born leader and have such a way with words and seem to think of everything so would you mind leading the discussion?  This is not one of my strengths.  So I would be forever grateful to you.  Then you would be our first ANA book club Queen.   ;D 16

16 and Jan,
Oh my, how can I turn down the role of Book Club Discussion Leader Queen with those kind words?  My only dilemma is that I will be out of the country between March 13-22 without access to internet.   However, people do need time to read the book.

My Sister's Keeper will be a good book...a reader get's into the plot right away and there are many avenues for discussion.

Let me ponder and suggest some guidelines later today. 

Off to library this morning  to get the book....

Kate
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:16:54 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 07:05:34 am »
Yeah, Kate.

Jan

sgerrard

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 11:41:59 pm »
So do I have this right? Our assignment is to read My Sister's Keeper, and we better get it done by March 22, 'cause Queen Kate is giving us a quiz when she gets back from her international tour? 

Anybody got the Cliff Notes?  :D

Alright, enough wise cracks, time to get reading.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Raydean

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2008, 05:30:43 am »
I've been following this thread with interest.  I have a small suggestion, especially now that we have co
book club queens.  Would it be possible to have 2  different books going at the same time with members choosing which one to read and  discuss.  (one or both)  This way we could easily share the books that we've all ready read with others.  I know in small towns libraries have limited supply of books and the possibility of going on the waiting list, discussion may be over and done with before the book arrives.  Some on the list may find it difficult to purchase a book a month due to financial reasons.  Those that choose could share (mail) the book to other members.  At the given times books discussion could be switched.  It would be one way to include more readers and not leave anyone out.   

Just a thought

Hugs and Love
Raydean
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 05:34:17 am by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2008, 06:28:15 pm »
I've been following this thread with interest.  I have a small suggestion, especially now that we have co
book club queens.  Would it be possible to have 2  different books going at the same time with members choosing which one to read and  discuss.  (one or both)  This way we could easily share the books that we've all ready read with others.  I know in small towns libraries have limited supply of books and the possibility of going on the waiting list, discussion may be over and done with before the book arrives.  Some on the list may find it difficult to purchase a book a month due to financial reasons.  Those that choose could share (mail) the book to other members.  At the given times books discussion could be switched.  It would be one way to include more readers and not leave anyone out.   

Just a thought

Hugs and Love
Raydean

Raydean,
Were you able to get the book?

You raise a really good point about gaining access to the book in small towns.   My initial thought is that we may need to extend the reading time as the group thus far numbers around ten people. This way people can have a longer period to access and read the book.  Also, if we keep away from #1 best sellers it may be easier to get the book.

Let me know if you or anyone else has trouble locating the book, My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Piccoult.

If we have two clubs, I'd want to be in both:)

Will post guidelines soon...

Kate

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:29:48 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

OMG16

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 07:28:24 pm »
Raydean I will go out and see if I can buy the book if I can I will read it as quickly as possible and can forward it on to you.  Just send me a PM with your address.  I think we could do 2 at a time we can do anything we want it is our club.  It is very hard to figure out what book so this may  be a good thing.  We can just have 2 different discussion threads so we do not find out what happens in each others books.

Sue I think your choice is a good one and maybe that can be #2 in line.  Just do not tell my son as he wants to see the movie with me when it comes out.  Boy would he be mad so I will have to read in the closet so he doesn't know.  I think the Queen/Host is a good idea and then we can all have a turn at choosing.  Good ideas Vancouver Sue!

Now all we have to do is find a couple of crowns to pass around.  We are starting the fun now.  Boy everyone watch out it could get interesting with the moral issues.  16
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:31:01 pm by OMG16 »

Raydean

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2008, 09:49:44 pm »
Hi Kate and OMG

I'll have a chance this weekend to pick up the book.  But thank you both.  I was just looking at  it from a little different perspective coming from a small town where the nearest book store is a 45 to 60 minute drive. A couple of years ago or so, our only book store which was 10 miles away was closed.  It'll give me a good excuse to go to Olympia.  Borders build a large new store in West Olympia and it's one of my favorite places to go.  Party City is just down the road, I think I could find some crowns too!!!!!!  Do count me in and I'll be glad to share the book if a second discussion group is formed.

Hugs
raydean 
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.