Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407419 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2008, 10:06:35 pm »
So do I have this right? Our assignment is to read My Sister's Keeper,and we better get it done by March 22, 'cause Queen Kate is giving us a quiz when she gets back from her international tour?   
Steve

You've got the assignment ;) Let's extend the due date until March 30 which gives people 3 1/2 weeks to read.

These are my thoughts relative to our internet book club.
1. The book is selected and a due date is assigned.
2. The discussion leader posts a question .Then individuals post their thoughts.
3.  Others ask questions that are of interest too and we continue until we exhaust what we want to say.
4.  Discussion leader brings popcorn and trail mix to pass around.We can meet at my castle ;D
5. We need a clever name.....Suggestions anyone?

We can work this two ways...one would be to read, post and respond as we read or wait until we are finished reading to respond.  Your thoughts?

All are invited to read.

Let the reading begin!!!!!

Kate

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 10:13:57 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

OMG16

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2008, 03:07:07 am »
Raydean are you from Washington also?  I'm up I-5 to the north and we drive right through Olympia on our way to Westport and then on to Tokeland over the 4th of July.  We just bought property in Concrete/Rockport on Highway 20 on the way to Winthrope so we will probably be up there over the 4th this year.  We have a 5th wheel that we all love to camp in.  If you are ever in the area you will have to let me know and we can go for a hike or go to Baker Lake in our boat.  My son is determined to wake board and is sure he will succeed this year.  He is doing so much better each day that he may do it.  We have been playing trivia games and his memory and cognitive functions are increasing.  Now if we could just get rid of the left sided paralysis we would have it made.  I love party city that is a great place for a crown and we can have a prince and princess theme to go with our first book party.

Kate I am easy and since you are the Queen I will listen to what you say.  Do you have enough room in your castle for all of us to stay and have a PJ party.  I think I will wear my frog jammies and my tiger slippers to the party.  We do not need to wear matching stylish jammies do we?  We can put on Jimmy Buffet and the Bee Gees and dance the night away.

If someone does not have access to the book PM me and I will send one to you.  I have some extra allowance money since I have been stuck in the house during my infection and surgery.  It will do us all some good to get away from everything even if it is just in our minds.  I'm very excited about our new adventures and just can't wait to see what everyone has to stay.

As far as the name of the group I'm drawing a blank but I do know that someone will come up with a good one. 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2008, 07:29:32 am »
I think I will wear my frog jammies and my tiger slippers to the party.  We do not need to wear matching stylish jammies do we?  We can put on Jimmy Buffet and the Bee Gees and dance the night away.

Yes, stylish jammies would be great - and very comfy too.  I have a wonderful pair of flannel ones with sock monkeys on them.  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2008, 08:31:13 am »
All sounds great to me!!  I will get the book today!
OMG - LOVE the slumber party idea - I always try to get big girls slumber parties together but it never seems to happen since everyone has to take care of their own kiddies!
Jan~are your sock monkey jammies light blue and from Target??  I think I have the same ones -- I also have the maroon ones w/ groovy Matriska dolls on them!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2008, 11:46:16 am »
Yes, Kaybo, my jammies are light blue and came from Target.  They were a Christmas gift from my sister last year.  She has the ones with the pink flamingos in the trailer park ;D

See, "big kids" can have fun too LOL
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2008, 01:53:55 pm »
OK -- I just got my book at WalMart (I get everything there -- I could make a commercial!!)
Ready to start reading!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kate B

• AN World
Re: ANA Book Club Begins with My Sister's Keeper
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2008, 07:38:40 pm »
Way to go..the Club is underway...

For those of you who don't like to read, many books are available on tape!  Just something to consider.

I am going to post a question to ponder as you read the story. 

My Sister's Keeper

What is your opinion of Sara, the mom? With her life focused on saving Kate, she sometimes neglects her other children. What would you have done in her shoes?  Did you find yourself criticizing Sara, empathizing with her, or both?

Popping the popcorn....All are invited...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:47:08 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2008, 08:48:08 pm »
Being the mother of 4 sons I was very, very upset with her thru out the book.  Sara neglected all of her children.  Its hard to say what I would do in her position.  The thoughts of loosing one of my sons would be the death of me.  As a reader I think I tend to criticize more, but reflecting back on the story and in discussion I empathize more.  I know I sound wisher-washie.  I guess I'm a sitting on the fence here.  A snow covered fence!!!  Lots of snow.  50cm of snow!! 

Here's a question.....why was the father so passive?  I wonder if its because a woman carries the child for nine months and than gives birth.  It has to be the in-uterine bonding.
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kaybo

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2008, 09:12:03 pm »
Wait...wait...wait...give us a little time to read before you start discussing or revealing about characters, please!!   :D
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2008, 09:15:49 pm »
Wait...wait...wait...give us a little time to read before you start discussing or revealing about characters, please!!   :D
K

Okay, let me see if I've gotten this right - never done a book club thing before, so bear with me.

We are all supposed to read the book and think about Kate's first question, but not start giving opinions or responses until 3/30?

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2008, 09:18:45 pm »
Jan~
I kind of agree w/ you -- I thought that Kate's 1st question was just to "ponder as we read..."

Can anyone explain the Skype thing to me?  I just got a webcam for my b-day (still need to hook up) and it says "chat for skype" and I knew it had been mentioned on here too.
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2008, 09:59:53 pm »
K -

thanks for saying you agree with me; I love it when I'm right LOL

Actually I was just asking if I understand things correctly.  I'm not sure that what I said is right.  We may have to wait for Kate or OMG to clarify this.

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2008, 11:29:18 pm »
The question is just for pondering right now:-)

Book Club Discussion opens on 3/30....

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2008, 12:10:17 am »
Thanks for clarifying that Queen Kate  :)

Looks like we'll have some good discussion; as you can see, we are eager to start.

I haven't read the book in a few years and I gave my copy to my mom who loved it so much she decided she wanted to keep it.  Guess I'll be visiting my local library this weekend. 

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2008, 07:28:20 am »
Hey Guys!
Happy Monday!!  ;D
I have been reading away (not as much as I would like) and LOVE IT!!  Can't wait to start discussing on the 30th!!
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!