Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 406046 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:43 am »
Well, K, you're better than I am.

Despite saying I'd check the book out of the library this weekend, I never made it there.  I'm hoping to get there sometime this week in between volleyball games for my son, the start of braces for my daughter, and my appt. with the neurotologist.  Some times there just aren't enough hours in the week  :)

Even though I'm a slower starter in this case, I've read the book before so hopefully I can bring myself up to speed fast enough to join the discussion on the 30th.

I think this is going to be fun   ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2008, 03:55:08 pm »
K,

Surprisingly, it is an easy book to get into! 

Jan,
No worry..There is plenty of time.  How did your appt go on Saturday?

Happy Reading :)

Kate
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:23:12 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2008, 04:22:03 pm »
Do  I have our Book Club Member list correct?   

Jan
Raydean
Yardtick
Kaybo
Cheryl (Matti)
Genny's Mom
Lori 67 ??
Shoegirl
Steve
Don???
Karen???
Kate

Any other readers wanting to join?
The book is My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Piccoult

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:25:28 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

lori67

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2008, 06:41:13 pm »
Ok, well, I was on the fence, but since I'm just about done with the other book I've been reading, I suppose I could make myself read another one.  At first it sounded too much like the homework the nuns used to give us in school, but as long as no one whacks me with a ruler, I guess I won't be too traumatized.  And I'll actually read the book this time - not just the Cliff's notes....gee, I wonder why the nuns got angry...   ???

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jan D

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2008, 07:25:45 pm »

Count me in please.

Thanks,
Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2008, 07:26:13 pm »
Lori -

you'll like the book - it's quite good - I would have picked a different ending, but that's just me and I'm sure we'll be discussing what others think when we get started - so I'd better not give the plot away  ;D

Kate -

appt. on Friday morning went well.  Doc said everything looked like it was healing well despite me pulling off my bandage  :o and then he put it and the cap back on again.  I'm going in Wednesday morning to have it taken off for good and will go from there.  Yeah!!! Thanks for asking.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2008, 07:29:31 pm »

Count me in please.

Thanks,
Jan D

Okay, Kate, I think I was the original "Jan" on your list, but now that there are two of us "Jan's" I can be either Jan B or leapyrtwins.  Or maybe I should be "BAHA Jan" - sounds kind of exotic (oh my)  ;D

Hope this isn't too confusing.

The 2nd Jan
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:42:30 am by leapyrtwins »

sgerrard

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2008, 10:10:22 pm »

Uh, oh, she's taking attendance...do we need a hall pass to visit the restroom?  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

OMG16

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2008, 10:35:54 pm »
I'm here and raising my hand I need to use the restroom every 10 minutes or so.

Jan (leapyrtwins) you are Co Queen Jan.  ;)

I got the book late due to my flu symptoms.  I'm making great progress and can't wait to discuss it.  This should be very interesting and maybe we should assign an unbiased peace keeper or maybe the nuns with the big rulers.  That will make Lori feel right at home.  LOL 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

matti

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2008, 08:20:21 pm »
I don't think I will be able to be a part of this current read, but would love to join in on the next. Oprah's got me busy reading "A New Earth".  Quite the read, lots to process and digest  ???

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kaybo

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2008, 08:40:16 pm »
I haven't been able to read as much in the last 2 days since I am running around like crazy trying to get us all ready to leave Friday for a ski trip.  When we return, my hubby & I leave the next day for Johns Hopkins for my consultation.  I figure I will get to read a LOT in the car going skiing & on the plane (no kids!!)!!

I guess I can be the one to keep everyone in line -- I still tell kids not to run in the halls at my kids' school!!  Don't even go there on public playgrounds and rocks...aaahh!!  Once a teacher, always a teacher!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2008, 09:00:26 pm »
Baha Jan....That'll work.... :)

Steve:  Attendance duly noted ;)

Cheryl:  Let us know how that book turns out..maybe it can be our next read.

Kaybo you have adventures ahead of you this week ;D

I leave tomorrow and am not sure of my internet access. So if I am quiet until the 22nd, you'll understand why.   I have a one night stay in Seattle tomorrow before my 10.5 hour flight on Thursday followed by another 5.5 hour flight. 

I've already put one question out to ponder. Here is another..My Sister's Keeper explores the moral, practical and emotional complications of putting one human being in pain or in danger for the well being of another. Discuss the different kinds of ethical problems that Anna, as the "designer baby," presents in this story? Did your view change as the story progressed? Why or why not?
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2008, 09:37:33 pm »
Bon Voyage, Kate.

Have a safe trip,

Baha Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2008, 04:15:06 pm »
Okay, since Kate is still on her international tour for the next few days, I just wanted to check in with you guys and see how many of you have actually started reading.

I haven't yet, but I did purchase the book - great price at Target and I got there before I could get to the library (still haven't been there in fact).

I hope to start reading this weekend. 

Don't forget, discussion starts on the 30th.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2008, 04:56:23 pm »
I am almost through!!  Since we had travel nightmare trying to get to Baltimore yesterday and then waiting for the Dr. today, I had a lot of time to read!!  I am having the T3 on the 28th so I hope I can "discuss" on the 30th.  How are we going to do that??
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!