Author Topic: preparing for surgery  (Read 8404 times)

marymomof3

preparing for surgery
« on: February 29, 2008, 07:48:16 pm »
Hi.  I'm scheduled for surgery with Drs Roland and Golfinos and NYU on March 19th.  Since March 1st is tomorrow, I'm starting to get a little apprehensive.  Can anyone offer stories about their experience with these surgeons at NYU?
Thanks!
Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

Mickey

Re: preparing for surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 08:16:09 pm »
I am watch and wait. These are the drs. I am using right now. Fortunately I am doing well  and don`t have any real decisions to make as of now.  I do hear that they are tops in NYC. They do have alot of experience and believe AN`s are their speciality. Please stay in touch!  Best to you, Mickey

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:40:15 pm »
How are you doing Mary? You'll be a postie soon! We're pulling for you!

Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

eugd

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 04:47:12 pm »
I think Eve had her first surgery there you may want to PM jersey girl...and see what she says....good luck...
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 06:23:26 pm »
Mary -

just wanted to wish you luck on the 19th, before I forget.

I didn't have my surgery in NYC - had it near Chicago - but I've heard your docs are great.  Hope you have a speedy, uneventful recovery.

Can't wait to welcome you to the land of posties.  As Yvette said, we're pulling for you.

Best of luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:18:22 pm »
Mary,

Got my good thoughts, prayers and pirate sox all ready for the 19th.  I'm sure everything will go fine and you will be a postie sooner than you know. 
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

marymomof3

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 07:29:49 pm »
Thank you all for your good wishes.  I'm starting to freak out!  I spent the enitre day with my family for Palm Sunday and felt like everyone was looking at me with that "pity look" on their faces.  Surgery in a couple of days and I keep thinking - what if the MRI was someone else's and they messed up?  and to top it off, my Drs. changes from Retrosigmoid to Middle Fossa last week and that has me crazed too!!  I was mentally prepared for an insicion behind the ear, but now to have the incision above the ear!!  I can't hide that as well.  And why did they now decide to proceed with Middle Fossa?  All these crazy things keep going around in my head.  I worry that there is an increased chance of facial paralysis with middle fossa.  The Drs tell me not to worry - but that's easy for them to say....
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

oHIo

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 07:50:32 pm »
I feel your anxiety Marymomof3.  My surgery is Thursday.  I still have good hearing and am doing a translab because of the location of my tumor.  I've been secretly hoping (I guess it's not a secret now) that I'll wake up with no hearing before surgery to justify having a translab done.  I've pulled out the MRIs to review them and make sure they are mine, but the vertigo assures me something not normal is in my head.  I think we could drive ourselves crazy trying to second guess. 

Good luck.  Take a deep breath and know we'll be thinking about you. 

marymomof3

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 07:54:31 pm »
And good luck to you.  I guess we just have to take a deep breathe and a leap of faith.  Where are you having the surgery done?

oHIo

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 08:13:39 pm »
University of Cincinnati.  Ohio Also is having her surgery on Friday at the same place.  I figured I had nothing planned for the first day of spring, so I might as well have brain surgery.   ;D

I haven't had a good night's sleep in over a week.  I've questioned everything from the approach to wondering if I really have a tumor.  I've decided yes, and the tumor has grown, but it's almost that same kick in the gut feeling as when I was first diagnosed.  I think knowing the surgery date is near just makes this whole thing and the seriousness of it all real.  It has finally sunk in that I have a brain tumor and am having surgery to remove it.  Denial was pretty easy until now. 

Hang in there. 

elderbirds

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 09:45:33 pm »
marymomof3, OHIO and OHIO ALSO
I will be thinking of you all this week  I am following suit with surgery in two weeks!  I too am starting to freak out and trying to read everything about everything related to this whole experience!  hopefully someone can post a quick note to let us know how things are going|  PM if you get a chance best of luck for a quick and easy recovery>
HOPE

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 10:42:13 pm »
Okay, everyone having surgery in the next few days or weeks, take a deep breath, exhale, relax, and calm down. 

Try not to second guess yourselves, it will only add to your stress.  Your decisions have been made, now it's your job to let your doctors do their jobs. 

I know it's easy for me to say - I'm not currently in your shoes - but 9 months ago I was and I am confident that you will be okay.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you; we are here to support you.

Best wishes to each of you,

Jan 

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marymomof3

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 05:18:24 am »
Thanks Jan - I needed to hear that.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 05:59:42 am »
You're welcome  ;D

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 06:01:29 am »
Wishing you all well...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery