Author Topic: preparing for surgery  (Read 8425 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: preparing for surgery
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 09:50:56 am »
Hi Mary-

I am sorry I wasn't able to reach you by phone before the Big Day this week - but I hope that you will be out of NICU today and well enough to go home Saturday or Sunday.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.  I know you have great docs - they're doing my surgery in April!

hugs and mega-good-karma,
Deb
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 10:48:09 am »
Mary -

by my calculations, you are now an official postie.  APPLAUSE !!!

Can't wait to hear from you; hoping everything went well.

Keeping you in my prayers,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jtd71465

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 12:01:53 pm »
Mary-

I look forward to receiving an email about your surgery and recovery.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

OMG16

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 11:56:21 am »
I hope that you are on your way home and doing well.  Kisses to your forehead.  :-*  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

LADavid

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 04:38:07 pm »
Hi Mary,
Looking very forward this week to hearing about your successful surgery and your quick recovery.  Please remember that as you deal with some of the recovery issues, you have a great source of information here and a very caring support group.  It has been an incredible group for me.

Best wishes.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

marymomof3

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 04:49:45 am »
Hi everyone!!!!  I'm back.  Feeling better this morning.  Man was it a rough week!!!  First of all....  I can not begin to thank everyone here who have supported me through this.  It made such a tremendous difference to me.  I keep reminding myself that I know I can get through this.

Of course I don't feel my normal self - but the doctors removed the tumor, preserved hearing and messed around with my facial nerve - but tell me it's temporary.  So I take a deep breathe as I write this and sooo grateful that I've made it to the other side with what I consider a normal life.  I am anxious though for my first MRI to follow up and get proof that they haven't lied to me.  ha ha ha!!  Never thought I'd look forward to getting an MRI before.

So, I'm here - and eternally grateful to all of you - my new friends.
Mary  :)
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 07:03:33 am »
Good to see you in the land of the posties...

speedy continued recovery
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

jerseygirl

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 07:07:47 am »
Mary,

Wish you a smoth and fast recovery! It does get better so hang in there!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 07:11:26 am »
Hi Mary-

I am thrilled that you are now officially "on the other side" and can't wait to join you as a postie.  Only one week out of surgery and you're already at the computer - you're my hero!!

I decided to place myself in the hands of Drs Golfinos and Roland, too, so am especially glad to hear that they took good care of you. 

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers - keep us/me posted on your recovery.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 07:18:48 am »
Mary -

congratulations on your postie status!  I'm so glad things turned out well for you - and hearing preserved, too!

Best wishes for your continued recovery,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 07:36:47 am »
Mary~
Glad things went well and you are doing good!!  Continued good thoughts & prayers for a speedy recovery!  Remember that some days are better than others and it is OK to have a not so good day thrown in there!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 09:42:51 am »
mary,

congrats on postie-hood!!!!!! Onward and upward to continued wellness!!!!!!!!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 12:52:34 pm »
Yay for Mary!  You made it!! What great news!

I'm sure it was a rough week for you - but I hope they only get better from here on out!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Denisex2boys

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 07:37:04 am »
Mary - so GLAD to see you!  I am glad you are doing well and that they were able to preserve your hearing :)  Here is too a continued speedy recovery :)  When you can .... give us details of your surgery and hospital stay - ((((HUGS)))).
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

OMG16

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 10:01:27 am »
I am so glad to hear you are doing well.  That is just wonderful news!  Get lots of rest and I hope you have your own personal pillow fluffer.  Kisses to your forehead.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.