Author Topic: Eye Lubricant  (Read 10843 times)

LADavid

Eye Lubricant
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:38:35 am »
Hi All
I've noticed a lot of you have referred to eye lubricants.  From your experience, what seems to be the best?  I've been using Refresh Celluvisc once or twice a day with a contact on my cornea.  It keeps my eye comfortable but my vision is blurry and the stuff is expensive without a prescription.  Is there anything that seems to work for you that is a little less pricey?  Maybe a generic.
Thanks
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lori67

Re: Eye Lubricant
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:55:23 am »
Hi David.  I found the Celluvisc to make things cloudy too and be expensive!  We should all buy stock in the eye drop factories!

I like the Refresh Liquigel the best, but I don't need to use much during the day.  At night I use Lacrilube.  I have found that the Refresh products are a little cheaper at Sam's club or places like that.  Also, a lot of the stores have their own brand that is the same as the name brand.  I spent about an hour in the supermarket one day just reading the labels and found some of the store brands were exactly the same as the more expensive ones.  We have Kroger and Walgreen's out here, not sure what you have there, but I'm sure they'd have something.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 11:38:18 am »
I liked Celluvisc .. but it was a bit pricey  :o

Lacri lube was the best.. but its you can't see a darn thing . and its pricey too ! .. I found a generic lube at Target.. $6 .. instead of the 20$ .. I still use it at night ..

I never did use Refresh Liq ... but many people have and all really liked it.. its worth a try...

today I can get by with a nightly gooping at night !! .. (2+ years) .. but I still dont leave home without a Systane bottle just in case.. (cause long trips driving and dusty areas are hard on the eyes)

as I get older I'm beginning to understand why my wifes purse weights in at 20 pounds ... between eye drops and extra baha batteries and holder .. it seens I can't leave the house without pockets full of something....   ::)  ::)

ps... If your using an electric shaver... stop ..  I found the little bits of hair where getting in my eye....  or if your eye is feeling extra bad.. take a close look in the mirror .. I can't tell you how many times I found a little tiny eye lash stuck on my eye ..  and after taking it out.. I felt much better!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:46:15 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:52:14 am »
Hi David~
I had a LOT of problems with my eye after surgery (I finally had to have it sewn shut for 3 months!) but now I am problem-free!!  I used Refresh PM all the time until I finally had a gold weight put in a couple of years ago, but would still have fairly frequent scratched corneas.  Now that I have the weight, I hardly ever have the scratches.  I still use the Refresh PM, but only at night.  I use 1 drop of Systane in the morning after my shower.  It is VERY windy here the majority of the time and so that is why I use so much and sometimes have to use a little more. 
Now why do you wear a contact?  To correct vision in that eye?  I was under the impression you couldn't wear a contact in that eye...I would really like to know about that!!  :o)  The Refresh PM does REALLY distort your vision -- probably why they only recommend it for night!!! 
I do have a VERY interesting story about when I got my weight and how my vision MIRACULOUSLY was better, if anyone wants to hear!!
Happy Valentine's Day!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:25:22 pm »
Hi there David:  I use Refresh PM lubricant exclusively - I use it about every 2-3 hours until I go to sleep - it's the only one I found soothing enough.
                      My vision is real blurry from it, but I've learned to live with it.
                      For sleep I use an eye bubble/moisture chamber every night.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:42:26 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:22:40 pm »
Thank you everyone for your input.  I think I need to do some lable reading on the generics.  And K, as far as the contact --it's a clear one place on my cornea by the opthomologist that works in coordination with the House Clinic.  Is this not a good thing?  Does anyone else know?  It was very irritating at first but it seems to hold the gel in place.  And K, yes I would like to know about your eye surgery.  I'm discussing the possibility of me having it with the eye doctor next week.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 08:37:04 pm »
David~
I am sure the contact is a good thing -- so much has changed since I had my surgery, but I thought that if it was to improve your vision, I needed to know about it!! I will write out the whole eye story tomorrow (when I am not as tired) -- it is not bad or anything -- I would recommend the surgery to anyone -- it is just a really wierd, but neat story!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 07:25:10 pm »
Just an FYI folks:  I just got my tax info ready for the appt. with my acct. tomorrow.

COST OF EYE LUBRICANT FOR 2007: $206.79      Money well spent I'd say!

ps:  I'm sure I spent more though - these were just the receipts I remembered to save!!!
Refresh PM costs $9.49 per tube, & I know I go thru more than 2/month, so, do the math!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:32:33 pm by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 10:34:31 pm »
Wow!  I never even thought about all that stuff & taxes!!  What can I say...dumb blonde or what??   :D
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 09:57:23 am »
I don't know whether this applies to CVS stores nationally, but at least here in Southern California, Refresh products are on sale (with a CVS card) for $10.99 this week.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 10:07:37 am »
David~
You got your picture!!!  I can't find an image that I think will be good.  OK, since you said you are an actor, I've been waiting to see if I recognize you, but it's too small...so are you famous??  You are here anyway for what all you have been thru!!  We're all stars!!   :D
I meant to write that, that CVS has Refresh on sale sometimes now -- used to NEVER find it on sale!!
K
PS I will try to write the eye story later today after my daughter's basketball game -- it is cold and dreary here, so I'll have time later, i hope...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:09:54 am by Kaybo »
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 11:34:22 am »
WOW - things are more expensive in LA, even with a sale!

David, I hadn't heard of using a contact lens to keep the gel/lubricant in.  I have an appt. Monday, 2/18 with my opthalmologist -
I'm going to ask him about this - maybe for some reason I'm not a candidate?  Sounds like something that would
help if it keeps the gel only on the cornea & not all over the eyeball, eyelashes, etc.....

Thanks for the info.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Jill Marie

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 12:23:29 pm »
Just have to put my 2 cents in on this topic, should be finishing the laundry but that can wait.  I use a generic eye lubricant called Puralube, I get it at Value Rite stores, the stores have different names but they carry Value Rite products.  The ointment is only $3.63 a tube thankfully has I use it about every 15 minutes.  I go through at least a tube a day.  Tax wise about $1500 a year, never have claimed it don't think our total medical expenses are high enough.  Back to work, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 12:40:10 pm »
K -- yes we are the stars.  There are many here in the acting business who couldn't hold a candle to the determination and the courage of people on this board.  As far as being famous -- I think you could categorize me more as being familiar.  It's funny -- I get more calls and emails from friends about an episode I did on Reba where I played a minister and Reba collaspsed.  More recently I played the President on Airforce One in Transformers.  You see my red socks more than you see me -- I say "kin you git me a Dingdong?"  And you might remember this -- there was a print ad last fall for Cavemen showing the evolutionary progression with the Cavemen being at the top.  I'm the businessman grabbing my briefcase -- second from the bottom.  Basically, I'm a working actor -- not one of the rich ones.  And to keep the money coming in -- I do stand-in work.  I'm Jack Nicholson's stand-in -- whenever he works.

And Nancyann, I don't know what to say about the contact.  When I was still in the hospital, the opthomologist put the contact in my eye.  It's clear -- well it is without all the gel -- and it's there to protect the cornea.  Since I didn't wear contacts before, it was hard getting adjusted to it.  But I guess it helps -- I don't have anything to compare it to.  I do know that when I'm awake, the gel seems to be fairly concentrated around the contact.

Have a great weekend!
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 12:46:18 pm »
There are many here in the acting business who couldn't hold a candle to the determination and the courage of people on this board.  

David, no truer words spoken... and remember, you are one of them, as well :)

Continued wellness to you,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"