Author Topic: Wax on, wax off...which one are you?  (Read 9660 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Wax on, wax off...which one are you?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 10:34:50 am »
I do believe this is the most interesting discussion ever produced on this forum!

The Great Ear Wax Debate of 2007

Hmmmmm........

I use the q-tips like squeegees to get the water and whatever else comes with it outta my ears post-shower. A little wax, a little sea water, some sand, a few starfish.....

No! Just kidding!!!!

I haven't noticed any increase or decrease in the amount of wax or anything else in my AN ear. I am really careful with the AN ear beacuse I can't really tell how far I'm poking the thing into my ear because there is no sound, which acts like an early warning system. I can't imagine how nasty anyone's ears would be if they didn't clean them out with something occasionally. Eewwww. I just never use a dry q-tip in a dry ear. If one feels particularly itchy, I'll use a little baby oil on the q-tip.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 12:20:34 pm »
Lori wrote

"Geez, you can't do much else with a q-tip!"
Well if you are lucky enough to have facial palsy this is what you do…

You get breath right strips to hold the paralyzed nostril open at night so you can breath without being an addict and having to go to AA meetings (Afrin Anonymous  :D ) … and then you get out the box of Q-tips. Dip one Q-tip in petroleum Jelly and swab the inside of your nose so it won’t dry out during the night.

I tell you buy stock in Q-tips … one day you will be rich! LOL  :D

Now lets see what sort of "visual" our Capt Deb will come up with...  ;) ;D

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 06:34:18 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 04:02:02 pm »
It scares me to think about the visual on that one!  Talk about "eeeewwww". :P
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

danijake

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 04:46:50 pm »
No wax on the AN side, but it does feel like I can "poke a hole in my brain" if I keep going.

Lorenzo

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 11:37:40 am »
reading all this made my ear go itch-nuts. so now i ran out of q-tips. need to go get some more. buying share in Johnson&Johnson might indeed be a good idea!

:)

Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 12:41:42 pm »
Close captain, I think the post treatment poo discussion was pretty good, and actually VERY informative!!!!!

No visuals on that one please!   ;)
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

lori67

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 01:00:53 pm »
Oh, I'm sooooo glad i missed that one.   :P
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 02:00:03 pm »
Actually, it's very useful to think about how to when you have a hole in your head, can't have any intracranial pressure, and the pain meds are backing you up.  Good to fix from the get go than have to suffer or start a leak or something.  A valid concern, unlike ear wax!   ;D

Lorenzo

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 10:53:55 am »
poo discussion?? I missed that one! where?

:)

Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 11:16:14 am »
Lorenzo,

I was still out-of-state in my post op recovery stay and that percocet (sp?) pain med was my real back-er-upper problem.

I came across this thread … and found the remedies suggested most helpful and moving LOL  :D ;)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1149.0

Keep moving forward!

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 05:55:53 pm »
there it is!  That's the one!!!!

OMG16

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 06:39:10 pm »
More wax for sure in both ears.  Interesting very interesting.  I thought this post was about cars and the physical disabilties some have.  Imagine my surprise when I finally read this thread.  We could have used the other post long before now.  Thanks for including the link to it.   
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

badkins

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 10:36:40 pm »
I candle waxed my AN ear for the first time like 6 months ago. I thought some of the packing they used melted and came out in my ear. For those who have never tried this, Go to a health store and get natural bees candle ear wax. OMG Are you going to be surprised , just try it!!! Not by yourself though you could catch fire.

Beth
18x18x19mm an rs 1-10-06
Translab approach
Gamma knife 9-29-06 UVA
25% regrowth 1st follow-up
Life has been good to me :-)

candtlaw

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 09:05:24 pm »
put me in the more wax in both ears category! lol................. that pic is HILARIOUS :) lol........
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

OMG16

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 09:23:08 pm »
Beth if you can talk my son into it I would give it a try.  I think that he will just think I have lost it and want nothing to do with it.  Thank you for the info.   16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.