Author Topic: 3 weeks post op and I feel like whining  (Read 5962 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: 3 weeks post op and I feel like whining
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 07:51:30 am »
Hi Sole:  I echo what everyone is saying:  3 weeks isn't a long time at all - at 3 weeks I was waiting for a gold eye weight (put in at 4 weeks).   I couldn't begin to think about going back to work - that didn't occur for 2 months post op & then it was part time for 2 weeks.   Your body still needs lots of rest, time to heal from all the trauma, rewire the brain for balance.....
I'm so sorry you're having such a bad time with your eye - abrasions are very painful  - I just went thru it 1 1/2 weeks ago - keep putting in the lubricant very often (I was putting in eye ointment every 3-4 hours when my eye didn't blink - I found Refresh PM worked the best for me,  you'll find which brand works best for you).
If you don't get your 'blink' back soon & don't get an eye weight put in,  there's a company called Medtronic who make a moisture bubble for use at night called The Dry Eye Comforter eye bandages.  14 nonsterile per box for $28.00 (incl. shipping).  Their tel # is: 1-800-535-4646.  They were very helpful.   I used them for the 8 months my eye weight was removed & I was waiting for the platinum weight to be put in.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 09:29:30 am »
Hi Judy.  I think the tear duct plug will help you a lot.  I had done a lot of damage to my cornea too, right after the surgery, but after my eye surgery, I haven't had any problems since.  I am always amazed that my eye hurt more than having my head cut open, but the eye doctor said there are a lot more nerve endings in your eye, that's why it hurts so much.  Makes sense.

Did you ever get the e-mail I sent you?  My computer was apparently on strike the other day and was not cooperating with anything I tried to do!

Take care!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

bpham

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 12:33:31 pm »
Hang in there.

I'm 9 week post-op.  I did not see any significant improvement until the 8th week.  At the 8th week, I took a trip to Asia for 2 weeks (the plane ride concerned me since it was a 16 hour trip with one stop and then another 2 hour trip, but no issue at all...).  The vacation trip was a great help since when I was there, I did not remember my surgery and just enjoyed the sceneries and the vacation.

Now I'm back working and I do not pay attention too much to some of the minor issue (some slight balance issue...).  I'm used to my one sided hearing now and it does not bother me much anymore.

I recommend that from now until you'll feel comfortable:

1.  wear earplug everywhere you go if the noise bothers you.
2.  Use eye drop every few hours.
3.  Try to take a walk for about 30 minutes everyday.

Eventually everything will be ok soon.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Hip

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 12:54:19 pm »
Things will definitely get bettter for you.  I had my surgery in August 2007 and I still have some facial parlaysis on my left side (my mouth still droops & my left eye still can't blink).  I am 100% deaf in the left ear and chances for recovery are slim.  I will probably have a bone-anchored hearing aid installed after my consultation with my ENT surgeon this coming April.  To regain your balance, you'd need to find a PT who specializes in vestibular problems.  I gained my balance back after 3 months (20 sessions with the PT on land & in the pool, and inumerous times doing the exercises by myself at home.  The hardest ones for me are doing the bunny hop and walking in a straight line with my eyes closed.

Hang in there since things will get better.  By the way, if you have emotional problems (anger, depression, opinionated, etc) do not feel bad.  A lot of us AN patients have had those issues, myself included.  Just hang in there and talk to support groups either on-line or by attending meetings of a local AN Support Group. 

Hip