Author Topic: Survey for translabers  (Read 3250 times)

Yvette

• Yvette
Survey for translabers
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:07:28 pm »
Hi fellow translabs. Fullness in the ear and head tightness..how long before it went away completely and forever?
Love you all, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Survey for translabers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 06:32:07 am »
It has been 28 months and I haven't lost it yet.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

satman

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 07:57:33 am »
I'm still dealing with it.
surgery was april/07 ,so I guess 7 months now.
But most of the time I dont realize it,pre-occupied I guess
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:44:23 am »
36 months and still have it.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 11:02:41 am »
I've never noticed fullness in my head or ear.  I had some neck and head pains for a few months post op.  Never think about it.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:31:27 pm »
For the first 4 or so months, it felt like someone packed that side of my head tight with surgical gauze.  It's not like that now, but I do notice a tightness that wasn't there before.  Most comes from the weird tightness/hypertonus that I have/had in my face from that whole part of it. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 02:29:46 pm »
Thank you for the responses! Keep 'em coming:-)
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 10:59:29 pm »
Never had the ear fullness, but for a few weeks after surgery I told my husband I felt like they had taken a tuck in my head when they stapled/sewed it back together because it felt tight - like the skin wasn't big enough anymore.  Maybe it was from some swelling or the weird numbness I had, but it feels like it's the right size again.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Rc Moser

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 07:34:06 pm »
52 months post-opt. still have numbness, some dizzy spells, Buzzing or rushing in the an ear where there is no ear. Headaches, less migraine's. and wondering aches and pain. Not too much fullness unless I blow my nose too hard or have a really big sneeze. 

On the bright side my eye working pretty good now and I have no droop, but no lift and you hae to look really close to notice any sag on my an side. able to work 85% to 90% of the time with only a few bad days in a month ( bad meaning Total bed rest with no noise or light till the migraine passes.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Jeanlea

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 09:27:29 pm »
I never had any fullness feeling in my ear.  I'm not sure about the tightness.  I have no feeling on my AN side along with facial paralysis.  It feels like my face and side of my head has pressure on it on that side. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

danijake

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 07:35:49 am »
I am only 4 months post op - Tumor was on the left side, not very big, but ice cream cone shaped and pressing on my brain stem. I went with the translab approach. The headaches started as soon as I was off the pain meds. They aren't migraines, cluster or tension headaches. They are unlike any headache imaginable. I wake up all hours with my heartbeat in my head and muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. It's a struggle to sit up and take my ibuprofen. I am trying to go back to work, but I am deaf in my left ear and the noise of the A/C blower and people talking just overwhelms me and I have a...HEADACHE! I feel defeated even though the surgery was a success and I am happy to be alive to raise my son.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 07:47:21 am by danijake »

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 11:23:43 pm »
Sounds like an ongoing trial with varying degrees. Thank you for everyone's responses. I am 11 months post op, and it has slowly gotten better. As many others have expressed, it does get worse when fatigued or during/after exercize. Glad yours is back to the "right size" Lori:-)

Danijake-I had the heartbeat in my head for a while too, but it goes away. Audio and visual stimuli need to be kept to a minimum for you right now-that also got better over time with me-hang in there!

Yvette

Top Op Man

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 02:02:44 am »
Im 30 months post op and get no fullness. I do get intermittent head pain both at scar and just in front of ear.
When it starts does make me feel weird, not sure why? It feels a bit like scar contracture but not sure. Thankfully
doesnt last long.
Gary
2.5 cm AN left ear Dec 04 age 34
Removed Axon and Macfarlane, Addenbrookes Skull Base Unit
Cambridge, UK
Translab April 05

bpham

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 11:05:44 am »
Surgery was done in Oct 8 2007.  Currently no fullness feeling anymore.  I had it during the first 6 weeks.  The discomfort around the mastoid bone where, I believe the opening was made, seems to be a little more now than few weeks ago when I lay down on the pillow to sleep, on that side.  The tightness feeling is pronounced when I just wake up, espcially when I try to open my mouth widely like yarning. However, when I wake up, it seems to be almost normal.  Yes, sometimes it does feel like the skin is too tight around that area.

1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

neal r. lyons

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 02:18:55 pm »
Hello Yvette.  I did not experience the fullness of the ear to my recollection although I  seem to have a sense of what it is.

Tightness for me is centered on the face extending from below eye to chin.  Had some head pangs as incision was healing but perceive litlle or no head tightness.

Neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist