Author Topic: Drunken Sailors in the Wind?  (Read 26486 times)

er

Re: Drunken Sailors in the Wind?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 12:51:31 pm »

Lorie67
Ask your husband to be a gentle man and have him walk with you so you can hold on to him. We all like to look pretty.
When I am in environment with a lot of people or the acoustics are bad I hold on to him or a friend. Or take it @ a very slow pace
  I do get a little frighten to wear a small pump but I do.
eve

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 02:13:46 pm »
For the ANA symposium semi formal I found flats that were very glitzy with rhinstones and such. If ya can't have height ya might as well have BLING!!!!!
I also painted my toenails red for portside and green for starboardside. Batty has the picture to prove it!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 02:47:04 pm »
Captain Deb,

You are SO  :) wonderfully wildly funny and creative!  :D

Cheers mate,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 10:07:08 am »

AAAARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! Let's all walk like this!

Capt Deb 8)

jerseygirl

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 10:17:58 am »
Capt Deb,

Love it! This brought a huge smile to my face (thank God I can smile evenly). Sometimes , when I am tired, I still walk like this! I walked like this for a long time after the second surgery!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

lori67

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 10:21:42 am »
Deb, sounds like a good plan!  Can I have the sword instead of the hook?  Wouldn't want to accidently poke myself in the eye I can't close.   ;)

Jerseygirl - I grew up in Jersey too.  Where are you from?  Don't worry, I won't ask "what exit?" because I don't think that's a funny joke!  I grew up in Ringwood - North Jersey.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 10:47:23 am »
 :D :D :D

Captain Deb,

You are a total scream! ;)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

marg

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 11:47:55 pm »
Hey... Captain Deb,
I saw the game LIFE  with Pirate  stuff (instead of the regular jobs)  yesterday ... made me think of you   :o..... what fun we could all have with that !
Margaret
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 11:49:35 pm by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 06:54:38 pm »
I was informed they have a Pirates of The Caribbeans Monopoly out too...
probably at Disney Store

I kinda walk like a penguin in the dark... in the house it isn't bad but
outside can be tricky ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 09:41:09 pm »
For the last 3 months since surgery I have pretty much stayed close to home just doing short daytime trips to the store, doctor or to collect kids from school.

I am always home before dark (unlike when I was a teenager  :D) so  Ihave not paid much attention to walking out in the dark. This evening we had the family in town to do some holiday shopping. My husband drove home in the dark and I sure felt tired just looking at the road. We live in the country so no street lights on the way home. Once I got out of the car , in the dark, I could absolutely not walk straight and my youngest,a  3rd grader, had to help her staggering mother to the door.

If we had any neighbors close enough to see (such as living in the suburbs as we once did) I am sure word would have spread that her mother was a “real drinker� (still have not had any alcohol since my AN surgery).

I never quite figured out the “staggering in the dark� you-all had mentioned until tonight, Wowzers… does it get better?

Maybe I should just have a rum and eggnog –it could actually help LOL

Cheers,

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 06:51:03 pm »
They make these itty bitty camping flashlights that can hook onto a keychain--mine's about 3 inches long and is extremely powerful and was about $20.00. I bought it at an outdoor outfitter type place.

Capt Deb

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 11:33:35 am »
I have a camping headlight that is light weight with tiny LED light... I
use it when I can find it ... the kids like it

I have discovered something to make me walk or rather stagger like a
drunken sailor... rode in Christmas parade yesterday... 6 miles on an open
sided trailer with pavement whizzing (not that 5 mph is really whizzing) by
made my head spin ... I held my hands cupped at side of eyes like horse
blinders a good part of the time ... driving or riding in a closed vehicle is
fine but the pavement rushing by did a number on me ...

when I got of the thing I gave everyone a good Foster Brooks inpersonation...and
they were very amused ...   it didn't  make me head achy but made me really tired...
got home around 5 fell in bed at 5:30 and except my husband waking me to ask if I
was gonna sleep in my clothes around 10 , I slept thru til about 5:30 this morning

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

lori67

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 12:50:06 pm »
I also would not recommend riding on a merry-go-round.  Whoa... who knew those things went so fast?????  You know it's bad when you have to rely on your 5 year old to get you safely off the ride and to the rest of my family that was seated on a non-spinning bench - laughing at the whole thing.  Ah, family ... what would we do without them?   ???
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

er

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 01:49:41 pm »
I myself would like to know how long the balamce issue last. I am tired of going into place and having to hold on to things or person to stay stead. I also get tired of being asked if I am ok.
eve

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 02:49:18 pm »
The balance issue differs greatly from person to person and depends on a huge number of facts which include tumor size and how much compensation had already occurred prior to surgery. Balance has to be in part, forced to recompensate for that lost balance nerve. The key is to work at it. Walk, walk, walk if you can.  It will only come back so far on it's own. The rest you have to work at. Eye excercises with playing cards were great for me when I couldn't walk due to the headaches. The other day I stood on a padded barstool and changed a lightbulb in my studio which has a vaulted ceiling. Believe me it does get better!

Capt Deb