Author Topic: Drunken Sailors in the Wind?  (Read 26418 times)

marg

Re: Drunken Sailors in the Wind?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 11:11:01 pm »
Wow ! Brave Capt. Deb.  You give great hope to those of us further behind in the recovery experience.  Thanks,
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 09:59:13 am »
Wow ...padded stool ...  I stood on a solod bottom chair to get something out of a shelf the other day
and thought I was a goner... I do things I know will make me wobbly as the doctor said same thing as
Deb... you have to work at it and make the balance come back... but don't push it with something that
could be dangerous...

I have my kitchen cabinets dropped down from ceiling and have cookie jars ,some
antique toys  and other collectables along the tops...I usually walk along counter to dust them and they are
looking grubby... husband to big to do it and the two girls not big enough... so that is a goal of mine... get
enough balacne to get up there and dust.. but it is in the future...

What bothers me more than balance is fatique... coming in and sleeping near 12 hours is a bit much and
things that need doing don't get done ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

dsuvb12

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 12:31:48 pm »
This topic is hilarious b/c this is exactly what my brother told me I looked like walking!  Thankfully after 5 months I'm finally getting my gait back!
4.6cmm tumor pressing on the brain stem--removed 7/24/07
Right facial paralysis, loss of hearing in right ear
Gold weight in right eye
BAHA Implant
Dr. Gary Moore was ENT and Dr. Long was neurosurgeon both of Omaha, NE
Had two scar revisions due to staph infection and suture allergy--Dr. Johnso

danijake

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2007, 02:07:33 pm »
 I tried to ride my son's new bike to the car and almost ran into a curb, a car, another car and I almost face-planted off the darn thing!!! No riding bikes for me :'(
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:15:03 pm by danijake »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2007, 02:20:50 pm »
well, between my zapped AN and my chiari 1... I walk into walks, bruise the walls, then apologize to the walls for my warbly-walk. Go figure! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 06:17:29 pm »
Yea, Brave me!

Today I went to Lowe's and bought me a nice sturdy stepstool that locks in place with a big platform to stand on. No need to tempt fate!

Capt deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 09:39:17 pm »
Talk about about a drunken sailor.....you gotta see me walking up here in the great white north with all of this snow.  There's snow banks on the the side of the road.....snow banks on the edge of the lawns and Anne Marie walking down the middle of the sidewalk try to walk straight....yeah right!!!
I look funnier than H E  double hockey sticks ;D
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2007, 09:43:07 pm »
Oh I miss the snow ... sigh... :-\

When will it ever stop raining in Oregon???

Pining for Canada ... ho ho ho... hum

4 ;)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2007, 07:31:23 am »
Went for MRI Wednesday and it came back good ... do have hearing loss in good
ear... it is puffy inside so he thinks it is just a loss due to blockage and gave me
stronger steroids ...

I had my grown son go with me to watch the  8 and 10 year old ... when I was done they
wanted to go over to Centennial Park and walk the loop around it... walking on the flat part
with the rippling water in peripheral vision was rough... too much movement

when we got to far side of lake where the paved path is sloped a little toward lake to let  rain
water go in lake not make puddles it got funny... I wobbled ... grabbed at plants ...had to get one
of the girls to walk near me to have a shoulder to hold ...

at this point I was about half a mile into the loop that is a mile long circle around the lake... every
time I passed a mark that told me how far was left I thanked God it was drawing to an end... the
slant and water movement was tooooooo much... my 27 year old thought it was halarious...he even
shook me by shoulder a few times til I threatened to leave him in Nashville with a 100 mile walk home
and I  got many looks from people and they would stop and side step around me  ... especially got looks
from the park security guy... when I got back to my truck I almost hugged it but figured that was a sure
way to get checked for public drunk...

During ordeal I was thinking I needed an eye patch and my pirate hat... did have a pigeon on my shoulder
for a little bit... I guess he was trying to help me by impersonating a parrot

I am going to get me a walking stick... have resisted but there have been a time or two I
have really needed one...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Static

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 08:55:26 am »
My balance seemed to level off pretty well after the therapy but since then it has gone down hill and I fell a few times and have been stumbling alot.  I spoke with my neuro about it and he says that I need to do those stupid balance exercises every day, probably forever, to maintain my balance.  I figured that since I had been doing pretty good, I would be okay, but he told me that I needed to keep up with it every day.  Ugh, I really am a slacker when it comes to that stuff.  I'll be, wow, I'll be 4 years out this January!   I think I'll have a few Mojitos for Christmas and New Years so I can really be a drunken sailor!  ;D
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

DistressedDB

• Deb's site
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 11:00:00 am »
I frequently have that "head disconnected" feeling, and the feeling like I just got off a roller coaster.  Worse case of Vertigo happened recently...I got up and tried to get ready for work.  I showered...but it was a challenge - had to hold onto the soap dish.  Went to get dressed and couldn't seem to get my pants on right or to put my arms through the arm holes... Finally figured out I couldn't drive (Duhhh!) and tried to work from home.  I had one thing I couldn't change - a conference call with a major client - I explained to him I was experiencing Vertigo so if I sounded a bit "loopy" he'd understand why...he was a jerk about it and in a very snide voice made the comment of "well thanks for sharing that with us".  The deal never materialized...but that's ok...he was a huge Yankees fan...I'm a die-hard Red Sox Fan!

I've decided I'm glad I like roller coasters...I live perpetually in an after bliss state!

Happy 2008 Everyone!
1.5cm X .09 cm - CyberKnife November 2005
April MRI shows small growth of 1.5 cm X 1.0 cm

jerseygirl

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 12:10:01 pm »
Hi,

I am still in recovery mode and find that if I miss exercise even for two days, I pay for it dearly. My balance and movement coordiantion go back in time as if it were a month ago. I regain both in a matter of days when  I am back on my exercise program but it is hard to be perfect! Sometimes, I feel that I pay for only being human.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

marg

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 05:44:40 pm »
Hi Distressed DB,
    I had my husband put a grab bar in the shower for me before I had my surgery.  It was a pride thing and I didn't want to do it - but I decided that safety was more important than pride ( I had to say that to myself because I'd had to talk my dad into a grab bar for his shower).  I don't need it all the time but once in a while I have needed it and I know I can rely on it holding me up much better than a soap dish would be able to  :D.  Maybe some kind person can put one up for you.  Believe it or not it is an added plus when selling ...weird huh  ::) .
marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

dsuvb12

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2008, 09:15:03 am »
I agree with you about the grab bar thing.  I had the idea that I was going to recover faster than what I thought and when I got home from the hospital my parents had one put in.  When I got to the stage that I could shower by myself I don't think I could of done it with out that grab bar!
4.6cmm tumor pressing on the brain stem--removed 7/24/07
Right facial paralysis, loss of hearing in right ear
Gold weight in right eye
BAHA Implant
Dr. Gary Moore was ENT and Dr. Long was neurosurgeon both of Omaha, NE
Had two scar revisions due to staph infection and suture allergy--Dr. Johnso

lori67

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 09:55:52 am »
I swallowed my pride and got a shower bench.  I have a separate shower stall in my bathroom - trying to shave my legs while standing on one foot like a wobbly flamingo was not easy.  Okay, maybe you men can't sympathize with that.. but you can imagine how difficult that would be.  :o
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.