Author Topic: Drunken Sailors in the Wind?  (Read 26416 times)

DistressedDB

• Deb's site
Re: Drunken Sailors in the Wind?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:38 am »
Pride could take a  big hit here for me if I have to install the shower bar...I turn 50 in 19 days...it's bad enough I'm struggling with that hurdle...  Glad to hear it's a selling feature...I may put the house on the market next year and do a "downsize" now that my son is off in college...

I'm thinking there may be a better option...is it possible to find a good single guy who could double as a shower bar?!?!?  Heeheehee  ;D
1.5cm X .09 cm - CyberKnife November 2005
April MRI shows small growth of 1.5 cm X 1.0 cm

lori67

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 12:05:45 pm »
You could always say you put the shower grab bar in as a selling feature for when you put the house on the market - not for your own personal use, of course...   ;)

I do like your other option though...  not sure if you can buy single men at the medical supply store.. and I'm sure you can't write it off as a medical expense on your taxes.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2008, 03:05:12 pm »
I frequently have that "head disconnected" feeling, and the feeling like I just got off a roller coaster. 

Girl! You got WONKYHEAD! That's what we call it around here. No other word really describes it quite like wonkyhead.
WONKYHEADS UNITE!is our motto!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2008, 08:03:59 pm »
Hi There, fellow Wonky head sufferer here,  Like the good Cap'n Deb said, best word to describes it. 

However, lets not forget BALLOON HEAD, and FISHBOWL HEAD, not to be confused with Wonky Head, but certainly good descriptions as well.  LOL   You know that sinus med comercial where the woman blows her nose, and as she does, her head blows up like a balloon........  we know that feeling,  especially with barometric changes.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

marg

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2008, 09:35:14 am »
My worst time with the WONKYHEAD feeling is when I am tryinig to do more than 3 things at a time for extended periods....oh  .... I guess that would describe me at the end of many school days after working with my 24 kiddo's , teachers and parents..... especially when several last minute 'changes' happen.... that I am not informed of.... My schedule and people I work with was changed 5 times in the last 4 school days ..... and that makes me WONKYHEADED..... I was SO glad there was no school yesterday because of ice..... I got a chance to think about only one thing at a time  :D  I'm ready to go back with a 'clear head'...well at least until noon .
Marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2008, 11:41:40 am »
I am Wonkyheaded so much of the time it has gotten to feel normal...found out not to lean
forward to wrap a towel turban style around head... stood back up ,staggered back wards and
hit wall... glad for wall...had it not stopped me I would have been belly up in floor and it
probably would have hurt...

as for balloon head woman on TV... I have felt like that to the point I have looked in mirror to
see if I looked different

I am still doing my funny rocking to tip toes and back down on flat feet dance move... feels like my
head is moving to the front then back instead of the normal spin and I will got to take a step and
do the rocking thing a time or two before getting all body parts working together... people that
know me still watch out for me but don't freak out anymore ... and knock wood haven't went to ground...
I manage that by keeping close to walls ,furniture and other people...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

marg

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2008, 08:40:27 pm »
Soundy,
  I too am grateful for walls.  I knew there was a reason they were there besides to hold pictures.  :D
marg
Marg 
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

WHWT

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2008, 05:54:45 pm »
Wind, darkness, noises (especially amplified sounds and machinery), uneven terrain, and carrying heavy things all give me balance problems.  I've learned to cope by holding onto things and people.  I also walk like a toddler, with my feet apart, and my arms out.....It's pretty comical, but it helps.
Retrosigmoid suboccipital surgery for 1.3 cm AN in 2005.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2008, 11:25:58 pm »
WHWT... all those bother me and getting from truck to steps the other night in semi darkness
with wild wind blowing had my family in fits of laughter...

someone thought a wild front yard
with fair size rocks collected on the farm scattered about was a neat idea...low maintenance
and all that... but she has changed her mind since surgery and thinks a nice flat lawn would
be better...but stubborn and likes her rocks so is holding out before changing anything...just
don't walk thru it as much...rocks tend to be hard when you fall on them

And I know the todler walk well... when I get tired I really todddle about
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 08:21:43 am »
WHWT,
  I know what you mean about carrying heavy things and balance.  I think as we get used to our new single sided vestibular input, we get used to our walking gait and how much our body sways as we walk.  I notice that when I carry something heavy, and my gait changes, I notice some of the slightly off balance effects.
Regards,
 Rob 
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

marg

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 08:40:21 am »
With my adjusting to a 'new balance walk' I noticed my legs hurt ..... using muscles I didn't use the same way before.  It hurt so much for a while I was taking Tylenol for that instead of head pain  lol.  Anyway, going to a massage therapist a few times helped a lot.
marg
Marg