Author Topic: Walking Thru Long Corridors  (Read 4954 times)

OTO

Walking Thru Long Corridors
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »
Our office building has long corridors with a square pattern carpet and overhead lights in a sequential pattern.   I walk down the corridor and get that Twilight Zone illusion of a never-ending corridor.   It creeps me out.   But I put a hand on the wall and it goes away.... yikes...

linnilue

Re: Walking Thru Long Corridors
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 09:50:34 pm »
Oh yeah,  That's a balance issue.  I get it often in weird areas where the visuals can be skewed by the brain.  But I guess you just get used to the weirdness and stay still for a minute, catch your bareings and you will ge straight again. 
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Windsong

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:36:04 pm »
Hi Oto,

Saw your post and recalled that this was mentioned before too so here's the post from a prior thread here.....

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?action=search2

a number of us have mentioned this here and there.....

hang in there and time might help that as you get accustomed to adjusting.....
take care,
windsong

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:07:21 pm »
I know the feeling.  It reminds me of my college drinking days and sneaking into the dorm a <ahem> little under the influence.  I do what I did then, drag a finger on the wall.  <hick>
Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

er

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 12:05:05 pm »
I my self get this very often I hate it I also hold on to the walls or hold on to the person that is with me it helps
eve

WHWT

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 05:46:35 pm »
Big box stores--like Costco--with high ceilings, fluorescent lights and echoing, loud sounds are awful for me.
I just hold onto the cart and forge ahead.  Gotta get those 12 tubes of toothpaste!
Retrosigmoid suboccipital surgery for 1.3 cm AN in 2005.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:23:53 am »
My therapist told me that people with ADD have a hard time in big box stores.  She suggested I wear a hat when I go to those places.  I still hand on to the cart for dear life, but the lights, the noise and the crowds and all of those too tall shelves don't get to me like they did before and my balance is a little bit better.  Didn't work for me on long corridors though or outside.  I guess the brim of the hat blocks out the bigness.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 08:15:32 am »
OTO,
  I know what you mean.  Duke Hospital has a long tunnel between the parking structure and the Hospital.  It's both curved and rises and falls along it's length.  Early on after AN treatment, this tunnel was very uncomfortable to walk through.  It doesn't bother me as much now.
Regards,
 Rob
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:45:20 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 05:56:15 pm »
I dra mt finger along the halls at school... also used a brimmed hat in warehouse type stores for a while
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery