Author Topic: Ear pain .... TMJ?  (Read 6335 times)

susier

Ear pain .... TMJ?
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:29:32 pm »
For about a week now, I have had really bad headaches and what feels like a severe ear ache on my non AN side.  The pain is mostly noticiable when I breathe in or out heavily.  I don't know much about TMJ, but from what I've read, it can feel like an ear ache.  I have an appt with my GP this Friday, but not sure if that is the type doc I should be seeing.  Perhaps my ENT or Dentist would be better?  Is anyone else suffering from these symptoms and if it is TMJ, what treatment is there for the pain?  I have awakened to find myself clilnching my teeth and sometimes, when I'm really stressed, I find myself clinching during the day too.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  The symptoms from my AN have subsided for a while...... and now something new!  I give up!!  I saw a funny sign in a store at the mall that I really relate to...."I finnaly got my head together, now my body is falling apart".

thornapple

Re: Ear pain .... TMJ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:13:59 am »
I got a TMJ splint. It is formed from a cast, fits over my top teeth and prevents me from grinding them while I am asleep. It is fairly comfortable to wear, and the cost was partially covered by my insurance. If I go on a long car trip, I wear it during car drives, too, because I grind my teeth in traffic (tailgaiters, idiot drivers, grrrr).

It does make me lisp and looks a bit weird to pop it out, so it's not for social occasions. It is transparent and not very big.

Over time I have noticed a decrease in the pain in my jaw joints.

I saw a really cute needlework pillow kit; it had patchwork designs on it and said "after forty, it's patch, patch, patch."
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:16:37 am by thornapple »

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:54:01 pm »
Hi Susie,

Ear symptoms are very common with TMJ dysfunction. I've been diagnosed with it and I have most of the same symptoms in my 'good' ear as in my AN ear.  I was convinced I must be NF-2, but I saw several ENT's and neuro's while deciding on AN treatment and they all said the other ear was healthy.  I am also a nighttime clencher/grinder.  I got a splint from my dentist, but haven't had much success with it.  I recently saw my GP and he referred me to a chiropractor so I'm giving that a try.

There is a good overview of TMJ on this website from the Univ. of Delaware:
http://udel.edu/~spetter/TMJWebsite/tmjweb.htm

There are some stretches and exercises in the 'Treatments' section that may help.
Good luck!
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

susier

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 06:55:09 am »
Thanks to both for the info.  I have a dr appt this morning, and ofcourse, the pain has pretty much subsided.... isn't that the way it always is.  I'm still going to keep the appt in case it is something else.  Thanks again for your help.

Betsy

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 06:09:53 pm »
Hi Susie,

I've had TMJ for about 25 years (and probably before that) and have clenched my way through three sets of custom bite-guards over the years.  I got them at the dentist.  None of them stopped the clenching, they just protected my teeth from further damage.  So I'd still wake up with a sore face and jaw.  The latest one however, seems to stop the clenching altogether.  It's small, and only fits over the four bottom front teeth.  It has a little "handle" on it that keeps my teeth apart.  Since it's the back teeth that do the clenching, and there's nothing for them to bite down on, the urge to clench is suppressed.  It's also the most comfortable one I've worn.  It's called NTI (for Nocepetive Trigeminal Inhibition Device).  Here's the website if you want to check it out:  http://www.nti-tss.com/

Hope you can find some relief.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

susier

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 06:19:48 pm »
Thanks Betsy,
  My doctor verified today that it was TMJ and gave me a script for cortizone to help with inflamation and also a tranquilizer to take before bed to hopefully relieve tha stress and stop the clinching.  I appreciate the info on the tooth guard though, and if these meds don't help, will see my dentist and ask about the NTI. 
Thanks again for the info.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 01:35:49 pm »
Hi Suzie; funny my TMG subsided after my CK treatment so a lot of my symptons were TMG rather than the AN... this last week and 1/2 I have been doing a lot of driving so the stress started again.

Normally I just pop 2 advil if its really bad...

Take care of yourself- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys