Author Topic: Facial Palsy  (Read 15182 times)

webwrestler

Facial Palsy
« on: August 10, 2007, 10:21:20 am »
I am 4 months post op, with no improvement to my left side due to facial palsy. I had the tumor completley removed but it stretched my facial nerve and left me with palsy on my left side. My doc said it would return just be patient, yah easy for him to say...

I met with another doctor and he said it should be back to about 80%, but not too worry he still expects it to recover. I go back to work on Sept. 1 and am quite anxious as I am in corporate sales and worried about what will be out there. I went from being an extrovert to an introvert, literally overnight on May 1, 2007. I get the odd twinge or zapping feeling, but maybe once a day at night for about half a second...oh wait just had one....weird...

I am expecting to much in only 4 months post op? I think I have the answer already but this site has be great as a moral booster when I read other peoples successes. Yah, I know, I am alive and that is most important...If i hear that one more time from a family member..errr@! That is so annoying....

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Facial Palsy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 10:35:17 am »
Hey webwrestler,  Geez, I hate hearing about another person with facial problems - I just cringe...but, glad to hear you're having the 'zaps'.   Most people online here who've had a nerve stretched DO get movement back, HANG IN THERE - it is a slow process.  Some have taken upwards of 2 years, but you're already having the twinges so my heart is glad for you.  I know it's unnerving.
I know what you mean re: going from extrovert to introvert - I'm over 13 months out with no movement but my nerve was cut & reattached, real bummer.    I believe you're going to be okay, even if it doesn't feel that way right now.
Work is difficult for me with everyone staring, etc - I work in a hospital, took some getting use to.   Good luck my friend,  Nancy
ps:  no pun intended re: using the term unnerving - but pretty funny, huh?...Hi there Ellis, hope all's well!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:42:41 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 10:49:36 am »
Sorry to hear about your facial problems but like Nancy said you are getting ZAPPING feeling and that sounds like a good sign. I'm 7 months out and I wish I could get some zaps. I called Dr. Brackmann on my 6 mts and he told me he was 99% sure I would get movements back. All I can do is wait and hope. Hang in there!
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

webwrestler

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 11:20:25 am »
thanks for the feedback. just realized i never left my name, my mother didn't name me webwrestler.lol. It's Justin. Yah my surgeon said he "guaranteed" it will come back and to be patient, patient. That is pretty bold but he has 20 years experience doing AN's so I trust his word. I will just sit back and be patient. :)

Justin

pattibobatti

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 10:24:15 am »
Goodmorning,

You are only 4 months out.  It seems like forever, but your facial nerve likes it that way!! I am glad that you have read about all the good recovery people have had.  It just takes soooo much time..... And don't worry, not too many of us have any patience either!

I just wanted to cheer you up and tell you that I did not have  ANY movement for 9 months.  Then one day the corner of my mouth just started to move. And now I have a full smile, etc.  I do remember thinking that I will never have any movement but if you looked at me now, you would probably not think I had anAN.

All those twitches are very important!  Every time I see something looking better, I always have the twitches before!!!

Good luck to you,
Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

webwrestler

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 11:26:42 am »
YAHOOOOOOOOOO! Patti, just what I wanted to hear....I'm half smiling as I type....LOL :)

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 01:17:03 pm »
Justin,

I also had total facial paralysis after surgery.  My facial nerve is intact, but it was severly stretched.  My first movement came at three months, but you would measure it in millimeters.  I'm nearly two years now and I can make a smile.  I don't think most people notice it now, especially those that had not known me before.  I'm still getting twinges so I hope I continue to get improvement.  Gains are measured in months.  I did return to work as a teacher two months after surgery.  People around you adjust to how you look.  I find that most other people are really too wrapped up in themselves to really notice how different we are.  A confident attitude helps to overcome the physical looks.  Good luck to you.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

cinnamon

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:37:45 am »
Hey Justin,

I don't post on here much but felt I should share my experience with you a little. It took me 5 mnths to get my first movement. I work as an Administrator for a dental practice. I went back to work with my paralysis, boy was it hard. I didn't think I could do it. I really had no interest but my job needed me. I was very insecure at first. Especially because I wore a clear patch over my eye for several months. Anyways, I think getting back into your routine helps you not focus on your face so much. Trust me- I am no saint. I don't have a normal smile yet so I don't smile in public. My upper lip will raise but my lower lip has been the same since day one. I am trying to let you know it is different for everyone so give it some more time. Good luck.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

neal r. lyons

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 07:47:01 pm »
Hi Justin.  I'm also encouraged by the posts and the need for patience.  Truthfully, I must admit that when I went into surgery I was not aware that my facial nerve would not be functioning post surgery.  The reason is that obviously my research was not thorough enough, and I had assumed that facial nerve preservation would not result in what turns out to be extensive facial nerve recovery.

That being said, each case appears to differ regarding facial nerve function.  You cannot know what it will be like on the other side.
I can't say that it would have changed my mind anyway, but knowledge is power for everyone. 

Recovery sounds like day to day and month to month but it appears we have alot to be optimistic about!  Take care and keep us posted.  Neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

luckylady

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 05:44:36 am »
Greetings-

I am 4 weeks post op (middle fossa approach) - Excellent nerve function until last Friday-
Woke up with facial tingling - as the day progressed the tingling and symptoms got worse....could not close left eye- smile on left side drooped, tonque tingling on left side.....Called physicians ( 360 miles away) and he diagnosed Bells Palsey- RX high dose prednsione and famvair....Follow up appointment Monday so I will know more then.  My concern is the left eye is 4 times larger than the right.  I look cock-eyed and it hurts....Any-one out there have any sugestions.
Take care and keep us all posted

Luckylady

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 02:08:11 pm »
Hi Luckylady - I PM'd you this am.....    My eye looked larger on the AN side because of the paralysis (not 4 times larger though).  Since my temporalis tendon surgery, I think the doc pulled the lower eyelid up more so it looks about equal again (YEAH FOR ME).     I hope your visit goes well Monday, & you hear this is just temporary.   For other AN patients who got Bell's Palsy days/weeks after surgery,  their facial nerve came back, so keep good thoughts!    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

pattibobatti

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 01:43:30 pm »
Hi,

If your eye hurts make sure it is not getting too dry.  It is real important to use drops, gel, etc. if you are not blinking well.  If it is getting red, it is too dry. 

Hope that helps,
Patti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

dsuvb12

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 03:16:35 pm »
Wow these posts are so encouraging!  I am 5 months post op and probably have 30% of my facial nerve back.  I do have tone so when I'm not talking or smiling you can't even tell!  I'm an elementary teacher and when I first started I was a month post op so you could really tell....oh the comments I had!  The kindergarteners were so cute they checked up on me everyday to see if my face has woke up yet!  Now that there getting used to it the comments are slowing down!  I was told that in a year what I had back was going to be it.  The Dr.'s are still hopeful that I will get everything back!  A measuring stick for me is when I get my dimple back.  :) I just joined this group and am very glad I did!  Being from South Dakota there aren't too many cases of this so it's nice to hear from people that have went through the same thing!
4.6cmm tumor pressing on the brain stem--removed 7/24/07
Right facial paralysis, loss of hearing in right ear
Gold weight in right eye
BAHA Implant
Dr. Gary Moore was ENT and Dr. Long was neurosurgeon both of Omaha, NE
Had two scar revisions due to staph infection and suture allergy--Dr. Johnso

jerseygirl

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 08:11:18 am »
23 year old,

I had my first surgery in 1988 when I was 25 for 6x3x3 cm tumor. When we are young, these tumors grow so large and go unnoticed for a long time! I woke up to a perfectly functioning facial nerve but 10 days later, when the steroids were discontinued, I had facial palsy. The surgeon also told me that at one year whatever I had regarding facial nerve will stay with me forever. Well, not so. It took two years for my face to look as if pre-surgery and right before my second surgery, 19 years later, I started to cry, albeight slower and less, out of my AN eye! The point I am trying to make is that our bodies recover over time and it is lost to surgical follow up. Don't necessarily believe everything your surgeon says and have hope for yourself!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

dsuvb12

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 08:51:28 am »
Thanks for the words of encouragement!  It's nice to hear from another young person who had a large tumor!  I find mine by pure luck b/c the only symptom I was having was slight loss of hearing so they just about dismissed it...Thank God they didn't!  Hopefully God will give me the strength to wait patiently for my face to return back to it's pre-surgery form!
4.6cmm tumor pressing on the brain stem--removed 7/24/07
Right facial paralysis, loss of hearing in right ear
Gold weight in right eye
BAHA Implant
Dr. Gary Moore was ENT and Dr. Long was neurosurgeon both of Omaha, NE
Had two scar revisions due to staph infection and suture allergy--Dr. Johnso