Author Topic: Facial Palsy  (Read 15185 times)

lori67

Re: Facial Palsy
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 02:35:14 pm »
Hi David and welcome.  I can assure you that if you were acting right now - all of us forum members would be in the front row to cheer you on!

I was also told that I should probably start to see some facial improvments around 3 months, but i didn't until about 8 months.  Not to scare you - everyone is different, and hopefully it won't take that long for you.  When you do start to see some movement, I suggest going to a PT who does facial PT to help get things moving and to prevent synkinesis.

Good luck to you in your healing and be sure to give us a good plug when you go up there to collect your Oscar!   ;)
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 03:02:27 pm »
Hi Lori
Thank you so much for the welcome.  It's great to be here.  I was dealing with this alone -- after a month my support group began to dwindle -- I was "yesterday's news" as a cynical friend on mine suggested.  And no one from the clinic was providing any suggestions.  Now I know what to expect and can wake up in the morning without feeling horrible that there has been no improvement.
Thank you.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

LADavid

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2008, 03:17:18 pm »
Hi Phyl
I checked around to see if I could find a posting from Mark.  Since I'm new here I wasn't sure how to search.  Could you point me in the right direction?  I'm pretty sure Mark will remember me from Zodiac.  I'd like to get his input on how he dealt with the industry.
Thanks
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 03:30:04 pm »
Hi David,

I'm sorry if I confused you... Mark, unless under an alias, has not posted here to my knowledge.  The posts I reference are those made by other users of this discussion forum.

If you go to the top of any page here and look for the "Search" field, type in "Mark Ruffalo"... there is 1 complete page of posts/threads done by users here, as many track his progress post AN surgery. If you do, by chance, get to speak to him, let him know that he has been a quiet inspiration to many here... one who is in the public eye and walking in the same shoes as many here.

I hope that helps... and again, welcome! Looking forward to your further participation in these forums boards.

Phyl

Hi Phyl
I checked around to see if I could find a posting from Mark.  Since I'm new here I wasn't sure how to search.  Could you point me in the right direction?  I'm pretty sure Mark will remember me from Zodiac.  I'd like to get his input on how he dealt with the industry.
Thanks
David

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LADavid

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2008, 06:28:08 pm »
Hi Phyl
Thanks for the clarification on Mark.  I will look for him locally -- the only place I've met him is on-set -- but I may be able to find him in town.  If I do, I will make sure to let him know that he has been an inspiration.  He's a very low-key genuine kinda guy and I know he would appreciate that. Thanks again.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 10:45:00 am »
HI,
I AM NEW TO THE GROUP. MY SITUATION IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT FROM YOU GUYS IN THAT I DIDN'T HAVE A TUMOR REMOVED I HAD ARTERIES/VEIN REMOVED WHICH RESULTED IN A STRETCH INJURY TO MY FACIAL NERVE. I WOKE UP WITH COMPLETE PARALYSIS OF THE LEFT SIDE OF MY FACE. PARALYZED SWALLOWING NERVE AND WAS FED VIA A FEEDING TUBE DOWN MY NOSE FOR A MONTH AND DAMAGE TO MY INNER EAR. THE SURGERY WAS MVD FOR HEMIFACIAL SPASM. MY DOCTOR SAID THAT MY RESPONSE WAS SIMILAR TO ACCOUSTIC NEUROMA COMPLICATIONS. I AM IN MY 7 MONTH WITH LITTLE MOVEMENT. I DO HAVE THE NASOLABIAL FOLD (SMILE LINE) AND A TINY GRIN. I HAD A PLATINUM WEIGHT PUT IN MY EYE 6 MONTHS AFTER MY SURGERY. I WAS WONDERING.....DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHEN THE EYELID FUNCTION USUALLY RETURNS. I WAS TOLD THAT THE MOUTH AND EYE COME IN FIRST. I'M SURE THAT IT HAPPENS DIFFERENT FOR MANY PEOPLE BUT IF YOU GUYS CAN TELL ME WHAT YOU HAVE HEARD AS FAR AS WHAT COMES IN FIRST, SECOND, ETC. )EYE, MOUTH, FOREHEAD, ETC. I WOULD LOVE TO LEARN FROM YOU. I AM 36 YEARS OLD. MOM OF A 3 AND 5 YEAR OLD.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2008, 12:12:20 pm »
Hi CROOKEDSMILE: Nice to meet you.   Boy, you have been through it - glad to see you found us!
I can only speak from what I've read on this forum - I ended up with total paralysis - never regained any movement.  But, by the sound of it, since your nerve was stretched, & you have the nasolabial fold & a tiny grin, I'd bet you will continue to have improvement, it just takes time (a snails pace!).
My neurologist told me the eye area is usually the last to regain movement, but that hasn't always been the case by what's happened to others here.
Best wishes to you,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Chambo

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2008, 05:52:34 pm »
I was always told the eyelid movement comes back first as this requires the least anount of function from the facial nerve to work. This was true for me - eyelid back and no more eye drops on one random day 6 - 8 months post op.

Mouth started showing tiny movements and twitches at about the 3 month post op mark. I am just about teeth smiling confidently now (18 mths post op). I reckon about 90%.

Forehead (as Docs said) has been the slowest. Just starting to see slight control and minimal movement. Doesn't worry me too much as fewer lines...!

So, my Docs have been on the money with their predictions.

Hope this is of some help.

3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978