Author Topic: 1 Week until my Gamme Knife ...  (Read 8622 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
1 Week until my Gamme Knife ...
« on: July 09, 2007, 07:30:07 am »
And I'm find of freaking out. Someone tell me something that's gonna make me feel better about it   :)

I know it can't be as bad as the two brain surgeries, but I'm still kinda freaked at the thought of the head frame and beams of radiation piercing my brain 

Ok, you're up, make me feel better   :)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: 1 Week until my Gamme Knife ...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:06:51 am »
Ok, here goes... granted I had a 5-day CK....

1.  The sedatives are great!  :P  You won't feel a thing
2.  Zapping the brain is not as bad as you think! 
3.  Approx 1 hr, you'll sleep right through it (see #1 above).
4.  Once it's done, that's it. 
5.  You may feel fatigue, post treatment, but heck, milk the excuse for a nap!
6.  The bolt-reminders will let you do a great imitation of Frankenstein!  Use that as a joke with neighbors that Dr. Frankenstein got hold of you!

Ok, that's just starters. Scott, you are going to do great and truly... after your treatment, you will see that it was a piece of cake.  Acknowledge any fears you may have about it... embrace those fears... and you will conquer them.  You've been through worse... this really will be much easier than all you have been through.

Hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sheryl

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:32:05 am »
Scott - it's easy for me to say all will go well but it's not my head.  Keep positive thoughts - especially how this is going to help you play with Addie's children (your grandchildren) some day.  While you are getting the treatment don't think about it as "beams of radiation piercing your brain" - think of it more as little "Pac Men" going in and destroying the tumor (or at least stopping the growth).   Or, if "Pac Man" isn't your thing, you can also conjure in your mind the best scene of your life and fixate on that.  Both my husband and I have been through some medical nightmares and we didn't realize until recently that we BOTH visualize ourselves on a beach in Bermuda that we have visited.  Make sure you get enough sedative medication.  Please keep us posted.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:35:22 am »
Pac-Man or the Beach? Pac-Man or the Beach? Hmmm? I think I'll go with the beach. Specifically the Cayman Islands, yep, feelling better ...  :)

Obita

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:16:08 am »
Scottie:

You will do just fine.  When it is over, you will wonder why you got so worked up about it.  I am not talking from experience but from what I have read on this forum.  I don't recall ever reading a post from anyone that had wished they had decided on hole in the head vs radiation.  Plus, they ain't gonna zap yer brain, just the tuma thats kissin it!!

Good luck my friend, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:48:54 pm »
Scottie, Scottie, Scottie what am I going to do with you?  Auntie Sue says to just go with the flow, dude. You are in the hands of the professionals and they try not to hurt you and they certainly don't want you to freak out whilst they are doing their thing...so trust in the meds, Luke!  Let the Force be with you and it will be okay.  You gotta do a Zen kind of thing, I guess.  When this is all over with you are going to be feeling pretty silly, my friend, that you worried about this so much. 

Did you ever find out about the steroids and if they will give you that after your GK?  That's my only concern for you is that you will have some sleepless nights and that can get really, really irksome.

Besides, this experience will make your chapter of the book all the more interesting, right?  Look at this as more matierial for your best seller!

Hey, the pirates will all put their socks on for ya. 

Cheering you on in Vancouver,

Auntie Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 01:16:39 pm »
You're crazy Sue, but I like it   :)

They couldn't tell me much about the steroids, only that I would get a dose along with the procedure and then they'd have to see where were were from there. I'm just going to assume the worst and plan on my next night of sleep being somewhere near Thanksgiving   ;D

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:34:32 am »
Nah, Labor Day!! :D

Ask 'em if you can do any sleeping pills. Who knows, maybe they won't bother you that way...but it's a real common side effect....and it's really, really, really....hard to manage on 2 hours of sleep a night.  Really.

I was thinking about you Scottie when I went on my walk today.  I thought...that kid has had a portion of his skull removed, TWICE, and had somebody digging around inside his head, TWICE, and gone through recovery of MICROSURGERY, TWICE and he's worried about 4 little teeny tiny pins poking him?

Oh, that's okay, sweetie. Believe me, if they ever tell me that my GK didn't take and they were going to have to be doing to me what they did to you just the one time...I'd be screaming my head off! No pun intended.  ;)

Sleep well.  Keep the good thoughts.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 07:36:47 am »
It just doesn't seem fair, does it?   ???

Betsy

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 10:14:18 am »
Well Scott, I'll tell you what my sister told me when the docs were putting me through a gauntlet of heart tests before they decided to look in my head.  I was freaking out too, and she told me to approach it like a reporter gathering information for a story.  She had an ulterior motive...she works for a hospital scheduling the exact tests I was taking, and she wanted first-hand information to tell her patients.  Regardless, it worked for me and I was able to keep my freakoutedness in check when they were shooting me up with ice-cold radioactive solution.

When it's over, you'll have a whole new set of experiences to share with future ANers who haven't been diagnosed yet.  I look forward to your post-GK messages.

I'll be thinking of you on the 17th...that's the same day I'm meeting with the docs who will be zapping my AN.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 10:43:07 am »
Thanks Betsy

gordy

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 11:00:00 am »
scottie ity will be fine. i just had my gamma knife yesterday morning. everything went just fine. only had one snag and it wasnt the doctors fault. i was due to get 9 total shots. after the 8th the machine broke. tried to get some one to fix it but that didnt happen. the doctors are confident in there plan that did take so am i, i guess. the worst part is when they take the frame off, but it cant be nearly anything like what you have gone through before. just relax its one day of some uncomfortableness. you can ask for some meds when there about to unscrew the frame. outside of that no big deal. good luck to you.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 01:42:11 pm »
Thanks, I'm a little nervous about the headframe going on and coming off

gordy

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 01:58:24 pm »
not to bad scottie at all. they numb the four areas that they attach it to so its just slight discomfort. mine was on longer then most because i was waiting for the machine to get fixed. you will feel it a bit more when they take it off but you will get meds. i was out of there about 1/2 hour after it came off  with a couipler tylonol and took 2 last night before bed and thats it. much better today, very slight pressure, not a big deal. i know its easy for me to say that but i just went through it so i know. we are always scared of the unknown as i was wensday night. if you have any questions feel free to ask. i havent been of any help on this forum since i hadnt had anything done until now, hopefully i can offer some insight now.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 02:03:52 pm »
Whast else of signifigance is there that I should know? Did the Dr's go over the whole plan with you before you had the actual treatment?