Hi I'm new to this forum.
In March 2017 I had some hearing loss and tinnitus in my right ear. Was dx'd with a 4.0 mm x 3.5 mm AN near my cochlea. After being fitted with hearing aides my hearing is basically back to normal, and my tinnitus is all but gone ( I was on Klonopin for the T but am weaning off of that because it is some nasty stuff - and hoping that the T is really gone for good).
I'm at that decision stage- watch and wait - or surgery. I am 56 y.o. in good shape, work out regularly, etc. My concern about waiting is one doc (*the surgeon) told me if you watch and wait you might wake up one day and the hearing in that ear is just gone- overnite- even if there is no growth at all
. I'm not so much afraid of losing the hearing as I am of losing the hearing and having the T return in my deaf ear. That to me seems like a nightmare.
The radiation doc I met with said radiation is not a good idea because its too close to my cochlea. He said that mine is so small it could have always been there and that W/W is probably just fine.
I've tentatively decided to have the surgery - mainly because it is a very small AN, and everything I read tells me I would have a good shot at saving my hearing- and I just want to get it out of me. I am actually going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN next month for a second opinion on everything - i.e. radiation? watch and wait? or surgery?
After seeing some of the posts on here the W and W seems like not such a bad idea.
Has anyone on here heard of one that small?
Just curious about anyone's thoughts on watching an waiting on such a small AN- especially the bit about I might wake up one day deaf in that ear! (that more than anything makes me want to have the surgery- but there is a risk of losing the hearing there as well)
Thanks for listening!
P.S> - By the way I have one friend recently diagnosed with ALS, and another bravely battling pancreatic cancer- so when I look at the AN diagnosis etc overall I feel pretty lucky.