Author Topic: Ipod FYI  (Read 5471 times)

lori78

Ipod FYI
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:31:13 pm »
For those of u into music and don't have hearing aids...

I am a music therapist (go figure... ACOUSTIC neuroma)... I am deaf in the left.  No tinnitus, but can't differentiate sound.  Can still sing, work, and play guitar. Though not always correctly, but work w people in wheelchairs, so they don't mind!  I love them!!

Anyway, my dad found an adaptor at Radio Shck that hooks into me ipod so I can hear all tracks on my good ear.  If u are a music buff, I think you'd appreciate this immensely.  Just be careful.. they come in diff sizes depending on ur pos/mp3 player. I'm sorta a music snob.... but if u r too... it's great.

Just a suggestion.  Also, are hearing aids woth it?  I'm waiting for the results of my Gamma Knife in Oct then exploring.  I have no tinnitus just vertigo.  I'm getting my masters in Social work, but I hear (haha) that sometimes aides don't help. aDVICE?

rOCK on, AN survivors!  Lori

Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Ipod FYI
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:39:56 am »
I am amazed and happy for you that you have no tinnitus.  Sorry you have the vertigo however.  Be VERY grateful the noise that you have in your head comes to you via your IPOD only!!  ;)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

linnilue

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 08:17:51 pm »
I have one question.  Despite your hearing loss do you still have the acoustic reflex(helps to balance sound in th ear)?  Yur audiologist would tell you if you had.  If you've lost the acoustic reflex then a hearing aid will not work for you becasue you won't be able to regulate the sound at all.  do you know the name of the device that your father bought for the ipod?  I love my ipod and use it all the time in my right ear, but i'd love to use a device like you have.  You are so lucky that you don't thave tinnitus, thank god for small, no very big favors. 
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

lori78

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 12:16:37 pm »
um, i dunno,,,,i just can't differentiate sound.  is that u mean?  can't tell which phone is ringin at work, left is my dominant and that's my tumor side.  what odds.... then again, i have sdepression, anxiety and lupus, so this mess is just ONE MORE THANG..
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

lori78

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 12:23:38 pm »
oh.. the adaptor is just a basic silver one that converts into mono or vice versa.  radio shack should know!!  helps sooooo much esp w symphany... good luck

amel

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:52:21 pm »
This device sounds great!  Can you describe more what it looks like, so I can describe it to the Radio Shack people?  Thanks.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 05:48:52 am »
Try this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102669&kw=2102669

It's listed for $4 on the Radio Shack web site. 

You can also see a previous thread (http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2971.0) for more info.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

amel

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 11:58:08 pm »
Thanks so much for the information.  I can't wait to give it a try.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with that dangling headphone (it gets in the way on the treadmill).. ;)

marg

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 11:38:10 am »
Wow I am so excited to check out one of those Radio Shack Ipod things.  Thanks for sharing about this. 

Now if the movie industry would just put the music on a individual track that can be turned down.... we  could actually understand the words better when watching a movie.  Wouldn't that be great?
Margaret
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:42:46 am by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

lori78

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 07:08:23 pm »
No joke on the movie industry.......... I have been so back to normal I took several of my residents to see Harry Potter....... HUGE FAN......... Where?  The IMAX  Stupid me............ nausea the entire time.  BLAH!

linnilue

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 07:23:49 pm »
OMG...I couldn't do IMAX without an acoustic let alone with one.  That must have been horrible, the NAUSEA..whoa.  I'm just curious, how long did it take ou to get over the nausea once you were out of there?
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

lori78

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 03:51:47 pm »
Um, I was ok.  Maybe two hours of nasea.  Harry 7 is out so y'all won't be seeing much of me on this forum until I'm done.

Sigh.... if only we all had magic wands and could wipe out our AN's..... ya know?  ;)

Cynaburst

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 05:53:10 pm »
Thanks for this tip!  I headed over to Radio Shack yesterday and picked one up.  Things do sound better on the I POD now!