Author Topic: Life Insurance  (Read 14110 times)

tatianne

Life Insurance
« on: April 20, 2007, 11:30:16 am »
I dont have life insurance and im almost afraid to try and get some at this point.

I have three children and I honestly didnt ever really think about getting insurance until all of this. Ive been putting it off because I dont think they will cover me.

Does anyone have an experience with this ??
Has anyone received coverage since being diagnosed ??
thanks
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

lxg57

• "it's always Happy Hour in my head!"
Re: Life Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:25:21 pm »
Hi, Tatianne-  You are right to be concerned.  If you can purchase group life insurance through your employer, you may be able to get around any questions regarding current health-  those plans often insure everyone in the group with no questions asked.  Some other insurers who will write everyone regardless of health advertise on TV for folks in certain age groups.

If, however, you are talking about a standard life insurance policy through an agent, questions are asked about your health (my current insurer keeps trying to get me to up my insurance  but also wants to know about conditions affecting brain, CNS, etc).  Unfortunately, writing a policy for someone with a brain tumor is considered "adverse selection" (makes it more likely they'll have to pay out sooner).  Your best bet, though, it to check with a Life Insurance agent that you know and trust for information in your state.  Hopefully, you'll have more options than we do in New York.  Good luck! ::)
Linda

2.3 cm right sided AN,  removed by retro sigmoid apporach by Kevin Walter and John Wayman at URMC(Strong Hospital) on 2/21/07.  8th cranial nerve lost, Right single sided deafness.

tatianne

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:54:45 am »
well, this is what happened...

did bloods for Insurance May 19, two weeks later they tell me its on hold because they have ordered and extra blood test...two weeks later they tell me they have requested information from my neurotologist, two-three weeks later im informed that I have been denied because of my blood results ??!!!
I have to mail (not e-mail or fax) a letter to the insance company so they can MAIL the results to my doctor.
Im really worried about this, ever happened to anyone ??
and
maybe its more about the ear then they say.
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Denise

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 01:29:40 pm »
Hi, i was able to get life insurance after my surgery, through my current employer.  The did ask alot of questions and they did contact my surgeon. I was approved about 60 days after I applied.

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 01:59:19 pm »
Tatianne,  denied because of something in the blood?  This sounds strange.  One wonders of the gatekeeper at the Insurance office knows what he is talking about.   He needs to ask his boss what he is talking about. ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 02:30:14 pm »
tatianne,

I have to agree with Boppie.. this is strange, from my understanding (although I may be wrong).

I have been questioned by life insurance companies based on "pre-existing" conditions (ie: my back surgery done years prior to coverage, etc) but for them to tell you that.... I would also question the "gatekeeper" for more details as to what the heck that means... just my thought.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 03:26:15 pm »
I was rejected for long term care insurance 2 yrs ago.       They only read my surgeons records and had not talked to me or seen me.    The reject letter was waiting for me as I got home from the 2005 symposium and the reasons for rejection were facial paralysis and unsteady gait.      Interesting to know that I had unsteady gait after just tromping all over Disney World.        I was and am still working as a hospital nurse( so I've seen my share of unsteady gaits!)    I also had made one trip to a facial therapist for tightness and synkinesis after my face had improved.                   Evidentally they don't know the difference between the off balance feel and true problems walking.                     I still get upset over even thinking about it.     I did not appeal as figure they would come up with some other reason.     Having had more surgery since would do it now.
   Looking forward to seeing everyone here soon in Philly.    Our flight leaves at 1 tomorrow.
                                                    Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

tatianne

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 06:43:47 am »
Thanks everyone.
Im hoping whatever is wrong im my blood is nothing too important or serious.
I mailed the letter requesting the results of my bloods be sent to my doctor, i will let you all
know what happens.
I was thinking that maybe because my AN has not been treated, is under observation, maybe be have added to them looking for any reason to deny me.
All of this had initiated the return of my anxiety in regards to my AN for some reason.
Thanks again everyone
Tania
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 10:56:23 pm »
tania if your blood test shows up for type 2 diabetes they will more than likely deny you as a high risk. Hoping it was something simple like that.

I know it was a factor for me.

M

dschweder

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 08:46:36 am »
tatianne-

Usually the insurance company will mail you the results of the blood test.  I am an agent in Iowa and everyone who has blood work done with us receives a copy of the results.

This could be anything.  High blood pressure, diabetes, etc.

Call the insurance company and ask for a copy of the blood work. 

cpg

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 08:38:45 pm »
I was just quoted a 50% increase in life insurance premium as a result of my treated AN. I have not been able to determine how the underwriters came to the conclusion that a treated AN was such a threat. Can anyone shed some light on this?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »
cpg -

unfortunately this isn't uncommon at all.

Afterall an acoustic neuroma is a brain tumor, albiet a benign one.

You have to disclose it on your life insurance application and it does usually result in denial of coverage or a higher premium.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but that's the way of the world.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 07:00:51 am »
Fortunately, I had purchased a life insurance policy a few years before my AN was diagnosed.  Our financial advisor told me I was lucky I got it when I did and not to cancel it because I most likely would not be able to get insurance anywhere else and if I did, it would cost a fortune.

All the underwriters see is "brain tumor" and break out the "DENIED" stamp.  They typically don't have any medical training and just rely on their medical dictionary for info.  I know this because I was an insurance underwriter and that was before I had any medical training.

I guess on the bright side - none of us can afford to die, so we should be around for a good, long time!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

texsooner

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 07:42:34 am »
Lori....glad to hear you're an insurance expert....obviously you're a woman of many talents. 

Several years ago (pre-AN discovery) I enrolled into group term life insurance thru the AICPA because it was quite a bit cheaper than similar coverage thru my employer. Guess they think accountants are not high risk people....got them fooled! Anyway, I was thinking recently to increase the coverage, but noticed that one of the questions on the application was "have you had surgery within the last 5 years"? Guess they'd break out the "DENIED" stamp for me on that one. I wonder what the answer would be after 5 years. Would us AN'ers be considered to have pre-existing conditions forever? I worry about this for medical coverage too in the future in case I wanted to retire early.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Cheryl R

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 07:48:25 am »
I've wrote about this before but I was denied long term care ins too.         This was in 2005 after my surgery in 2001 and I was told it was because of my unsteady gait.      I got the letter when I had just came home from Disney World and tromping all over there very nicely on my own.    Plus still working as an RN in a hospital.          I was not happy!
                                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care