Author Topic: Life Insurance  (Read 14111 times)

lori67

Re: Life Insurance
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 09:40:44 am »
Lori....glad to hear you're an insurance expert....obviously you're a woman of many talents. 

Ha...hardly an expert! I know just enough to be dangerous.   :D   I think most of what I knew leaked out of the hole in my skull!  I just remember thinking "boy, this job would make a lot more sense if some of us had some medical knowledge!".  And as for the many talents part - my mom likes to tell people I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up....   ::)

I would guess if you waited past the 5 year point, you could honestly say "no, haven't had anything in the last 5 years".  You just have to hope they don't change the question to cover the past 10 years before that!   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 02:05:11 pm »
Patrick ~

I'm not an insurance 'expert' but I sold life insurance at one point in my career and my wife was a claims supervisor for a major insurance company, so I do have a working knowledge of the business.

My suggestion would be that you not risk trying to apply for more life insurance at this point.  Although the '5 year' question can be answered honestly ('no') the application could ask about any surgeries you've had, without a specific time frame, forcing you to state your AN surgery (lying invalidates the policy) and possibly being denied coverage or at least having your premium jacked up.  Because you took out your current policy before your AN diagnosis, it should cover you even if you died from something AN-related, although that is extremely unlikely to happen.

In the future, if you chose to take out a different life insurance policy (upon retirement) the '5-year' question will likely be asked.  As long as the application doesn't ask about any surgeries - without a specific time-frame - you'll be fine. Should the AN surgery have to be revealed, it could raise your premium, but I doubt it would cause your application to be flatly denied.  This is life insurance, not 'health'/medical insurance and there is a different standard for the underwriting.  However, be aware that with life insurance, the higher the benefit amount, the more stringent the underwriting.

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 04:30:47 pm »
Hii  Taitiianne,

When applying for life insurance, regardless of what conditions you may have, there iis a risk factor that is reviiewd by the underwritiers. What happens is the more risks you are at, the less chances of coverage, or with some companies, the higher the premiums. Needless to say, that I don't expect the decline was due to the tumor, for one it is benign, and this is one factor they would be looking at. Conditions such as high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes are also high risks. Another option that Life Insurance companies can do is place a rider for the condition that they are declining you for. This means that they would still accept your coverage but if G-d forbid you should have a claim in the future for the medical reason of the specific rider, the claim would not be declined. Hope this helps. Definitely find out what they are referring to with regard to your blood work.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »
You guys do realize this is a topic from back in 2007 and Tatianne already had GK in May 2009, right?  I'm not sayin', just sayin'...  Carry on.  :)  Heh

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 06:56:09 pm »
Brian -

you are absolutely right - and I did notice that.  Tatianne's comments were old, but the thread was resurrected recently by cpg.

I was responding to that post.

And you thought I just wasn't paying attention  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways