Author Topic: Corneal Ulcers  (Read 19792 times)

Jeanlea

Re: Corneal Ulcers
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 04:19:34 pm »
Hi Nancy,

I do have a gold weight in my eye.  I got that before I even left the hospital after my surgery.  When I remember I do try to close my eyes.  I squeeze them both, but it doesn't look like it.  lol

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says about tear duct plugs. 

I'm not sure how much they would sew my eye.  I've already had a little of it sewn.  I really don't want to do that.  It almost seems pointless.  It would end up being that way forever, I'm afraid. 

I am already putting in the steroids.  My eye did get a little redder, but I will give it much longer this time instead of stopping soon. 

Thanks for your good thoughts.  Hope your eye is feeling better.  Have you been able to try your new goggles yet? 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 06:21:20 pm »
Hey Jean:  That's right !!!    You had the weight put in almost immediately (& I waited 1 month, I forgot).
                I've been using the goggles, even though my outer eye area is still a little sensitive;
                they keep my eyelids closed because the foam is right up against the lid,
                but I notice when I take them off to go to the bathrm. at night or in the morning when I get up
                that my eye hurts for just a moment - I thought it might be from slight pressure & am wondering if
                that can do damage to the cornea - but I think it's foam, not very weighty, & I usually sleep on one side or the other.
                I'll also ask the doc about that; but I'm so glad my eyelid is closed I don't want to stop using them, & I sleep better because
                everything is pitch black (now I'm thinking the pain might be from the way I'm removing the goggles...hmmmm....
                In any case let's both keep good thoughts about these eye issues.    I believe every good thought counts !!!!
                KEEP USING THE STEROID MEDICINE - THAT'S AN ORDER !!!!!!!!!

PS:  I JUST WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING - & I HAD NO PAIN IN THE EYE WHEN I TOOK OFF THE GOGGLES - THIS A.M. I GRABBED THE GOGGLES AROUND THE EYE AREA, PULLED SLIGHTLY OUT THEN UP & NO PAIN !!!!   YIPPEE FOR ME !!!!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 04:35:35 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

timtim

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 05:12:38 pm »
Hello everyone,

This is my first post to an internet forum, so here goes! Surgery was 8 months ago now.

I also suffer from eye redness and reduced feeling in the eye. My way of keeping redness at bay is to use surgical tape ('3M Micropore') to close my eyelid shut and I use it 24 hours a day: at work, at home, when asleep etc. Yes, it is drastic, but I found that it is the only safe way of protecting the eye from serious damage such as corneal ulceration. I also use Lacri-lube gel and Hypromellose (‘Alcon Isopto’) eyedrops throughout the day. I should have a gold weight put in later in the year.

I've noticed that I can almost close the eyelid if I am looking up, but I can't close it at all if I am looking down. Anyone else have this?

One last thing: is ‘saran wrap’ what we in the UK call cling-film- i.e. the stuff that you wrap food in to keep it fresh when in the fridge?

thanks

Tim
AN 45.0 mm diagnosed May2006
VP shunt July2006
posterior fossa surgery on August2006
FSR scheduled for July2007
Eye weight sometime 2007

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 06:49:33 pm »
Hi Tim:  Isn't that weird ! Yes, If my eyeball is looking down, & I try to close my eyelid, I can't, but if I look up, I can... Wait a minute - I don't know if the eyelid is closing more or, if because my pupil is raised higher, the little bit I CAN close the lid seems like more because the pupil is higher & therefor covered over !!!!!
Okay, next question:  sounds like saran wrap & cling film is the same - it's clear, thin & 'hugs' a bowl when you wrap it around it ! - to make the 'greenhouse' effect you cut a piece of cling film to fit around your eye, enough so you can then tape the entire film all around the skin (I did it so the tape was above the eyebrow, on the bridge of the nose..) so no air can get in -  then, you'll see in the morning 'dew drops' on the film !!  It works great but sooo time consuming.

Good for you taking such care with your eye,  I'm also a 'lubricant addict'.

Best wishes Tim,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 06:38:25 pm »
I had a size of a grapefruit tumor which is pretty large.  I have had eye problems from a cornea ulcer.  I went in and my entire cornea was gone.  We tried stichting and finally sewed half my eye shut.  I have used steroids and antibiotics for about 2 months.  I am sorry we both have to go through it. 
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 04:13:13 pm »
Hi Meagan:   Sorry to hear that.  How long ago was your initial surgery, & how long after did you find out you had corneal ulcer ?   And how long will your eye have to remain partially stitched ?   This must be so difficult for you, I can't imagine.......
Take care my friend,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 06:40:59 pm »
Hello:)
My surgery was Jan 3rd 2007 and i was in the hospital until end of february.  Everything that could go wrong did...but you gotta roll with the punches.  My stitch (sp?) is permanent but reversable so they are thinking about a year for that.  I was never told to put in drops and our focus was not on the eye so i went to the er when i lost vision in my eye.  We have tried many things and over a month later i have some vision.  Thanks for asking...i find what i went through to be interesting to talk about...conversation starter for sure.
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 07:52:01 pm »
Wow Meagan,  you're only 3 1/2 months post op & 2 of those months in the hospital !!!   You really sound great too, much better than I was 3 months out - felt like I just wanted to scream over what had happened.    Glad your vision is coming back & that the stitches aren't permanent.  Can't believe you weren't told to use drops/lubricant - negligence on their part if you ask me.  I can't imagine going one day without lubricant let alone months !!!   You're one tough cookie !!!!
Always good thoughts Meagan,   Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 02:02:02 pm »
So, my reconstructive doc wants to wait at least 2 more months before putting in the platinum weight - wants my eyelid totally healed, he doesn't do the plugs, so I called my optomologist, I have an appt. with him on 5/14 - he'll give my eye the once over & I may be able to have the plugs.   My eye is burning more & more without a weight.
Also, the foam eye goggles I bought I think are putting too much pressure on my eye at night (even though it's lightweight foam!), so I'll have to stop using them & go back to the plastic wrap - I'm going to try taking the foam piece out of the goggle & line them with the plastic wrap & see if it holds - only because I'm too lazy to 'cut & paste' every night.  Well, I'll let everyone (especially Jean)  know what happens 5/14, if I can get the plugs or not.     Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 05:55:23 pm »
Hey Nancy,

Not too much longer until you get your new weight.  That's good.  I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says about plugs.  I had talked with one of my eye doctors (I seem to have a few) about using restasis. He didn't really give an answer.  The redness has to be cleared up first. I'm still using the steroids twice a day.  It will still get red from time to time.  Now I've started using ointment every day.  I'm hoping that will help clear it up.

Too bad your goggles aren't working out.  Maybe you can attach plastic wrap to a plastic piece that fits over your eye and then someone attach that to an eye-patch with elastic attached to it.  Like a pirate.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 04:45:09 am »
Jean:  is Restasis the presciption eye drops that help produce tears ?  The Refresh Celluvisc I started using claims to do that - I don't use it exclusively.
         Thanks for saying it's not too long a time for the weight,  I was thinking '2 months is too long a wait' but you put things in perspective for me !!  I like your attitude better, so I'll take it as my own !!  I'll ask my doc about Restasis when I see him 5/14 - maybe RX drops will have a better outcome, if he feels I'm not a candidate for the plugs.    I put cellophane inside the goggle last night, worked okay, but you're right, I'll tape it on the outside of the goggle as it moved around while I slept, but my eye feels better this a.m.    Every morning I use drops to get the red out before putting in lubricant, don't want to scare anyone at work as my eyes get red too !!
  Always good thoughts Jean,   Nancy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 06:21:16 am by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

timtim

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2007, 12:00:37 pm »
Hello Nancyann,

I am reading your recent experience with the goggles- my question is: what happens if you sleep with the goggles on, but without the sponge and also without any cellophane? Will the goggle chamber itself act as a chamber to seal in moisture?

take care
Tim
AN 45.0 mm diagnosed May2006
VP shunt July2006
posterior fossa surgery on August2006
FSR scheduled for July2007
Eye weight sometime 2007

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2007, 12:48:25 pm »
Tim:  I didn't think of doing that & I don't know why - the outer goggle is rubber, so it should promote humidity.  I'll try it tonight, Thanks my friend !!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 02:46:32 pm by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2007, 04:13:06 pm »
Nancy, yes Restasis is the prescription that helps your eyes make its own tears.  I'll be waiting to hear what your eye doctor says about it.
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2007, 06:47:02 am »
Hi Tim:  well, my eye doesn't burn or hurt this am, but using the goggles without the cellophane didn't give me the 'greenhouse effect', so I think I'll just continue using the goggles with the cellophane.   It was worth the try !   Jean - will let you know about the restasis, my appt. is 5/15.      Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis