Author Topic: Lubricants & Eyelashes  (Read 5037 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Lubricants & Eyelashes
« on: October 06, 2007, 02:26:57 pm »
Well, since we've touched upon this in other topics for eye care, I just bought the Ocusoft Eyecleanser (thank you 4!!).  Unfortunately they didn't have the extra strength stuff, so I bought the regular cleanser pads.   I just tried it - of course I'm impatient & wanted my eyelashes free of lubricant, but who am I kidding??  After 15 months of applying lubricant to my eye, I can't expect miracles - it will probably take months of using this stuff daily to get rid of the buildup.  After I used it & then washed with H20, of course I had to put in MORE lubricant because my eye burned, which will eventually get onto my eyelashes, is this a VISCIOUS CIRCLE joke or what????
I'm going to use the cleanser pads religiously, eventually I hope it will balance out.   Thanks again for the suggestion 4.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
Re: Lubricants & Eyelashes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 09:41:20 pm »
Hi NancyAnn, I use refresh LIquigel  lubricant drops., during the day. works for me. They can do a eye duct surgery I forgot  what its called. But maybe you will need that. (If I can ever think again :) I will tell you what its called )    Today both my eyes went heywire  :(    Good luck
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 07:06:26 am »
Hi Linny:  I asked my doc about the tear duct plugs - he said I'm not a candidate (or for the Restasis eye drops) because my eye makes tears, they're just useless because they sit on the lower lid & then drop out (due to the paralysis).  I just tried the Genteel Lubricant drops (I had a tube in my closet), but they're not thick enough - my eye kept burning, so I stick with the thick Refresh PM lubricant 'till my facial surgery 11/20 (can't wait!).  Always good thoughts, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 05:40:16 pm »
I have NF2 and have experienced eye issues on both sides.

After my first AN was removed, although I had no facial paralysis, the amount of tears my eye produced decreased dramatically.  I got a punctum plug that solved my problems well.

During my last AN surgery in April, my facial nerved snapped due to some complications that I had. The ends were patched together with surgical adhesive as my doctors did not want to take the time to stitch them together.

I think that I have some nerve function since the exterior of my face feels normal. However, the inside of my mouth is numb.

I got a gold weight and my lower lid was tightened. This helped tremendously. The period of time after I was released from the hospital and before my eye surgery was tough. I used drops every 15 minutes and had quite a buildup on my lashes. I picked the dried lubricant off my lashes and that mostly worked. I also held my eye closed in the shower and let the water run on my face for a while. This too helped. One time, however, I was cleaning up the gunk using the first method when I accidently pulled a big clump of lashes out. That solved the problem for a while but it hurt for a while too.

I consider myself fortunate now as my need for lubrication has declined greatly. It is Sunday afternoon and I have only put drops in once this weekend in addition to using my normal nightly lubricant. And, my vision has really benefitted from using less drops. I have even begun to read again!

Best wishes to you all,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 06:17:32 pm »
Nancy, Linny & Jeff,

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving.

I know (I know) I am in the USA but our farmhouse smells like roast turkey... mmmm.. all but my almost 9-year-old (the "vegtabletarian" who won't eat vegetables) are getting hungry... My dear American husband is doing the roast this year as I still recover from AN surgery.

Many blessings to count this weekend and again on American thanksgiving... (Having opportunity to correspond with you-all is one)

Back to "the eye" ... Nancy are you taping your eye on the side? I ordered most of the books from ANA...

https://secure.baxinternet.com/~anausa/for_sale.html

I suggest these:

Eye Care After Acoustic Neuroma Surgery (AN6)
Details on caring for eye problems caused by facial weakness following acoustic neuroma treatment. Includes information on corrective procedures and patient-maintained eye care.
$3

The Facial Nerve and Acoustic Neuroma: Possible Damage and Rehabilitation (AN4)
Tips and information for patients who have facial weakness or paralysis after treatment for acoustic neuroma. Includes an explanation of the facial grading system and some exercises that can be performed at home to improve facial tone.
$2

These were helpful to me... however there is a contradiction on gum chewing. The eye book says this can increase tear production (i.e. good) and the facial palsy booklet says gum chewing is not recommended with palsy as it promotes asymmetry (i.e. bad)... the eye book has good suggestions (but does not talk about the bubble being a 'germ incubator' - perhaps some revision is still needed to my June 2007 edition) ... however the drooping lower lid technique of tape is illustrated (Illus.5 ) is clear and is working for me.

Now the question is can us AN'ers walk and chew gum at the same time... ;D

Anyway ... just a FYI ...the ANA eye care booklet does has some taping suggestions to help hold those moisture tears in.

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 02:42:33 pm »
Hey 4 - I had gotten those pamphlets when I 1st joined the ANA - for the life of me I don't know where they are!!   I don't tape the 'side' of my eye.  I'm okay with the lubricant during the day, especially at work (wouldn't want to look like any more of a 'freak' then I already do (vanity wins again), & it's still 'the bubble' when I go to sleep.
I'm just counting down the days for my 'extreme makeover!!'
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:45:41 am »
Hey 4 - wanted to let you know taping the lower lid (even tough I had the lateral tarsal sling done) DID help me - I seemed to need 'something extra' last night while watching TV, & it DID help!!!!  Thank you my friend,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 07:12:36 pm »
Partners in eye goop, fly poop eyelid cleaners and tape...   ;D LOL

Glad to hear something worked.

cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!