Author Topic: House Ear Clinic Doctors/Surgeons  (Read 11313 times)

paul99

House Ear Clinic Doctors/Surgeons
« on: January 18, 2007, 12:54:59 am »
Hello all. I was diagnosed with AN last year, and through research and after talking with a few doctors, I have decided to have microsurgery at the House Clinic in L.A. in about a month.  I have read a lot of positive things about the staff at the House Clinic, and I recently had a visit to talk to Dr. House, which was a pleasant experience.  For my surgery, I have Dr. Schwartz, Dr. House, and Dr. Stefan.  I was wondering if anyone had much experience with Dr. House, Stefan and Schwartz as a team. I am scheduled for middle fossa, and my hearing is pretty good in the affected ear, so I am hoping for of course successful tumor removal, facial nerve preservation, and "hopefully" preserving hearing if possible.  My tumor is very small (around 5 mm), but I know location also plays a role, and what nerve it is on, etc.  From what I can tell, everyone seems to have a pretty good experience with all the doctors at the House clinic.

Does anyone have any experience with these specific doctors (House, Schwartz, Stefan)?

Thanks very much for your help.

Derek

Re: House Ear Clinic Doctors/Surgeons
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:57:33 am »
Hi Paul and welcome to the 'club'...

Can't help with your query re House but I am interested to learn why you decided upon microsurgery over radiosurgery and what prompted you to have early treatment rather than 'wait and watch'.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

vcschaub

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:18:58 am »
I had middle fossa surgery with Drs. Brackmann, Hitselberger and Stefan. As you can see from reading my previous posts as well as others, the teams at House are excellent. My hearing had deteriorated to 85% prior to surgery and post surgery it has stabilized at 76%. I had delayed facial weakness which is now almost resolved. My only remaining symptom is an eye that closes partially when I smile broadly and tears when I eat. That beats when the eye would not close or tear!!
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

IAHeel

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 12:29:06 pm »
Paul,

My wife had translab with Schwartz and Friedman. You could not be in a better place and good luck! Also, if you are at St Vincent, the staff there is really nice.

Fred Moore

paul99

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 04:13:25 pm »
Hi Derek,

I decided on microsurgery instead of radiosurgery mainly to remove the tumor and not have any scarring. I was worried that with radiosurgery, the tumor may still grow in the future, and if it did, it would be more difficult to remove if there was scarring from a previous radiosurgery.  I am 36 years old, and my tumor is relatively small, so I felt ok going the microsurgery route.  I just will feel better knowing that the tumor will be removed.  If I was older, like say in my 50's or so, then I might possibly elect to have the radiosurgery.

Also, the reason why i didn't want to "wait and watch" is because I have already lost my hearing twice in my affected ear. Luckily, I was able to get on a steroid called Prednisone and it relieved the inflammation on the nerver and I regained my hearing back.  I do not have all my hearing restored in the affected ear, but it is close to 90-95%. I cannot hear some of the very high frequencies any more, but other than that, it is normal.  I do have ringing in the ear from time to time also.  If I had not lost any hearing in my ear, I would probably wait and see if it grows, but I worry about having permanent hearing loss now if I just let it go, since I have already lost my hearing twice.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
Paul

paul99

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 04:15:55 pm »
BTW: Thanks for all of your responses so far. I really appreciate your replies.  It is great to hear the success stories from the AN removals. Very encouraging.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 07:18:09 pm »

I was very happy with my treatment at House .. as for the doctors I can only talk about Stefan .. he was great! came to my room every day (all the doctors did!) (he did his rounds) and spent all the time I needed .. talked with me .. then he would spend time with my wife .. and when I ran into us at the cafe .. talked somemore... gets a thumbs up!  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Desilu

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:39 pm »
Hi Paul,

I had Dr. Stefan also. He's the Doc. that prescribes all your meds and makes sure they are working. Your other doctors, Schwartz and House will do the surgery. You will be in good hands.

I had middle fossa because my tumor was small and was able to retain 85% of my hearing in my AN ear. Other than my AN eye closing when I am yawning, I have no other side effects of the surgery.

You are young and will bounce back in no time. Please keep us posted on your progress.     Ann
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 11:56:38 am by Desilu »
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

eugd

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 02:25:04 am »
I had DR. Schwartz and Freidman do my A.N. in December and I had great outcomes with hearing preservation, no headaches, and no balance issues. Just a small leak under the scalp that was resolved without surgery.  the best thing about the HEI they call you back when you have a problem withing an hour or two.  I live in NYC and that helps put alot of concerns to rest. 
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

Quailruner

• Kung Pow that AN thing
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 08:18:32 pm »
I just had my surgery at HEI last month, and I am very happy I did.
The staff at HEI was great.
I am currently in the recovery mode for my facial weakness and dry eye, but everything else is doing very well.
I went through a battry of hearing tests 1 day prior to surgery at HEI seeing I was out-of-state prior to the operation.
The operation went smooth, I had Dr. Brackman, Dr Hitselber, Dr Kutz, and Dr Stefan.
Dr Stefan is real supportive, I have talked to him quit a few times post surgery.
All I can say is HEI has the best supporting and careing Dr's I have ever met.
Best of luck with the surgery, and keep thinking positive.

Regards,

Kenn A.
Kenn A. (Peoria AZ)
1.2 x .9 CM AN Right Side
Surgery on 19 Dec 2006 (Middle Fossa)
House Ear Clinic, Los Angles CA
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

kristin

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 09:01:24 pm »
kenn...let me recommend a plug for your dry eye. i had middle fossa in april 05 and thought i was going to need to buy eye drops in bulk until i went to my eye doctor and he put a plug in my tear duct. wow! what a difference!

paul...i had brackmann, hitzelberger and stefan. i think everyone must have stefan. he was a good doctor, but kinda gave me the creeps. i thought his services were pretty expensive too.  he was the internal medicine doctor and fortunately i had a very quick recovery and didn't need to see him more than one time in the hospital and one time after being discharged from the hospital.  i wouldn't let my opinion stop you from going there. i'm totally happy w/ house ear clinic and st. vincent's medical center.

when is your surgery scheduled? are you having middle fossa for your small AN?

kristin in montana
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Crystal

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 07:21:41 pm »
Hi Paul -- I had Schwartz, Luxford and Stefan, they are top notch.  So far I have had no complications at all and I go back to work next tuesday, after 2 months recovery.

You are in great hands.  Here is a re-cap of my Translab Surgery. 

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2737.0

Best of luck!
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

flier58

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 07:44:50 am »
Hi Crystal,
I am so happy to see your post and the fact that you are doing well.  Your story is so important to all members of this (AN) family and I was following it since my own dx. of Sep,  2006.  I too had CK and for now I'm doing OK (minor, manageable issues) butI went into it knowing that there are failures.  I am sorry you had to go through surgery but your great recovery gave many of us peace of mind that there are still good chnces of good outcomes if radio fails.  thanks for your posts.
Flier58

paul99

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 11:31:59 pm »
Hi Kristen:

My surgery is scheduled for mid March with middle fossa.  It's great to hear of your experience with the House Clinic.

Thanks,
Paul

paul99

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 11:37:01 pm »
Hi Crystal,

Thanks for your article that describes your experience leading up to, during, and after your surgery. It was very enlightening, and I am happy to see that you are doing well after your surgery and your recovery.

I wish you well going forward.

Take care and God bless,
Paul