Author Topic: use a cane or walker?  (Read 9537 times)

rebarman

use a cane or walker?
« on: January 03, 2007, 08:47:02 am »
Morning all,

I'm 8 days away from having my surgery and of course family members are asking all sorts of questions. Most I have an answer for, or can get an answer to, but one that keeps coming up that I don't know is about having to use a walker or a cane.

How many of you had to use a walker after you got back home, and if so for how long? Did you progress over to just a cane? Do you still use anything (cane, walking stick, etc) to help with the balance?

Of course, I know everyone is different, and what "A" does can be 180 degrees different than how "B" gets about, but I (we) are curious to see how others have fared.

Thanks.
1.5cm x 1.4 cm AN on left side
Removed by Translab on Jan 29, 2007
Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson @ Emory Univ. Hosp.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: use a cane or walker?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 08:54:09 am »

I would have to say the larger the tumor .. the more change you would have for walking problems ...

I was on a walker for 2 weeks ..(I skipped the cane) ..

I think most people do without ..(and lean on a person or wall while they re-learn to balance)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 10:53:31 am »
I used another person or wall/chair while I was in the hospital (except for a few short walks with the physical therapist when she made me do it by myself!  I hated her for that - at the time!  LOL!).  By the time I came home, I could walk on my own as long as I took it slow and the cats didn't dash around my feet.  So, I never needed one.  That's just my personal experience.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 11:20:23 am »
The motion of the walker made me nauseated.  When the PT people came, they just brought a strap that they hooked on me and walked behind me (I looked like Frankenstein on a strap).  They sent the strap home for my family to help me there if I needed it.  When I got home, I used a cane for about a week, then just walls and other people.  I find it really helpful to walk with someone on my non-AN side and place my hand on their shoulder to find my balance when I need to...still.  I use my hands for balance points a lot. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 11:32:24 am »
BELIEVE IT OR NOT !!!

PT DEPT. ORDERED A WALKER, & A COMMODE FOR ME TO TAKE HOME.  DIDN'T NEED EITHER - IN FACT, MY FRIEND (neurologist) STRONGLY ADVISED AGAINST WALKER, FEELING I'D THEN HAVE TO GET USE TO BEING WITHOUT THAT CRUTCH - HE WAS RIGHT.   POST OP JUST USED RAILING OR IF SOMEONE WAS AROUND HOLD ON TO THEM WHEN NEEDED.  I WAS SHOWERING MYSELF BY DAY 2 POST OP (chair in shower just in case).

THE WALKER & COMMODE ARE IN STORAGE (FOR THE FUTURE FUTURE, GOD FORBID)

I'LL BE PRAYING & WISHING FOR YOU TO HAVE A SAFE JOURNEY.        NANCY
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 12:49:35 pm »
Hey Rebarman,
My wife bought a cane for me on the way home from the hospital which only a two day stay. I used it for about a day and a half and then graduated to walls and furniture to grab onto when needed. You'll be fine; try not to worry too much; in my case it was easier than I imagined. I will pray for you. I'm not an overly religious man, but I do believe in the power of prayer. I sure had a lot of people praying for me and it paid off. I'm four monts post-op and feel great. Take your time on the recovery; I rushed back to work in 4 weeks; I should have waited another two, but it worked out ok.

I'm courious about your handle. I'm in the fastener. fabrication and importing business and move a lot of rebar to construction trade.

Good Luck...
Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

rebarman

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 01:14:47 pm »
Thanks for the info, as has been said before you all are the greatest when it comes to information and support.

I was thinking that the walker would not help as much since I would seem to be leaning forward on it, and not really learning how to balance myself. A cane I though might be useful if for no other reason than something to "catch myself" if I felt like I was falling.

Terry, yes my name is based upon rebar. I make rebar shop drawings for commercial buildings. I sit at my desk (at home) and design the reinforcing steel that is needed. I make a drawing that is used in the field, telling the ironworker what to place where. At the same time I make a list of materials that I send to the fabricator telling them what to fab and ship to the jobsite.

I hope that by my working at home, the recovery process will be a little faster than if I had to go to an office. My desk is only about 12 steps from my bedroom. I can get up, work a while, then if I get too tired, just go lay down for a nap. I don't have set office hours, so I work a few hours, rest a few, and just keep building up my strength. At least that is the plan.   :)

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:05:30 pm »
Rebarman,
I very familiar with your occupation. We sell stell fabricators A325 TC Bolts, Hex Bolts. Plates, Shear Connectos etc..I t sounds like I'm making a sales pitch, but I'm not.  As a matter of fact. I know of project Manager for a steel fabricator who is member of our AN club. I'm in the St. Louis, Missouri area; perhaps we've worked with some of the same people in the past.
Anyway, I'm just making a connection, I feel the cane will give you enough confidence to navagated around the house without a problem. It's great you can work from home. I think it's very common to worry yourself back to the office too soon.

Good Luck,
Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 05:35:31 pm »
I had considerable imbalance for a week or so and had someone to watch over me for that time.  The hospital personnel made me stick to the handrail.  But I wasn't sent for therapy.  The world whirls straightened out for me quickly as I did head and neck exercises while walking several times a day.  I didn't get a cane, nor a walker but considered it.  I thought, "If I were recovering on my own and at home alone, I'd use a cane."  

There were times when I used a small lightweight chair to drag around beside me.  I still use a chair for bending over to pick things up if I have a bad barometer day.

I did take precautions in the shower with a seat.  I still use a rubber mat in the bottom of the shower floor.  I am taking no chances on breaking a bone.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 05:43:27 pm by Boppie »

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:38:17 pm »
I had a walker for a about two months.  I also had trouble with my vision and needed the walker probably more because I couldn't see which of course has a big affect on your balance.  Shower chair was a big help!  Closing the eyes in the shower really threw me off.  Funny how we all have such different outcomes. 

Obita

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:06:22 pm »
Hello rebarman:

I wouldn't worry about the cane or walker.  If you need one or the other, they will send you home from the hospital with them.

I didn't need anything.  I was a tapper.  I tapped everything for security.  Walls, doorframes, kitchen counters, chair backs, dog's head etc....for the first week or so.  Just a tap so I knew something was there to hang on to if needed.  I walked through the hospital and the tunnel to the parking ramp on discharge day tapping the handrails all the way.  My sister couldn't believe I wanted to walk.  Surgery was Thursday AM and my walk to the ramp was Sunday AM.

I wish for you rebarman, an easy recovery. 

Oh, and one other thing. Usually the more trouble you had before surgery with your balance, the easier it will be for you after your vestibular nerve is gone.  Usually.

Good luck,  Kathy

PS: Can someone in your family come on and let us know how you are doing until you are home and back on the pc?
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Static

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 09:27:46 pm »
Hi Rebarman:
Like Kathy said, they will send you home with whatever you need, that's what they did for me.  I hated the thought of using a walker but it did help and felt better than relying on the nurse who didn't make me feel steady enough while walking.  I didn't have any balance issues before going in so afterwards..... well, it took quite a while.  My physical therapist insisted on me using the walker at home so when she stopped by, I used it and when she wasn't around, I just grabbed from one thing to the next to balance myself except in the dark.  I could feel my progress better that way than using the walker all the time.  We all do things at our own pace and I hope yours is a fast one!  Take care and keep us posted when you can!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Jeanlea

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 09:45:56 pm »
Hi Rebarman,

Good luck with your surgery.  Hope all goes well and you recover quickly.  My stay in the hospital ended up being 8 days.  I did some therapy in the hospital.  They asked me if I would like to take home a cane with me.  I felt more comfortable with it so I took one.  I used it for about a week or two.  I ditched it after my first visit to my PT who mentioned that he noticed I was using one.  Well!  I took it as a challenge and ditched it that day.  lol  It was only for my security anyway. 

We'll be waiting to hear how you are doing after your surgery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

rebarman

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 10:58:14 pm »
Again, thanks to all. This place really is great for getting feedback.

Since I posted the original question I was called by Emory Hosp. and told that they are going to have to move my surgery from the 11th of Jan. till the 29th of Jan. Dr. Olson has a conflict that he can't rearrange.

AAAArrrrggggghhhhh.

Just when I was set mentally to get this thing cut out, I get told that I'll have to wait another 2 1/2 weeks. That's keeping the old blood pressure up there.   :-\

It could be worse I guess, it could be raining......

Anyway, thanks again everybody. I have told my wife to come on the board after I get out of surgery and let you all know how it went. Of course, asking her to do something, and her remembering to do it are 2 different things.   ;D

Do they let you have laptops in the room? I'm going to need something to do while I'm not sleeping. Of course, that is "assuming" I will feel like doing anything.

Keith (rebarman)

kerri lyn angel

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 08:31:09 pm »
i never really got to walk in the hospital as they had me flat out for 9 days with spinal tap to fix a leak but they sent me home with a walker which i used only for about a week and a half. i  do still walk in public with a cane. even though my surgery was a year and a half ago and i did go to lots of balance therapy i still dont have good balance and get very "wibbly" sometimes. i just find that i need to be slow and careful and use shopping carts whenever possible. i dont drive but thats okay because my husband takes me wherever i need to go. i'm pretty lucky in that respect. ive heard that some people get their balance back. i will pray that you will be among them.    kerri
large an removed june 1, 2005 14.5 hour trans lab surgery permenantly disabled but breathing