Author Topic: facial weakness with exercise  (Read 5007 times)

amylynn

facial weakness with exercise
« on: January 08, 2007, 09:52:49 pm »
Hello to all!  Happy new Year!  I have been holding off and I am 10 or so weeks post-op but tonight I participated in a 45 min. indoor cycle class.  I didnt push too hard but the area of my incision was aching.  I felt pressure  and tinnitus in my ear but always do during activity since the surgery.  The problem is that after the class my left eye was much worse than it has been in weeks.  It would not close all the way yet, anyway, but is even much more open now.  It was also a little harder to speak.   My doc's agree that I should not be able to make my face worse no matter what activity I do.   What if they are wrong?  they say my face will probably eventually return to what it was within a year or so but am I making it permanent?  I dont know if in my case its different.  That was my question when  post op day 11, the day following my flight home,  I woke up  with left-side facial paralysis but no sign of problems the first 10 days following the surgery.   Is there anyone else that has or has had a change in facial function with activity?  I wonder if I should just stop trying to exercise for now.  Exercise was my "therapy" before this surgery and I am getting frustrated.  Oh, and the eye doc I see does not want to rush into an eyelid weight.  I use ointment day and night, gel drops dont work.   
Otherwise life is really good. 
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: facial weakness with exercise
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 06:25:41 am »
Hi Amy,
Wish I had your exercise motivation !! (wanna come to florida & be my personal trainer ??)

Anyway, I have NEVER heard of this happening -
I'd be curious to know what your docs say about it.   I don't understand how increasing circulation, heartrate, etc., could cause the symptoms
you're having.  Something's causing it.  ( wonder if somehow the exercise is causing some minimal  internal facial swelling, which is pinching the
facial nerve ???).

Hope you get some answers, sorry I can't help.

Best wishes Amy,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

amylynn

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 03:33:34 am »
Nancyann,
I have always wanted to visit Florida!
My doc wants me to send a photo.  He said it is unusual for this to happen.   
I will let you know if I do get some answers.
Thank you for your reply.
Amy
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:20:55 pm »
I know with fatigue my symtpoms are more prevelant. Wonder if your body is reacting to the fatigue part. The increase in blood flow makes sense too.  I think you should give nancyann and I your exercise enthusiasm and you can take it easy for a while  :o)  Maybe try less aeorobic exerising for a bit to see what kind of affect that has.  Let us know what the doc says. Interesting.  Amy Fl would welcome you with open arms!

matti

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:43:23 am »
My facial paralysis has recovered to 85% and I will be 9 years post op in July. When I overdo it on talking, smiling or having to be in the sun and squinting too much, I will get areas on my AN side that will spasm and sometimes get stuck in a certain position, such as the corner of my mouth will pull up and remain that way for an hour or so.

I bet the increased blood flow from exercise, overworking muscles that have not been used in awhile and also the fatigue has something to do with it, but this is something that you should really check with your doctor about, especially since you are only 10 week post op.

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

lmurray69

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 07:41:43 pm »
Hi Amy glad that you are here. But sorry that you are having face problems.I have been doing pretty good. except when I go ou tin the cold. then my face draws up. but so far nothing stays very long. I hope that you go to see another eye doc just for a second opion from what I have read on here those eye weights are put in sooner not later. but I may be wrong.. wish you the best Linda
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/