Author Topic: use a cane or walker?  (Read 9519 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: use a cane or walker?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 06:35:56 pm »
No cane or walker needed here, but it did help to have a person to help me do my walk around the block. I had no shower chair at first, but did get one eventually--the Johnson's No More Tears Baby Shampoo was a big help. I was pretty mobile after 3 weeks, but walked like a one year old old most of the time--flat footed with arms out. Folks with smaller tumors generally have bigger balance problems due to the fact that their brains haven't compensated for the vestibular loss during surgery.

Good Luck,

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

JohnC23

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 08:24:55 pm »
I used a walker for a few weeks post op, mainly for going from the bed to the bath room.  My balance was very poor, but my physical activity was so limited the first few weeks that it did not matter.  I also used a shower seat that my wife got at walmart for relatively cheap.  (and that was worth every penny)  I am not sure about your surgery rebarman, but my procedure did not allow me to read, watch TV or look at the computer for a few weeks post op.  It made me light headed and dizzy when I tried to do those things.  That made for my stay and later follow up stay for my CSF leak kinda boring.  So you might not want that laptop for your stay at the hospital.
Good Luck to you.  John
Suboccipital transmeatal, left side, April 7-2006 @ University of Cincinnati Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.  (Dr. Philip Theodosopoulos, Mayfield Group and Dr. Myles Pensak, U.C. Head and Neck Surgery)  4 year post-op MRI done Oct. 2010 and was all cear!

lmurray69

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 08:29:28 pm »
I used the cain as I had used it before and after surgery. It helps with stediness. I want to say that it iisnt the ballance that is major..Mine was my eyes. the lite flashes off walls and floors. I used a mask you use for sleepiing and a eye gel pack when my eyes get tired. also lubricateing eye drops. I also bought a curved pillow . it was really helpfull in the bed and car. We drove from Missouri to california. if the sun got to me i used the mask. I had surgey NOV 1 2006, I walk by my self. but I have problems lik ewe have 12 inches of snow and it is hard to walk on the snow. also it is too bright for my eyes..wish you the best..be sure and get the eye drops ..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/